PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to eat just the egg whites and throw out the yolk?

Sh!mA
03-31-2004, 04:39 PM
I CANT STAND YOLK! I heard it contained half of the protein though... opinions?

EdgarMex
03-31-2004, 04:59 PM
Wrong forum

If you don't like the yolk don't eat it, but there's nothing wrong with it. some folks here buy cartons of egg whites, so if you don't like the yolks you could get those instead of eggs

bentkarnes
03-31-2004, 05:00 PM
with ya on this one, i throw em out then i boil eggs, but eat em when i scramble them, all i know is were getting less cholesterol

latinomasfino
03-31-2004, 06:12 PM
yea u can buy egg beaters half a cup is like 2 eggs thats like 12Protein without yolk cuase when u dump the yolk u are throwing away like 55% of the protein in the egg

TheAznMix
03-31-2004, 07:33 PM
wats wrong with yolk? yolks make the egg.... it'd be like seeing michael jordan with hair, marilyn manson kissing a baby or michael douglas and catherine zeta jones kissing.... just NOT RIGHT.... :confused:

nah jp... but yah i love the yolk....

drew
03-31-2004, 08:46 PM
If you don't like the yolk, don't eat it, and eat more whites.

Just remember, most of us eat things we don't really like because we "Wanna Be BIG" :D

zen
03-31-2004, 08:55 PM
Most of the protein is in the eggwhite, so it's no problem at all to throw out the yoke. Infact, it's better for you because the yoke has major cholesterol.

WaterWalker
03-31-2004, 10:07 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that an egg white for a large egg only contained three grams of protein. That is not a lot.

latinomasfino
03-31-2004, 11:13 PM
i think ur right on that one becuase the yolk contains most of the amino acids for the egg

zen
04-01-2004, 06:33 AM
I don't beleive that is true.
The egg albumen (white) is what is actually used to make some amino acid pills you buy off the shelf at GNC (or wherever). Look at the bottles when you are in there because I'm almost postitive that I've seen this.

Perhaps the yoke has a lot too. That much I am not very sure about.

GrumpyTX
04-01-2004, 07:37 AM
I normally split it up. If I am eating 6 eggs, I will mix two whole eggs in with 4 whites.

GonePostal
04-01-2004, 08:10 AM
I don't beleive that is true.
The egg albumen (white) is what is actually used to make some amino acid pills you buy off the shelf at GNC (or wherever). Look at the bottles when you are in there because I'm almost postitive that I've seen this.

Perhaps the yoke has a lot too. That much I am not very sure about.
A simple search will turn up you are wrong. Don't just "believe" something... The yolk and white have roughly the same amount of protien in them (the yolk winning out by a hair).

Shao-LiN
04-02-2004, 01:01 AM
I CANT STAND YOLK! I heard it contained half of the protein though... opinions?

No, it is not ok. It is a mortal sin not to eat yolk. I'd rather get fatter than not eat the yolk...

/sarcasm off

Depends on your goals. If you don't want the fat, don't eat it. If you want more protein and hate the yolk, get some egg beaters or double up with more egg whites.

Ebu
04-02-2004, 02:59 PM
Wrong forum

Um, how is this question in the wrong forum, lol?

DTM3
04-02-2004, 03:11 PM
Although yolk has lots of protein in it, it also has a massive amount of cholesterol. Its your choice whichever way you look at it.

I used to eat all my eggs with my yolk (when I boiled them). The yolk is nasty, so I ate the yolk with the addition of herbs, spices, and bread. But I dont eat all my yolks anymore.

EdgarMex
04-02-2004, 03:28 PM
Um, how is this question in the wrong forum, lol?

It was originally posted in the bodybuilding/fitness forum :)

Bullet
04-02-2004, 04:45 PM
I wait till they hatch and then eat them, more protien less fat..

KeMiKaL
04-02-2004, 05:12 PM
i used to not be able to eat eggs at all, until I put ketchup on my scrambled eggs.

Was amazing, all I could taste was the ketchup, so now I eat 4+ a day ;)

PiKappaWRX
04-03-2004, 01:51 PM
An article was written on wannabebig.com talking about this exact topic. Here you go guys, read this: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=55

Budiak
04-04-2004, 01:37 AM
I wait till they hatch and then eat them, more protien less fat..

In a perfect world! I could see a bodybuilder with a hatchery in his closet. Sounds reasonable, doesnt it? Takes a lot of capital to start something like that though, and you'd have to buy feed for the ****ers, too. Hm.

The eggs don't peck at you though.

I split it up. I don't eat a lot of eggs because I hate cleaning pans and I'm afraid of boiling water. When I do cook eggs, I usually do half and half whole eggs and whites in order to avoid the fat, but the nutrition of the yolks is important, too. If you're on a very fat-restricted diet, egg whites are a great way to get protein but remember that each egg white has some 80mg sodium, and that adds up quite quickly. Eggs also often produce very raunchy gas, so if you're going to be farting all day, you might as well do it with as many calories as possible.

Cholesterol is also very important to your diet, and if you watch what you eat, you can probably afford the cholesterol in a few egg yolks a day. If all you eat is chicken breasts, lean beef, whole wheat bread, yogurt, Low fat Milk, and other clean food sources, go ahead and eat the yolks. If you're a fatass shutin who lives off of Hot Pockets and delivered pizza, you should probably stay away from egg yolks.

Though eggs are cheap, I still dont like wasting food, so I feel guilty throwing away perfectly good, very nutritious calories in the form of egg yolks.

PiKappaWRX
04-04-2004, 03:45 AM
so in conclusion, eat clean and eat the damn yolks.

Budiak
04-05-2004, 05:04 AM
Bingo.