PDA

View Full Version : Dieting/Exercising inquiries

FortunesFool
04-03-2004, 11:52 AM
Hey everyone,

Its been a while.. so I am kinda off when it comes to giving myself some advice. I dont wanna overdue it or not do enough at the same time. I got a couple of questions, first one,

protein supplements, which ones actually.. taste.. good? lol.. I have Weider's 90% protein powder.. First off, not to judge Weiders line of products, but this thing REALLY sucks. I've tried to add like.. 1/2 of what I was supposed to into my shake and its still bad.. does anyone know of any good protein shakes which atleast taste semi-decent? if so, what flavour (if any?)

calorie intake and exercising, im 6'3, 250, trying to get down to about 190-200 (after that I will start to bulk), I am strictly trying to diet, but I dont wanna make my skin all saggy and stuff, thats what I am mainly worried about, especially if I try to lose in total about 60lbs. How much should my calorie intake be? 2000 or so? (I go to the gym every day for maybe 2 hours? 1 hour is cardio on the cardio machines), what kind of foods should I be eating?

Cardio Machines, I go on different cardio machines in hopes to lose weight, do those things actually help if I go on them alot? I take about 1 hour of my gym time to either to a quick walk or a light jog (im too self conscious about my body to run on them...) However, should I be on those? what other stuff should I do at a gym to help me lose weight? (im guessing running on the track, which I started to do, but I cant run for extended periods of length due to a problem, I get chest pains after a minute or two in and my vision goes blurry (well.. hmm.. its a pulsing blurry.. stays on beat with my heartbeat, every time a beat hits it fragments my vision until the beat stops)

Anyone got any helpful tips? Thanks for your time!

raniali
04-03-2004, 01:12 PM
protein supplements, which ones actually.. taste.. good? lol.. I have Weider's 90% protein powder.. First off, not to judge Weiders line of products, but this thing REALLY sucks. I've tried to add like.. 1/2 of what I was supposed to into my shake and its still bad.. does anyone know of any good protein shakes which atleast taste semi-decent? if so, what flavour (if any?)

wrong person to offer advice here as i find them all pretty much atrocious. however, atlarge has had rave reviews and i can drink their stuff without too much issue.

calorie intake and exercising, im 6'3, 250, trying to get down to about 190-200 (after that I will start to bulk), I am strictly trying to diet, but I dont wanna make my skin all saggy and stuff, thats what I am mainly worried about, especially if I try to lose in total about 60lbs. How much should my calorie intake be? 2000 or so? (I go to the gym every day for maybe 2 hours? 1 hour is cardio on the cardio machines), what kind of foods should I be eating?

2000 calories is WAYYYYY too low for your bodyweight. A minimum I would shoot for would be 2500 (10*bw). At least 250g protein (1g *lb bw), sufficient good/essential fats and the remainder with good, clean carbs. Fats should be around 20-30% of your total calories. Fish oil or flax are essential fat sources. Nuts, pb, olive oil, avocados all provide good fats. continue to read thru this section for more ideas.

Cardio Machines, I go on different cardio machines in hopes to lose weight, do those things actually help if I go on them alot? I take about 1 hour of my gym time to either to a quick walk or a light jog (im too self conscious about my body to run on them...) However, should I be on those? what other stuff should I do at a gym to help me lose weight? (im guessing running on the track, which I started to do, but I cant run for extended periods of length due to a problem, I get chest pains after a minute or two in and my vision goes blurry (well.. hmm.. its a pulsing blurry.. stays on beat with my heartbeat, every time a beat hits it fragments my vision until the beat stops)

there isn't one machine that will magically cause you to lose weight. a variety is good as it reduces boredom from stationary cardio. try HIIT (do a search for more info) instead of the lengthy hour.

PiKappaWRX
04-03-2004, 01:20 PM
HIIT is good, also search for MaxOT, which is another good strategy that a lot of people have noticed gains from.

JSully
04-03-2004, 02:38 PM
muscle milk is tasty..i havent heard a complaint from anyone yet.. and i like it...tons of diff flavors... even tastes good if you put it on ur oatmeal... mmmmmm...now i want some... gee.. thanks.. im fresh out.. :((

/end muscle milk advertisment

PiKappaWRX
04-03-2004, 02:51 PM
i used 3 buckets of muscle milk, all it did for me really was expand the stomach area. protein powder and some good eating will do anything muslce milk will. just try some creatine, even better.

Budiak
04-04-2004, 01:45 AM
The highest expectation you should have for any protein powder is that it should taste slightly better than horrible. Follow that guideline and you'll be happy. The better a protein powder tastes, the more funky chemicals and other **** are in it.

Pure whey protein in powdered form tastes almost as good as feces blended with milk.

