PDA

View Full Version : how do you become dehydrated

snow
04-03-2004, 03:22 PM
from drinking too much water? is that possible? i lifted the other day, and drank about 64 oz while lifting. got home and i got this greenish dot in the middle of my eyes like when u look at a light for a minute. this light expanded until everything outlining my whole eyes was sparkly green and i felt like on an acid trip. my dad told me it has happened to him b4 and the eye doc said it was dehyrdation. could this happen 'cuz i drank too much water and pissed it all out (i pissed about 3 or 4 times in 30 minutes)

Y2A
04-03-2004, 04:08 PM
Ive never heard of being dehydrated by drinking too much water bro, but I suppose its possible, Im not an expert...

ogarchamplin
04-03-2004, 04:44 PM
Facts on Hyponatremia
For years, heath care and fitness professionals have stressed the importance of fluid intake and replacement in preventing dehydration. Therefore, most health conscience individuals are educated about dehydration and cases of dehydration have decreased in recent years. Yet, in some cases, people may take dehydration prevention a bit too far and unintentionally drink too much water. Drinking an excessive surplus of water can lead to over-hydration or hyponatremia. Although hyponatremia is rare and seen primarily in serious endurance athletes, such as marathon runners, it can be dangerous and fitness enthusiasts should be aware of the condition.

The MedTerms.com medical dictionary defines hyponatremia as an abnormally low concentration of sodium in the blood. Hyponatremia is also known as “water intoxication.” Sodium (salt and chloride) is an electrolyte, which helps the body distribute water. This is essential for water balance and for your muscles and organs to function effectively. Electrolytes are lost through sweat. When exercising, our body temperature rises and we sweat to keep cool. The more we sweat, the more sodium lost. Sweat loss varies from as little as 16 ounces to over three quarts during each hour of exercise (Gatorade Sports and Science Institute). For this reason, it is important to replace lost body fluids during and after exercise. To completely replace these fluids, you must not only replace water, but also sodium and chloride. Those who consume excessive amounts of water after exercise can further deplete sodium and chloride levels, leading to electrolyte depletion and possibly over-hydration.

Symptoms of Hyponatremia
The symptoms of hyponatremia are very similar to the symptoms of heat illness. Both illnesses can be life threatening, therefore, if you or someone you know is experiencing the symptoms below, it is extremely important to seek medical attention immediately. The most common symptoms are:

Fatigue
Lightheadedness
Weakness
Cramping
Weight gain
Nausea
Bloating and/or swelling
Dizziness
Headache
Confusion
Fainting
Disorientation
Seizures (severe cases)
Coma (severe cases)

Prevention of Hyponatremia
Over-hydration can be easily prevented by carefully monitoring your fluid intake and replacing all necessary fluids after a long bout of intense exercise. USA Track and Field (USATF), the governing body of track and field recommends that exercisers “be sensitive to the onset of thirst as the signal to drink, rather than staying ahead of thirst.” By being aware of when you are thirsty, you will help prevent dehydration as well as decreasing the risk of over-hydration (ACE Fitness Matters). In other words, drink fluid only when you need to. To replace lost fluids during and/or after exercise, drink small amounts of fluid as needed throughout your workout to remain hydrated. Sports drinks, such as Gatorade, contain electrolytes and are therefore a good source of sodium and chloride. Also, prior to a race, endurance athletes may be instructed to eat salty snacks, such as pretzels or tomato juice to build sodium reserves. Furthermore, if an endurance athlete is taking any over-the-counter pain medications or prescription medicine, he or she may be asked to consult a doctor as some medications reduce the body’s capability to conserve salt.

*Important Message*
Remember that hyponatremia is a rare condition for the everyday exerciser, which classifies the majority of the active population. Please do not regularly substitute other fluids for water. Our bodies are made up of approximately 65% water and water intake is essential for healthy living. However, if you consider yourself an endurance athlete (e.g. marathon runner, Ironman triathlete), you also need to replace electrolytes to avoid “water intoxication”. Likewise, please do not increase salt in your diet as a prevention method for hyponatremia as an excess of salt is believed to be a risk factor for hypertension. A sports drink will do the trick for most people.

Stephanie M. Vlach, M.S.

snow
04-03-2004, 06:00 PM
hmm interesting, i wonder if this happened to me. like i said i drank about 64 oz.. but i do usually, but i guess since it's getting a little hotter here and the gym was steamy, i coulda been sweating a lot more.

thanks for the info.

snow
04-03-2004, 09:14 PM
wow, reading up on this i had no idea how serious this can be. thanks a lot, i need to cut down my water intake.

