PDA

View Full Version : Expert Advice Needed

praetorian_069
04-05-2004, 11:32 AM
i been starting working out like 3 months ago since january. The problem is i gain strength but i don't gain much weight. My bench press went from 145 to like 205, shoulder press went from 40 to 60...etc. But I don't get any weight gain. Is there any advice like what supplement to take? or what i am not doing or doing wrong? thanx in advance for the help

ElPietro
04-05-2004, 11:38 AM
Expert advice will cost you, but I shall give you some basic advice (that's free). :)

Make sure you are getting plenty of protein, also make sure you are getting excess calories. Carbs will help give you some energy for workouts and preserve muscle, while healthy fats and protein will help you build it. Track how many calories you are taking in daily for a week or two, and track your weight. If your weight stays relatively the same bump the calories by 500+.

praetorian_069
04-05-2004, 11:47 AM
thanx for the advice ElPietro i wouldn't mind pay for expert advice if it helps lol but if your takng more calories doesn't it will store as fat? sorry i am new at this stuff so i need some explanation lol how do u mean by healthy fats? and i don't have much time to eat since i am a college student so is there like supplement i can just take in replacement of meal let say in the morning or seomthing?

ElPietro
04-05-2004, 11:54 AM
Lol, I was just kidding about expert advice.

As for supplements, you could always get some meal replacement powder. Especially if you aren't eating at all this will help a lot. Healthy fats are basically not the hydgrogenated or deep fried kinda stuff. Things like fish oil, oil from almonds or most other nuts (don't get salted or chocolate covered ;) ) extra virgin olive oil. You can always buy gel caps for these oils as well.

You could always get a box of protein bars as well, that way you can just throw one in your backpack or whatever, and have it during class.

If you aren't gaining weight, then I think slowly adding in calories will not contribute too much to fat. It's hard to gain weight without adding SOME fat. That's why most people will do a bulk, maybe gain 20lbs, and then go on a cut and lose say 10 lbs, and hopefully the difference in the end is more muscle, and a leaner physique.

But for you to grow, bottom line you have to eat more.

ElPietro
04-05-2004, 11:56 AM
Oh, and you could always down a nice big ass glass of milk before bed.

praetorian_069
04-05-2004, 04:49 PM
any suggestion for brand or type of supplement i should use?

Adam
04-05-2004, 05:38 PM
Prolab's N-Large is a good weight-gainer.

raniali
04-05-2004, 06:07 PM
personally i wouldn't suggest a high-cal weight gainer until i knew what your diet looks like. 80% of what you do in the gym is made or broken by the way you eat. if you aren't gaining weight, you need to eat more food. your strength increase is great, but is likely so rapid because you are new to the weight scene. if you get your diet in order, you can continue to see these gains.

Holto
04-05-2004, 08:59 PM
weight gainer = last resort

harryhoudini66
04-05-2004, 10:22 PM
If you cannot get your protein from real foods, then I say get some 100% Whey and take in about 1 gram of protein for each pound you weigh. Also, some creatine with dextrose post workout should help. Drink a gallon of water per day or more. Also, take in some EFA like natrual peanut butter, fish oil etc etc.

Oh an I am no expert but I accpet food stamps for my advice.

Spartacus
04-05-2004, 11:09 PM
track your calories at fitday.com and see how much you're eating. add 250 calories a week and see if you gain. if not, keep adding calories until you do.

start eating more of the healthy fats mentioned, also liquid calories from milk are quite useful to get more. also lots of carbs can be helpful for some people.

praetorian_069
04-05-2004, 11:35 PM
thanx for all the advice guys really appreciate it