PDA

View Full Version : bedtime meals

jazer80
04-05-2004, 07:08 PM
how should i be eating before bed if i'm interested in bulking but keeping body fat down? i know you grow a lot more during the night than the day (or i thought so anyway), but i dont' wanna eat too much hoping to capitalize on this and become less lean. i guess i just wanna konw what portion of your daily caloric intake should be consumed in the hour before sleeping

Jasonl
04-05-2004, 07:16 PM
I have 7 egg white and 1 whole egg right before bed, its filling, tasty, lots of protein, and doesn't have the negative "effects" of drinking something right before bed.

ryuage
04-05-2004, 07:16 PM
i have 1 cup cottage cheese, 2 tbsp natty pb, 1 scoop nitrean

JSully
04-05-2004, 07:53 PM
actually i read that testosterone levels are higher during the day and protein synthesis is more constant during the day than at night...

correct me if im wrong?

jazer80
04-05-2004, 08:42 PM
i was under the impression your body produced most of its testosterone at night. this is why you take zma formulas at bedtime. so i see you guys are taking in a good amount of stuff at nighttime, what do you think about me taking a scoop of weight gainer (@ 625 calories, 125 grams carbs, 25 grams protein, vitamins/minerals)? i noticed your foods were more protein based, whereas this is heavy on carbs too.

JustinASU
04-05-2004, 09:04 PM
Dude, 3 cups cottage cheese, that's 24 ounces, almost 90 gr protein... yeah a whole ****in tub. Puts hair on yer chest.

JSully
04-05-2004, 10:33 PM
this gets kinda pricey... but its REAL good sh1t....dunno where you live but you should be able to get it at a local nutrition store.. its called "PM Micellar Casein".. 23g of protein in it.. real chalky but dissolves alright.. take 2 scoops of that with 16oz milk...that gives you a total of 62protein 24carb and 0 fat (skim milk) .... bad thing is that micellar casein is about 35 per bottle.. and only about 15 servings ...which equals only 7 nights...

but if ya got the money.. its great......

PiKappaWRX
04-06-2004, 11:28 AM
i just have a glass of milk (10-12oz) w/ 5g of glutamine before bed, i hate feeling really full when i go to sleep, but know i need the casein at night to prevent my body from being catabolic.

jazer80
04-06-2004, 04:09 PM
is that amount of protein enough to ensure you are not in a catabolic state? also does anyone have anything to say about what i mentioned earlier about the weightgainer? i think it looks good, but don't know if i need those carbs too.. the details are up this page

Y2A
04-07-2004, 12:55 PM
Dude, 3 cups cottage cheese, that's 24 ounces, almost 90 gr protein... yeah a whole ****in tub. Puts hair on yer chest.

But it makes your head small as fuc!!! :D

Jawz928
04-07-2004, 01:03 PM
i just have a glass of milk (10-12oz) w/ 5g of glutamine before bed, i hate feeling really full when i go to sleep, but know i need the casein at night to prevent my body from being catabolic.

I do the exact same thing but usually wait at least a half hour to go to bed to prevent the full feeling

PiKappaWRX
04-07-2004, 06:12 PM
i basically try and estimate if my body is in a catabolic state while im sleeping by how hungry i am when i wake up. if i'm starving then i know i should've had more before going to sleep. but a 12 oz. glass of milk does it for me and i wake up in the morning, still kinda hungry obviously, but not dying of starvation. do what works for you, some people's metabolisms are faster and are going to burn more at night than others. and if you're a bigger guy, then obviously you're going to need more to eat.

Ebu
04-07-2004, 09:57 PM
depends if im hungry or not. id be careful with shakes though, sometimes i get a stomach ache if i have one before bed.

JustinASU
04-07-2004, 10:50 PM
But it makes your head small as fuc!!! :D
damn these comments are resurfacing again...I need a new tiny head pic. Must make head appear even smaller!

BigRox
04-08-2004, 03:04 AM
You should eat only protein before bed. Heres why: The first 3 to 4 hours of sleep is when your pituitary gland secretes most of its natrual HGH. If you eat carbs it actually inhibits that production. That is becuase inslulin has a direct effect on it. More slin means less HGH. And we all know that HGH also has a direct impact on repairing of muscles. So protein before bed gives you the muscle building amino acids you need.

PiKappaWRX
04-08-2004, 09:46 AM
^
|
|
|

Second!

aka23
04-08-2004, 09:48 AM
You should eat only protein before bed. Heres why: The first 3 to 4 hours of sleep is when your pituitary gland secretes most of its natrual HGH. If you eat carbs it actually inhibits that production. That is becuase inslulin has a direct effect on it. More slin means less HGH. And we all know that HGH also has a direct impact on repairing of muscles. So protein before bed gives you the muscle building amino acids you need.

HGH secretions increase in response to both fasting and slow wave (stages 3 and 4) sleep. They are lower in REM sleep. They also increase in response to many other things such as certain types of exercise, holding your breath, stress, hypoglycemia, certain types of diabetes, and estrogens. There is some evidence that decreased HGH secretions from higher insulin levels at night may be made up by increased secretions during the day.

However, none of this has much impact on protein synthesis in response to weight training, with the possible exception of connective tissue. Higher doses of exogenous HGH has little effect on muscle gain in weightlifters, as shown in the studies below. I would be more concerned about refueling glycogen reserves, providing adequate calories, and other issues related to recovery/rebuilding than worrying about minor changes in HGH secretions.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=8366011&dopt=Abstract
"These findings suggest that short-term GH treatment does not increase the rate of muscle protein synthesis or reduce the rate of whole body protein breakdown, metabolic alterations that would promote muscle protein anabolism in experienced weight lifters attempting to further increase muscle mass."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12663349&dopt=Abstract
"However, there is no proof that net protein retention is promoted in adults, except possibly of connective tissue. The overexaggeration of the effects of growth hormone in muscle building is effectively promoting its abuse and thereby encouraging athletes and elderly men to expose themselves to increased risk of disease for little benefit."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=7864103&dopt=Abstract
"These observations suggest that resistance exercise training improved muscle strength and anabolism in older men, but these improvements were not enhanced when exercise was combined with daily GH administration."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=1550219&dopt=Abstract
"In the young men studied, resistance exercise with or without GH resulted in similar increments in muscle size, strength, and muscle protein synthesis, "

aka23
04-08-2004, 11:23 AM
actually i read that testosterone levels are higher during the day and protein synthesis is more constant during the day than at night...

correct me if im wrong?

i was under the impression your body produced most of its testosterone at night. this is why you take zma formulas at bedtime. so i see you guys are taking in a good amount of stuff at nighttime, what do you think about me taking a scoop of weight gainer (@ 625 calories, 125 grams carbs, 25 grams protein, vitamins/minerals)? i noticed your foods were more protein based, whereas this is heavy on carbs too.

Natural testosterone levels are highest in the morning. They typically gradually fall to a minimum in the evening with varying peaks and troughs throughout the day. It is common for T levels to be 20-40% higher in the morning than the evening.

TheGimp
04-08-2004, 11:46 AM
I believe casein is supposed to have an anti-catabolic effect lasting in the region of 7 hours.

Personally I have 2 scoops of casein and a couple of teaspoons of flax oil just before bed. I used to be one of those people that thought eating before bed would make you fat so changing to having a shake before bed took some getting used to.