PDA

View Full Version : Diet Timing for Muscle Growth

Y2A
04-01-2004, 07:44 AM
If muscle growth is the goal, is the post-workout time the key window for getting nutrients into the body? For example, if you ate at maintenance, with the only exception being a high calorie carb/protein shake post-workout, would this work? Say it was 500 calories and you work out 4 times per week, thats 2000 extra calories in the week, but you only have the extra calories post-workout. Does this make any sense or am I still sleeping :rolleyes: :angel:

galileo
04-01-2004, 08:27 AM
Your surplus for the day would allow you to put on weight.

Protein synthesis from exercise is more than doubled at 24 hours after working out (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=8563679) and returns rapidly to baseline at 36 hours. So, over the next 24 hours you're going to enjoy the pleasures of better MPS. I think this is part of Haycock's HST justification as well. So, you should just take advantage of that window. You're basically stopping catabolism with your post workout shake and taking advantage of the fact that your muscle insulin sensitivity increases from working out and your glycogen synthesis increases, leading to more of the protein you're intaking to go to the muscle. That has a smaller window, I believe, which is why people like to use whey/dextrose, although some people overdo it and end up getting fat.

So, I'd suggest you use a small pre/during workout shake and a small post-workout shake, then just keep your protein and clean carbs at a good level the rest of the time. Working out often is a good idea for the protein synthesis benefits alone.

An aside: One thing that I've suggested people do is drink your post workout shake with a fairly high amount of calories, then follow that with some HIIT sprints, but still leave yourself with a surplus for the day. There is some evidence that fat oxidation remains high on a subject who follows high carb meals with exercise. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11430771&dopt=Abstract) It's only theory, but if you're below maintenance for the day and workout in the evening, when you workout you're creating somewhat of a deficit and some fat oxidation. Overloading on the carbs afterward, then following that with something that further promotes this action, may help with keeping your gains lean. It has worked pretty well for some drug-free bodybuilders, It may be the HIIT more than anything.

Y2A
04-01-2004, 08:40 AM
Damn that was a good answer :D Thanks man.

Dedicated
04-01-2004, 08:41 AM
An aside: One thing that I've suggested people do is drink your post workout shake with a fairly high amount of calories, then follow that with some HIIT sprints, but still leave yourself with a surplus for the day. There is some evidence that fat oxidation remains high on a subject who follows high carb meals with exercise. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11430771&dopt=Abstract) It's only theory, but if you're below maintenance for the day and workout in the evening, when you workout you're creating somewhat of a deficit and some fat oxidation. Overloading on the carbs afterward, then following that with something that further promotes this action, may help with keeping your gains lean. It has worked pretty well for some drug-free bodybuilders, It may be the HIIT more than anything.

Interesting. Postworkout I usually have 300 calories total, which is 44 grams of whey protein and 12 carbs coming from white bread, and another 6 carbs coming from the protein. Is this enough carbs before moving onto an HIIT session that lasts 10 to 15 minutes? Also about 30 minutes to 1 hour after my workout I eat another meal that contains protein and carbs if that has to be taken into consideration. I'm cutting btw.

galileo
04-01-2004, 09:08 AM
Interesting. Postworkout I usually have 300 calories total, which is 44 grams of whey protein and 12 carbs coming from white bread, and another 6 carbs coming from the protein. Is this enough carbs before moving onto an HIIT session that lasts 10 to 15 minutes? Also about 30 minutes to 1 hour after my workout I eat another meal that contains protein and carbs if that has to be taken into consideration. I'm cutting btw.

I would think it would be even more beneficial when cutting. I would also follow the small protein shake pre/during and post, likely using 22g whey in one 22g in the other. As far as carbs, it's up to you. When cutting I've lately preferred using a cleaner source like oatmeal or oatbrand, but it's very debatable as to whether or glucose based carbs are the way to go. Basically, I'd account for my daily deficit and just add a little extra in the pre-workout for the HIIT.

You can push the second meal post-workout to the 1 hour mark and do 15 minutes of HIIT and you'll be in good shape.

Dedicated
04-01-2004, 01:06 PM
Great thanks:)