PDA

View Full Version : Very unhappy...

Yah Yah
04-04-2004, 09:16 PM
Hey guys, I'm a new member. :hello:

I'm 21, 5'10" and weigh 135 lbs. I think I am underweight for my height but I'm not sure.

I am seriously sick and tired of being skinny. It's depressing as hell and I hate how I look.

I know nothing about gaining weight and muscle. I bought some weights & whey protien but I usually don't have the energy to lift. I have a very hard time staying dedicated but it's always in the back of my mind.

Can I ever get out of this hole? It seems like its impossible.

Khar
04-04-2004, 10:27 PM
You just need the motivation. Only you can make yourself motivated. There is no 'way' to get out of the hole. You just have to do it.

bentkarnes
04-05-2004, 12:49 AM
i was like you to, taller but just as skinny ( 6'2 and 155 lbs, but packed on 20lbs of lean muscle in 18 weeks) I was definitly sick of being skinny to, very anoyying to be called scrawny and weak. First things first is eat. Your obvuisly going to be a hardgainer so eat like a son of a bitch. Start with WBB#1 routine ( www.wannabebig.com)

If you start lifting seriously and properly, and filling your head with GOOD and CORRECT information youll see huge gains, and once you start to notice the slightest gains youll be more motivated than ever. Once I was gains I couldnt put down the weights and it became a huge part of my life. Check out this site on a daily basis and feed off others peoples questions and input.

Trust me, stick with it and youll be glad you did for the rest of your life, good luck

Drheckler
04-05-2004, 11:08 AM
:withstupi Ask questions and get educated about the proper way to gain good muscle. (This is definitely the place to get the best info). Eat like a demon, and lift heavy with proper form.

Paladyr
04-05-2004, 11:14 AM
The energy will come with eating more, and maybe slightly better. You may need to find help on the correct form and stuff. There are links on this site with animations on how to perform the exercises. Study those, and start with lighter weights. You don't want to start pushing yourself for at least a few sessions, and even then you should gradually start pushing yourself harder.

geoffgarcia
04-05-2004, 01:18 PM
you might want to go see a doctor because you are very underweight.
I can only imagine that you lead an extremely sedentary lifestyle, have a chemical imbalance, or an eating disorder.

What do you eat on a typical day?
Are you a student or working?
Do you or have you participated in sports?
Is your lack of energy tied to a lack of motivation perhaps? (for me I know they are very closely related)

Have you considered joining a gym and getting a personal trainer/nutritionist?
most gyms offer these services and for someone new to the game its a much better alternative to working out at home with limited equipment and no hands on guidance.

Allyrulez
04-05-2004, 02:07 PM
I was the same, ive put on 30lbs since seriously getting into it.. Haveing to wear 2 pairs of trousers etc is in my past thank god... Thou i had the best motivation, i went bald lol

ectx
04-05-2004, 02:29 PM
There are several members on this board who have gained phenomenal amounts of muscle. Loof to them for inspiration. While you are lean, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Eat lots, and train hard. You're at a great place to start. There are several diets and routines that will help you tremendously. Start a journal and attack it with full force. One of the greatest things about your physique, as that barring a severe handicap, you can change it. Best of luck!

Yah Yah
04-05-2004, 10:51 PM
Thanks guys, it made me feel better that some of you have been where I am now. If anyone else has been where I am and wants to say a little somethig I'd appreciate it.

I checked out that great link and it says some of the best foods are:

Lean cuts of beef
Buffalo meat
Chicken
Turkey
Fish of all sorts
Eggs
Peanut butter
Almond butter
Beans of all types (especially soy)
Rice (white rice being the least desirable)
Salads with minimal dressings
Vegetables of all types
Fruits of all types
Skim or 1% milk
Soy milk
Yogurt -
Cheeses of all types

My next question is how in the world do I figure out how many calories, protiens, fats and carbohydrates are in things not labled for such like meat, vegetables, cheeses, etc.?

Paladyr
04-06-2004, 06:23 AM
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Index.html

That should help. And honestly, I think most of us do a lot of estimating when planning a diet. You really just have to start with a diet, and then adjust it based on how quickly you are gaining or losing weight.

Yah Yah
04-06-2004, 10:46 AM
I see. Problem is: I don't know if a chicken breast has 1 calorie, 1 gram of protien, and 1 gram of fat or if it has hundreds of each. That kind of makes it hard for me to estimate.

GrumpyTX
04-06-2004, 10:57 AM
Dont estimate. Go to fitday.com, and you can look up the nutrition based on the serving size of just about anything.

If it is not listed, just create a custom one off of the nutrional lable off of the container the food came in.

Just go look up things you like to eat and figure out a diet from there.

geoffgarcia
04-06-2004, 11:43 AM
I think dietOrganizer is much better than fitday
regardless, it sounds like you should start using one of them

ElPietro
04-06-2004, 11:51 AM
You only have to do it for 2 or 3 weeks and then you will be much quicker at calculating it all in your head. Fitday is quick because you can guestimate, and it has different sizes, such as small/medium/large chicken breast. Stuff like that, or if you weigh it once, and you buy a bunch from the same place, they will all roughly be the same size.

If you have anything you eat regularly that fitday doesn't have in it, you can create a custom food, takes 20 seconds and you just key in the macros and save it.

Yah Yah
04-06-2004, 12:43 PM
Thanks guys. I didn't know it was so easy. Does anyone else suggest I use dietorganizer instead?

geoffgarcia
04-06-2004, 12:47 PM
dietOrganizer does the same, micro and macros, and gives you various charts showing progress vs bf, weight, etc...

try them both, you can use dietOrganizer for free for 7 or 30 days or something like that.
Do a week on one and copy the info to the other and see which has more features that you would use, ease of use, cost, etc...