Shao-LiN
04-04-2004, 12:13 AM
hehe

snow
04-04-2004, 02:15 PM
hehe

:confused:

snow
04-08-2004, 02:57 PM
well.. i'm getting a blood test done tomorrow, and he is gonna check if the prognosis ya'll gave me is it..

he said if all my tests come back OK.. i may have to get a cat scan to make sure nothing is growing on my brain :(

he said it could also be a migraine (which i've never got b4) :(:(

wish me luck

Ebu
04-08-2004, 04:03 PM
Yeah, in a fraternity in upstate New York, a kid died from being hazed to drink lots of water. The prob is, the symptoms are almost just like dehydration. Yes, the frat took it too far, forcing him to drink soo much water, but overhydration can happen, as the great info ogarchaplin gave.

Shao-LiN
04-08-2004, 04:12 PM
To "overhydrate" you'd have to consume a lot of water in a short period of time. It's tantemount to drowning. If you're drinking 1-2 gallons a day, and not all at once of course, you should be fine. That's just my opinion.

Max-Mex
04-08-2004, 06:37 PM
As Shao said, it has to be all at once or very SHORT period of time. I've drank about 162 oz of water in 1 day, but it was over the course of 16 hours.

geoffgarcia
04-08-2004, 06:41 PM
As Shao said, it has to be all at once or very SHORT period of time. I've drank about 162 oz of water in 1 day, but it was over the course of 16 hours.
1.5 gallons isn't that much.... you can drink a poop load more than that and be A-OK

8oz = 1 cup
4 cups (32oz) = 1 quart
4quarts (128oz) = 1 gallon

some extra water info I found 2 days ago

It is possible for a person to drink too much water.
It is called water intoxication.
What happens is the sodium level in the blood reaches very low levels (because of dilution by excess water which can only be excreted in the urine, sweat or breath). This disturbs water balance in the brain, which can cause epileptic seizures and even death.

Research has shown that a person can safely drink up to 10 liters of water a day. An exception would be persons with kidney disease who are limited in the amount of water they can drink per day. Persons with bladder infections benefit from increasing their water intake.
http://www.dietitian.com/fluids.html

A large volume of water thins the blood and can actually make you "drunk." It washes water soluble nutrients (such as B vitamins) from the body. For a few persons with congestive heart disease or other conditions, serious edema or other conditions might occur. The kidneys have to work harder to remove the excess water from the body and that too must be taken into account. Someone drinking a lot of water would have to take vitamins and minerals to replace those purged from the body and would have to carefully avoid salt.
http://www.prisoners.com/cwaterd.html

"water intoxication." Is usually associated with long distance events like running and cycling, it’s not an unusual problem.
For example, water intoxication was reported in 18% of marathon runners and in 29% of the finishers in a Hawaiian Ironman Triathlon in studies published recently in the Annals of Internal Medicine and in Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise respectively.

What happens is that as the athlete consumes large amounts of water over the course of the event, blood plasma (the liquid part of blood) increases. As this takes place, the salt content of the blood is diluted. At the same time, the athlete is losing salt by sweating. Consequently, the amount of salt available to the body tissues decreases over time to a point where the loss interferes with brain, heart, and muscle function.

The official name for this condition is hyponatremia. The symptoms generally mirror those of dehydration (apathy, confusion, nausea, and fatigue), although some individuals show no symptoms at all. If untreated, hyponatremia can lead to coma and even death.

Enough, but not too much. The fluid requirement for the majority of endurance athletes, under most conditions, is about 8 to 16 ounces per hour. There is considerable variation here, of course, due to individual sweating rates, body size and weight, heat and humidity, and running speed, and other factors. Still, much more than this amount of fluid is, in most instances, probably physiologically excessive as well as uncomfortable, as liquid sloshes around in the gut during the activity.

It is now thought people should follow the dictates of thirst and not to exceed 1-1.5 quarts per hour
http://healthfactsandfears.com/featured_articles/jul2003/water072403.html

1 liter = 4.22675282 US cups
1 US gallon = 3.7854118 liters
1 US cup = 8 US fluid ounces
1 US quart = 4 US cups
1 US gallon = 4 US quarts

SOO!!! it appears that
4-6 cups, or 32-48oz per hour is close to the limit

and 42 cups, 336oz, 2.65 gallons is around the safe daily intake limit, although its considered VERY high and beyond overkill

snow
04-08-2004, 07:15 PM
yeah..

i drank 64 oz over a period of a hour or less