PDA

View Full Version : White bread on a cut, is it really that bad?

Dedicated
04-06-2004, 01:15 PM
I eat 6-8 pieces a day, the rest of my diet is pretty good. I'm in a calorie deficit of course and the fat is coming off slowly but surely. Is the eating of white bread negatively affecting my weightloss, and if so, is it a huge deal?

raniali
04-06-2004, 01:32 PM
if you are losing weight - then obviously it is not affecting your weight loss.

Dedicated
04-06-2004, 01:35 PM
if you are losing weight - then obviously it is not affecting your weight loss.
Good point heh.

Holto
04-06-2004, 02:26 PM
a calorie deficit is the only thing required to lose weight...

but do you like the idea of taking in bleach...and other chemicals involved in the bleaching process

not to mention the nutritional value is so diminished when the fiber,minerals,phyto's are stripped when the bran and germ are removed

there is alot of tasty whole grain bread out there...

biggerthanu
04-06-2004, 03:40 PM
IF you losing great...
but white bread has very minimal nutritional value..........
and the calories are more negative, than positive.
In other words losa the white bread, go for whole grain

Dedicated
04-06-2004, 03:43 PM
What are examples of good bread to get? Is whitewheat any good, any others?

Spartacus
04-06-2004, 03:50 PM
its fine if you don't mind the hunger

Dedicated
04-06-2004, 03:50 PM
its fine if you don't mind the hunger
What do you mean the hunger?

Holto
04-06-2004, 03:52 PM
I don't belive bread should ever be white....

look for whole grain flour in the ingredients

there are many whole grains out there Flax for example

raniali
04-06-2004, 04:00 PM
there are many whole grains out there Flax for example

flax is not a grain

although if you find flax in a bread, that is a good thing.

whole grain breads, even spelt breads, are better nutritional sources than white. but, as stated before, if his diet is working for him, what's the argument?

Holto
04-06-2004, 05:13 PM
I don't see an argument at all I just think we would rather he eat better and maximize his gains

flax is not a grain

oh don't not tell me what it is...

*goes to google*

Holto
04-06-2004, 05:15 PM
a grass-like plant...

well that about describes every grain out there

Holto
04-06-2004, 05:19 PM
http://www.cspinet.org/nah/canada/BREAD.htm

decent primer in spite of the usage of "ain't"

raniali
04-06-2004, 05:48 PM
a grass-like plant...

well that about describes every grain out there

http://nutritionfocus.com/nutrition_supplementation/fatty_acids/Flax_Seed_Oil.html#3

http://www.botany.com/linum.html

The Linums or Flaxes form a large group of biennial, annual and perennial herbs and sub-shrubs.

this is different than grains.

Spartacus
04-06-2004, 06:36 PM
What do you mean the hunger?

white bread will cause quicker release of blood sugar and thus you'll "run out" sooner which will cause hunger in a few hours

raniali
04-07-2004, 12:53 PM
white bread will cause quicker release of blood sugar and thus you'll "run out" sooner which will cause hunger in a few hours

this may be true, but do you notice a substantial difference? and even so, you should be eating every few hours anyways.

this is not to say i think white bread is the best thing out there, but worrying about every little thing all the time is not necessary.

carlossalsa8
04-07-2004, 01:39 PM
Since we are talking about white food I didn't want to make another thread so here is my ques.: lets say my diet consist of only rice all day, which will make me get fatter the brown or the white? white bread or wheat bread? thanks.

raniali
04-07-2004, 01:45 PM
ONLY EXCESS CALORIES will make you fatter, not the difference between white and brown rice or bread!!!

there are greater nutritional advantages to eating brown rice and whole wheat bread over their bleached counterparts, but neither one by themselves will make you fat(ter).

Spartacus
04-07-2004, 04:14 PM
this may be true, but do you notice a substantial difference? and even so, you should be eating every few hours anyways.

this is not to say i think white bread is the best thing out there, but worrying about every little thing all the time is not necessary.

i never really had white bread, so i have no personal experience. i was just saying white bread's lack of nutrition isn't a huge problem.

i think eating every couple hours is completely overrated though.

Dedicated
04-09-2004, 08:41 AM
I bought some wheat bread, it actually taste better. It also smells really good:).

CBates
04-09-2004, 09:22 AM
What are examples of good bread to get? Is whitewheat any good, any others?

I get Natures Own wheat bread, low in calories and has like 4grams ( I believe, I'm at work right now so I can't check) of fiber per severing.

TheGimp
04-09-2004, 11:43 AM
I would say its not so much a case of white bread being bad, but that wholewheat bread is such a better alternative. Insulin responses aside, as Holto mentioned, you are missing out on fibre, protein, vitamins and minerals, and phytonutrients.

Ebu
04-09-2004, 03:44 PM
I only eat wheat, or pumpernickel bread. White bread is blah, and a waste of time IMO. If you had a choice between two of the exact same car, and one had a full tank of gas, and the other had a 1/4 tank of gas, which would you choose?

PiKappaWRX
04-09-2004, 05:27 PM
just get brown rice and 100% whole wheat bread. its lower in GI and higher in vits/mins. if you're losing weight w/ white bread, that's awesome. but maybe with wheat, you'll lose it even faster. try it out, and in the long run, its what you should be eating anyways, whether cutting, bulking, or just maintanining weight.

galileo
04-09-2004, 06:24 PM
I think that if you wish to eat bread, making a whole grain selection is better for the fiber alone. Remember, fiber is your friend.

PiKappaWRX
04-10-2004, 05:15 PM
if you eat whole wheat and grain products enough, you'll just get used to 'em. i haven't had white bread in longer than i can remember, or white rice. and now i like the taste of that brown stuff mroe anyways. you'll get used to it...