As for saggy skin, I dont think you're fat enough at your height and weight to be worried about any significant amount of losse skin after dieting, unless your bodyfat is somewhere around 35%, which would mean that your musculature would be near inoperative levels.

I get chest pains after a minute or two in and my vision goes blurry (well.. hmm.. its a pulsing blurry.. stays on beat with my heartbeat, every time a beat hits it fragments my vision until the beat stops)

See a doctor. Soon.

FortunesFool
04-04-2004, 08:54 AM
im around 25-30% bf actually... or so I am told

chris mason
04-04-2004, 09:29 AM
If you are getting chest pains and your vision is getting blurry, get to a doctor ASAP before you die of a heart attack!!!!

FortunesFool
04-04-2004, 10:11 AM
Got an appointment for tomorrow. Curious about the body fat thing though, seeing that I am 25-30% bf.. if I diet, exercise, and weight-lift, would my skin be saggy? even if I try to tone with weights? Or is there no way of getting around it, in my case? I just checked and I am 6'3", at 240.. because I posted this in a different thread and I had a caliber test done by 2 ppl, and each one got majorly different answers, one was like.. 19-20, other one was about 30. I did one on a website and I wont even go into that one. lol. It was much higher than both. but yeah, im taking about a year off to lose a good chunk of %bf.

Budiak
04-06-2004, 02:12 AM
How old are you? Your age and skin health will have a large impact on your skin's ability to shrink back down. As you get older your skin's elastic properties will wane significantly.

Besides, even if you do have saggy skin, just build enough muscle to fit in it again.

Also, your composition isnt as big a deal as your proportions. Is it centralized in your midsection or is the fat fairly spread out amongst all of your parts? A lot of people store large amounts of fat in their legs and arms. I, for example, at a younger age with bodyfat levels well over 20%, stored pretty much all of the fat in my torso (belly, lovehandles, chest, back). When I lost the weight I had a lot of loose skin on my stomach and a tiny bit on my inner thighs. Over time it has 'reformed', but as I've bulked up and gained muscle mass, I've been noticing old stretch marks in certain areas opening back up (and they're REALLY big and purple and I'm very, very proud of them).

JSully
04-06-2004, 08:14 AM
i have huge stretch marks on my outerchest/upper arm area... at first i thought they were cool.. but now i think they look stupid. :( and im paranoid everyone makes fun of me because of them...

FortunesFool
04-06-2004, 12:57 PM
---- I started to get stretch marks, but yeah.. About the age and all.. im 17.. 240 at 6'3", lets just say I finally decided to start caring.. Up until about last year, I was 210-220.. and since grade 6 I have been not much less to tell you the truth.. As I kept growing taller, my body fat kinda stayed with me..

---- Reason why I am asking, mainly, to become lean and not worry about sagging skin, to become be able to go to the beach like a normal teenager should, just to let go once in a while. I am self concious to the point to take off my shirt because of the surgery that I had.

----As for the current muscle that I have, I guess from what I was told I have a thick bone structure, for a football player and what not. I have been weight-lifting for about 1 a year at my schools weight-lifting centre for my gym class. (not the best equipment, but it still worked).

----I now have a membership at a fitness forum and I go basically 3-5x a week. I go there for about 2-3 hours.. I usually spend atleast 1 hour on cardio machines, fast paced walk to a jog, varying depending on how many cramps and headaches I get. I take a few minutes off to get my BPM down and leveled.. then weight-lifting for the rest of it. I am still in the process of figuring out a routine..

----Before that course I was 220, then 8-9 months later I went to 250, but I managed to level it off at around 240-244 on a daily basis thus far. I also had a surgery for a reduction on my chest, I have the chance to go and have 1 more surgery to 'fix it up' but I dont know if I should.

----Im guessing I should continue to cut and the bulk up, cuz I dont really wanna bulk up and look bigger than I already am and then cut down.. but I guess I figured that cut then bulk would have less saggyness. Mainly, I think my fat (from what I really dont like about myself - aside from the chest due to surgery) is focused on my legs, gluts, and stomach. And perhaps a bit of my oblique area.. seems that there is a bit more fat there then I'd ever want.

----My diet is for now 2000 calories per day, im managing pretty well but I am probably gonna increase my intake by 300 more.. just means an extra hour at the gym or so..

Any advice or comments or basically anything else that'll help?

raniali
04-06-2004, 01:34 PM
----My diet is for now 2000 calories per day, im managing pretty well but I am probably gonna increase my intake by 300 more.. just means an extra hour at the gym or so..

Any advice or comments or basically anything else that'll help?

why would you increase calories to only work it all off?

2000 cals seems low for your weight. if you are not eating enough in general, weight loss will be very hard because your body thinks it is starving (which it is) and will not be keen to letting go of fat. you might actually lose more muscle keeping cals too low.