PDA

View Full Version : DE Squat: Wave Percentages?

ElPietro
04-02-2004, 07:44 AM
Wondering if anyone has a quick link or blurb on waving percentages on speed squats. I know I read somewhere that bench you pretty much keep the same weight for speed sets, but on squats you do a wave of percentages? Is this over a series of workouts, or throughout a single workout?

Generally for speed work I'm doing 8 sets of 3 and I usually use something like 225 or 245, which would be ~55% of 1RM. Not sure if I should be changing the weight often during a workout or over a series so if someone could point me to an article or gimme their thoughts I'd appreciate it.

Paul Stagg
04-02-2004, 09:01 AM
For DE squatting, I wave from 60% to about 70% of my last max.

Tate, in the WSB seminar tapes, suggest you lower that percentage as you become more advanced.

I do the wave over 4 weeks:
Week 1 8x2 @ 60%
Week 2 8x2 @ 65%
Week 3 8x2 @ 68%
Week 4 8x2 @ 70%
Then repeat the wave for 4 weeks, and try to get faster on each week - be faster the second week 1, for example.

ElPietro
04-02-2004, 09:07 AM
Do you do fast eccentrics Paul? Usually I'm doing it fast at all points in the ROM, but I wonder if you get to 70% if it would be better to just control it down more, and pause and explode.

Bleh, 70% would be ~300, I'd probably be slow out of the hole and then fast on lockout, as my regular squats are. Although, if I did them with 2 reps it would probably be a lot easier, as I currently use 3. Not sure if the 2 vs 3 rep thing is written in stone or not.

Maki Riddington
04-02-2004, 10:00 AM
I've used something similarly to what Paul has mentioned.

Paul Stagg
04-02-2004, 11:03 AM
The idea behind the rep count, other than volume, is that the time it takes to do 2 reps on DE day is about the same is the time it takes to do a max lift.

(same for 3 on DE bench day).

I would lose my speed trying to do 3 reps at 70%.

If the %'s are too high for you to be fast, drop them.

Do them under control down to the box, release hip flexors, then explode up.

ElPietro
04-02-2004, 11:10 AM
I don't use box squats, but I see what you mean. I hope to some day incorporate box squatting into my routine. Maybe I'll build a box.

KrAzY
04-02-2004, 10:57 PM
I don't use box squats, but I see what you mean. I hope to some day incorporate box squatting into my routine. Maybe I'll build a box.

Just mooch a cardboard one of the right size off of someone. :idea: