PDA

View Full Version : What type of Bench shirt/ How much Improvement

dawk20
04-04-2004, 08:45 PM
Hey, I was just wondering what type of shirts people use and how much improvement there getting out of them... I have a Titan Fury and will be maxing with it tomorrow, my raw bench is 335 right now so I'll report back with any improvement. Let me know guys

DontGiveUp
04-05-2004, 05:10 AM
Well, you have to learn how to use it. As for your maxout, if it's a single ply you should get about 355, and if it's a double ply you should get 365. That's if the shirt is real tight. With a little practice you'll get a little more.

ElPietro
04-05-2004, 06:49 AM
I think he'll probably get more than that when he gets used to it. I don't think I've heard of anyone only getting 20 lbs out of a shirt before. It all depends if your weakness is at lockout or not. Since the shirt won't be helping you there. I think most people I've heard get in the range of 30-60 lbs on average. 20 I think is a tad low.

phreak
04-05-2004, 07:32 AM
agreed. 10% for a single-ply poly is fairly standard.

TrevorN
04-05-2004, 03:09 PM
excuse my ignorance, but what is a Bench Shirt and what does it do?

dawk20
04-05-2004, 05:58 PM
Trevor. here's a link for you to check out

http://www.titansupport.com/products/shirts/fury.htm

Everyone else, thanks for the replies but I was actually wondering what types of shirts you were usin and how well they worked...I didn't really need advice but thank you guys anyway for it

Adam
04-05-2004, 06:01 PM
Im using an EHPHD and i did 270 touch n'go raw and 303paused with the shirt.

phreak
04-06-2004, 01:03 AM
Sorry Trevor, must have misread. When I trained with a shirt I did 385 raw and 450 shirted. (EHPHD, tailored it a bit within IPF limits)

CoolBeans
04-27-2004, 11:33 PM
I have 345 raw and 395 with my Titan Fury shirt. But i'm fairly sure I can get 405-410 with it now.

chris mason
04-28-2004, 09:37 AM
How much a shirt helps you is a very individual thing. It varies between individuals and between shirt types (single, double etc.).

Harrison486
05-17-2004, 06:29 PM
Maybe im just being ignorant...but isnt wearing somethign that causes you to lift more almost like cheating?

JTyrell710
05-17-2004, 06:48 PM
yea im kinda warry of these bad boys too, i read the website, but how exactly would a tight shirt help you that much?

ItalianGalleon
05-17-2004, 07:00 PM
That's good to hear coolbeans, if I can extrapolate here. I'm about in your range, and thinking about getting into powerlifting, so 400 would definitely be a nice amount to be putting up.

Max-Mex
05-17-2004, 08:36 PM
yea im kinda warry of these bad boys too, i read the website, but how exactly would a tight shirt help you that much?

Acts like a spring for what I've seen. If you've ever seen someone wear one, their arms are pushed forward. The main purpose of the shirt is to protect the shoulders. The other purpose is to help with the lift. Not everyone gets the same results with the same shirt. Depends on type, and how experienced the lifter is with a shirt (meaning knowing how to use a shirt properly).

biggimp
05-18-2004, 06:52 PM
when you're laying on your back, the shirt makes your arms want to stick straight up. with a good shirt, and the bar in your hands, you actually have to pull down to get the bar to your chest. you can see how this would make pushing weight back up a lot easier.

Chris Rodgers
05-26-2004, 06:38 PM
Getting a high quality shirt, training properly and really learning how to use it can make a big difference!!

My best raw bench I ever tried is 235 and I have hit 350 in a double denim. This is a very big difference, but I have seen bigger guys get 200+ from their shirts!

Saturday Fever
05-26-2004, 07:30 PM
Chris, this is off topic but what are you weighing these days? Still in the 165 realm?

Chris Rodgers
05-26-2004, 08:19 PM
I am usually between 156-158 in the morning. I've recently been as high as 161 when training in the evening.

emjlr3
06-03-2004, 12:48 PM
this is the weirdest thing I have ever heard, so the shirt helps you push the weight up?? that is cheating...no? never even heard of something like this before today..heh

ElPietro
06-03-2004, 12:57 PM
A glove helps you catch a baseball too. What's your point?

Darracq
06-03-2004, 01:13 PM
Thats a great point Elpietro. I dont use a shirt but i plan to in the future.

emjlr3
06-03-2004, 01:21 PM
try catching a pop up w/o a glove, dont work to well, or a 90 mph fastball from a pitcher......benching has been done since it's invention w/o these...but the way I hear you guys talk about it i think i might, I have been up and down twice now, got up to 275 bench twice, hurt my shoulder and went back down to 215...I'm back up there now again and would like to stay there and not hurt my shoulder again...i think i might look into getting one of these, do they help keep your shoulder from getting hurt?.....and do they give you the same workout as w/o one? also I don't think anyone has answered the question but what is the best kind of shirt to get? hehe id love to go back to school putting up 350..laugh in that guys face who beat me by 5 lbs in the bp contest we had...

also, what is the deal with the single and double ply, and which is best to get?

ElPietro
06-03-2004, 01:25 PM
Yes, the point I was getting at, is one that many fail to grasp regarding powerlifting. Powerlifting is a sport. It has nothing to do with bodybuilding. You are not judged in powerlifting based on symmetry or the size of your quad sweep, you are judged on lifting an amount of weight, within a set of rules and regs. These rules specify form, technique, and equipment. Just like in college baseball they may use aluminum bats, but in the majors they use wood. Powerlifting has feds that say you can use only single ply poly, while others you can use double, or denim, or double denim, etc.

So no, they are not cheating, if they were bodybuilders maybe you could say that, but again, bodybuilding isn't concerned about how much you lift, but how big and symmetrical you are, so equipment in that regard would be fairly useless. It would only be cheating if you are trying to do something outside the rules and not get caught. This would be something like changing your equipment to aid you but making it outside the regs, or taking drugs in a drug free federation, etc.

ElPietro
06-03-2004, 01:31 PM
try catching a pop up w/o a glove, dont work to well, or a 90 mph fastball from a pitcher......benching has been done since it's invention w/o these...but the way I hear you guys talk about it i think i might, I have been up and down twice now, got up to 275 bench twice, hurt my shoulder and went back down to 215...I'm back up there now again and would like to stay there and not hurt my shoulder again...i think i might look into getting one of these, do they help keep your shoulder from getting hurt?.....and do they give you the same workout as w/o one? also I don't think anyone has answered the question but what is the best kind of shirt to get? hehe id love to go back to school putting up 350..laugh in that guys face who beat me by 5 lbs in the bp contest we had...

also, what is the deal with the single and double ply, and which is best to get?

You posted while I did, so maybe reading my post above yours will clarify what is meant by this. If you aren't going to compete, then I wouldn't recommend a bench shirt. It is removing much of the shoulder from the lift, so you wouldn't really do it to aid in working out a muscle group, it is specifically for the bench. If you have a shoulder injury you should either rehab and strengthen it, or work around it knowing your limitations.

emjlr3
06-03-2004, 01:38 PM
i dont have a shoulder injury and just wanted to use it for bench....but when ever i get to about 275 bp, it starts to hurt my shoulder benching and it screws me over then i have to take months off... so i think it could be a good idea jsut for the simple fact that i wouldht have to worry about my shoulder geetting screwed over again..

ElPietro
06-03-2004, 01:54 PM
What are your goals? If you aren't competing then your numbers really aren't that important, progress is. If you are doing it so you can tell others that you lift more than them, THEN that is what I'd consider cheating, if you don't tell them you are using equipment.

But to me, it seems like you want a shirt for the wrong reasons.

Obviously something must be wrong with your shoulder if it can't handle the weight. Maybe try something different? If you are benching heavy all the time change to dumbells or something else and work it from a different angle or something.

ElPietro
06-03-2004, 01:55 PM
Oh, and I'm not sure you realize, that a bench shirt is so tight that you'll need someone else to help you on and off with it, and for the duration that it's on you'll be walking around with your arms pushed up and out infront of you. It's not like you just zip it up and start benching. Some people struggle for a long time just to get it on with help.

Lil Mendy
06-10-2004, 05:55 PM
Oh, and I'm not sure you realize, that a bench shirt is so tight that you'll need someone else to help you on and off with it, and for the duration that it's on you'll be walking around with your arms pushed up and out infront of you. It's not like you just zip it up and start benching. Some people struggle for a long time just to get it on with help.

Not all bench shirts are that tight. My bench shirt, I can put my arms down. All depends on your groove, and the kind of equipment the lifter uses, and what is comfortable for that person. Lifting gear is very personalized.

BENCH600
06-11-2004, 11:56 AM
I have done 455 raw and 600 with a double denim. weight 214

chris mason
06-11-2004, 02:52 PM
Both are very impressive numbers.