PDA

View Full Version : Mercury content of canned tuna

trich daddy
04-06-2004, 10:22 PM
Recently it has come to my attention that canned tuna contains substantial mercury levels which may cause sickness in those who eat a lot of it... and since I am one of those people...

http://12.31.13.48/HealthNews/Reuters/20040322elin002.htm

trich daddy
04-06-2004, 10:24 PM
White tuna contains three times as much mercury as light tuna, said Jane Halloran of Consumers Union. "It is essential FDA warn women of child-bearing age to limit their intake of albacore white tuna," she said.

The Environmental Working Group said the FDA "has actually made a bad situation worse, by encouraging consumption of albacore tuna at clearly unsafe levels." EWG said some white tuna can contain excessive amounts of mercury.

EDIT: I apologize. Could a moderator please move this to the diet forum?

manowar669
04-07-2004, 07:11 AM
OT, but Trich daddy, you know "Trich" (pronounced "trick") is a sexually transmitted disease caused by a single celled protozoan (trichomonas vaginalis). Just thought you should know.

Thanks for the link.

ElPietro
04-07-2004, 07:34 AM
EDIT: I apologize. Could a moderator please move this to the diet forum?

No problemo mang.

Jasonl
04-07-2004, 07:34 AM
This is very good information for anyone who was not aware of this, if that's you, I strongly suggest you read through this.:)

ElPietro
04-07-2004, 07:39 AM
If you do a search on mercury and tuna, you'll probably find many more threads already started on this topic.

JSully
04-07-2004, 08:13 AM
i eat 4 cans of tuna a day....ive bee doing that for the last year..

i seem to be alright...about 15 lean lbs heavier...and ALOT stronger...

so.. i'll keep eating the nasty **** until it kills me..

geoffgarcia
04-07-2004, 08:29 AM
i eat 4 cans of tuna a day....ive bee doing that for the last year..

i seem to be alright...about 15 lean lbs heavier...and ALOT stronger...

so.. i'll keep eating the nasty **** until it kills me..
don't expect it to kill you any time soon...
the side effects are subtle....memory loss, problems with equilibrium, mental retardation...things of that nature.

Minotaur
04-07-2004, 08:31 AM
This story resurfaces every now and again. It's not new.

Jasonl
04-07-2004, 12:34 PM
If you do a search on mercury and tuna, you'll probably find many more threads already started on this topic.
Yes, but how many people who don't already know this will actually USE the search??

JTyrell710
04-07-2004, 01:08 PM
Yes, but how many people who don't already know this will actually USE the search??

One of those inevitable truths of life..

trich daddy
04-07-2004, 03:10 PM
OT, but Trich daddy, you know "Trich" (pronounced "trick") is a sexually transmitted disease caused by a single celled protozoan (trichomonas vaginalis). Just thought you should know.

Thanks for the link.

trichome - N. A hairlike or bristlelike outgrowth, as from the epidermis of a plant.
;)

JSully
04-08-2004, 01:07 AM
don't expect it to kill you any time soon...
the side effects are subtle....memory loss, problems with equilibrium, mental retardation...things of that nature.

damn..3 out of 3 already.. wow.. ur right..anyways.. i live by the saying "i may not be smart.. but i can move heavy things!" ;) besides... my job(s) dont require me to be smart.... computer programming, underwriting, cooking, and personal training...

err..maybe a couple of 'em do require me to be smart.. but tuna's so cheap.. no better substitute of protein for the price.. @ sams club i get 10 cans for 4 bux..

Maxgain
04-08-2004, 07:51 AM
The FDA recommends levels greater than 1ppm not tobe consumed weekly. This alone is safe enough as the research shows its toxicity at 10ppm (if i remember correctly) The tuna in tins is usually of the smaller type ie skipjack and a typical tin/6ozs contains .17ppm so 1 a day should be ok.

If this information is wrong obviously my memory is not as good as i thought it was and I must be experiencing the efects of high Mercury levels in which case i advise to stay away from the stuff. Sardines and salmon can be a good substitute

BigMatt
04-08-2004, 11:21 AM
The other day i did eat like 6 can,no problem yet.Iv'e Been eating like that for 1 year.

Jasonl
04-08-2004, 12:48 PM
The other day i did eat like 6 can,no problem yet.Iv'e Been eating like that for 1 year.
Wow, how can you manage to stuff down 6 cans of tuna a day????

JSully
04-08-2004, 08:42 PM
is gross... and its not good.. or.. something like that...

but itll make you big.. that right there is enough reason for me to eat tuna at every meal...

latinomasfino
04-08-2004, 09:36 PM
is gross... and its not good.. or.. something like that...

but itll make you big.. that right there is enough reason for me to eat tuna at every meal...
well it depends how u eat it man...if u just eat it str8 from the can then duh gonna taast like shiit but if u either coook it with PAM and add some tomatoes cilantro some italian fat free dressing and lemon peper seasoning and at the end 2 tbs of mayonaise (fat free) oh man oh man the best tuna out there..u can eat it with 5 whole wheat crackers in total the caloreis breakdown like this 252 calories 4 fat 15 carbs 39 protein

JSully
04-08-2004, 10:03 PM
you work 2 40hr week jobs and see if you got the time to do that.. ;)

latinomasfino
04-08-2004, 10:43 PM
you work 2 40hr week jobs and see if you got the time to do that.. ;)

haha yea man but inono only takes me 10 min to make it pretty easy man inono i guess i just love to cook.. I cook all my meals and dinner is the longest with 30 min to make..but hey all good tasting food requires some input man

JSully
04-09-2004, 08:14 AM
true with the good tasting... i get 4-6 hours sleep a night and thats giving me barely enough time to shower in the mornings...

and my 2nd job is that im a cook... so cooking gets old when im not gettin paid to do it. lol...

i know TONS of way to make tuna taste good.. just depends on how long you wanna spend making it..im lazy.. so i'll just choke down the nastiness.. ;)

although.. a cheddar eggwhite tuna omelette does sound pretty good right now.. with some salsa on top... DOH!! im leaving for work in 3 mins...

oh well...

latinomasfino
04-09-2004, 10:20 AM
true with the good tasting... i get 4-6 hours sleep a night and thats giving me barely enough time to shower in the mornings...

and my 2nd job is that im a cook... so cooking gets old when im not gettin paid to do it. lol...

i know TONS of way to make tuna taste good.. just depends on how long you wanna spend making it..im lazy.. so i'll just choke down the nastiness.. ;)

although.. a cheddar eggwhite tuna omelette does sound pretty good right now.. with some salsa on top... DOH!! im leaving for work in 3 mins...

oh well...

oh hah damn man yea i know wut u mean i work 20hours a week and go full time to school and i get like 3-4 hours of sleep each night,,lol cheddar eggwhite tuna omelette with salsa hmmmm sounds interesting would u care to elaborate on preparation for this meal?

JSully
04-09-2004, 08:01 PM
oh hah damn man yea i know wut u mean i work 20hours a week and go full time to school and i get like 3-4 hours of sleep each night,,lol cheddar eggwhite tuna omelette with salsa hmmmm sounds interesting would u care to elaborate on preparation for this meal?

take 6 eggwhites.. just put 'em in a bowl or somethin till ya got the rest of the stuff ready..

i use pam to cook it on the pan with...

1 can of tuna in water.. drain the water all the way.. and make sure its not a super can of tuna.. u know.. those big ass ones they have.. just the regular old 7 oz cans or whatever they are...

about...hmm.. maybe 3-4 oz of lowfat cheddar cheese....

and i use pace picanted sauce.. medium spice....

warm the pan up to medium heat.. pour the eggwhites on it and let it cook for a minute.. when you know its ready.. flip it just as if it were a reg omelette.. but be careful... the yolks help alot to hold the omelette together and without them its alot thinner...put on the cheese the put on the tuna.. only on half of it though.. cuz ur gonna need to fold it over.. ...

let it cook for about 3-5 mins.. then fold it into an omelette.. and put it on ur plate.. then pour the salsa on top of it...

mmmmm...yummy.....

and if the taste of tuna is a tad bit too strong for you... you can add a little lemon pepper to it.. but i dont think its needed.. i think it tastes great... :alcoholic