PDA

View Full Version : Tuna recipes

toughguywannabe
04-07-2004, 04:04 PM
What do u guys think are the best recipes that are low in fat and consist of 1 can of tuna? So far i'm eating a can of tuna mixed with campbells chicken noodle soup twice a week. The soup completely makes the nasty taste of tuna go away, i would eat a can of tuna a day but i heard it's bad b/c of all the murcery well tell me what you think. Thanks

wrestlemaniac
04-12-2004, 05:14 PM
Is that any good? I actually don't mind the taste of tuna.... but that sounds kinda gross to me.

ryuage
04-12-2004, 05:18 PM
could always use some tuna helper :), personally i eat it straight out of the can or just mix it up with some rice and beans.

Jezmason
04-15-2004, 06:22 PM
i just dry fry some tuna with the brine till the brine reduces, mix in 5 scrambled egg whites, some spring onions, mushrooms, sometimes leeks, and cream cheese, tastes good with some brown bread

JRockTTU
04-15-2004, 06:39 PM
I like mine with mandarin oranges and no fat miracle whip. Or salad shrimp and no fat miracle whip on toasted whole wheat bread (f*ing great!)

Jasonl
04-18-2004, 04:01 PM
My friend came up with a tasty way to mix tuna and eggs. First, start by taking 5 egg whites and 1 whole egg, then cook the eggs until they start to get a bit of texture, then take a can of tuna(in oil, not water) and throw that in, mix it up until the eggs are almost done. Right before the whole thing is finished, take a tbl spoon of non-fat mayo and throw that in, stir it around for a min. or so and you're done.

ryuage
04-18-2004, 04:30 PM
creative

Jasonl
04-18-2004, 04:38 PM
creative
More like filling! Its like a lumberjack meal.

ryuage
04-18-2004, 05:13 PM
all mixed into one hehe

JSully
04-20-2004, 12:09 AM
I make a killer omelette!

6 egg whites
2-3 ounces lowfat cheddar cheese
1 can tuna
Salsa of you're choice.

Pour in the egg whites and make it as if you're making an omelette. Flip it, then put the tuna and cheddar cheese on one side. Flip the one side over when its done so that you have the omelette made. Now put it on a plate and pour salsa over it! It's really good, and filling to boot!

toughguywannabe
04-20-2004, 12:45 AM
The tuna and campbells soup is great. The taste of tuna completely dies out it has to be classic homestyle campbells chicken soup the other kind is kind of gross. I just try not to drink the juice because it is high in sodium but oh well it's so good I can just munch it down.. I've also heard tuna with ravioli is good lol! it jus kills the nasty taste of tuna.

AzNbIgBoi
04-20-2004, 12:02 PM
Tuna in egg omelette? Is it for cutting down weight or gaining weight?

Jasonl
04-20-2004, 07:36 PM
Tuna in egg omelette? Is it for cutting down weight or gaining weight?
Either I suppose, total calories are the main factor in deciding weight loss or gain. I could see how it would make a good, hearty breakfast though(cutting or bulking).

Bryanhoop
04-26-2004, 09:45 PM
Uncooked oatmeal+a little water or milk, mix until thick, add one can of drained tuna...the oatmeal really kills the tuna taste and makes it palitable.

John0101
04-26-2004, 10:01 PM
tuna and hot sause, you'll be tasting the burning rather then the tuna.

koffee
06-14-2004, 08:52 PM
I open up the can, drain about half of the juice and put steak seasoning or old bay on it.
Mmmmmmm

beastin v6
06-14-2004, 09:08 PM
tuna w/ ketchup. I like it. is not all that bad.

rapidshoter
06-15-2004, 08:58 AM
White rice with 2 cans of tuna and tomoate soap ... with a little bit of chille on the side.

Thunderwulf
06-24-2004, 07:07 AM
Mix Tuna with Salsa and Cottage Cheese.

Ill even throw in some turkey meatballs when im feeling dangerous.

MMMM...

BIG C
06-24-2004, 07:15 AM
I use one can with one spoon-ful light mayo and one spoon-full sweet cubes.

Taste pretty good.

I like it! :thumbup:

sandao
07-27-2004, 09:37 PM
I posted this in another thread but this is probably the best place:

My usual recipe for Tuna...tastes pretty good:

1 can Tongol (a fish similar to tuna from Trader Joes). Is actually better looking and tastier than any tuna I've eaten. However it is .99 can. Packed in water, light chunk. With any tuna, I open the lid and leave it there and rinse it out under the tap, squeezing the water out with the lid.

1 spoonful of soyanaise or mayo
1 spoonful of pickle relish
5-7 turns on the pepper grinder
2-5 shakes of salt
couple of dabs of jalepeno pepper sauce (any brand is good but I like Bobby Flay's mesa grill hot sauce)
1/2 a spoonful of Sake Wasabi Mustard (from Trader Joe's) I skip the mustard if I don't have this brand.
1 spoonful of capers (I skip the capers if I don't have the mustard, I don't know why) :)

stir it up. more like mash it up because the tongol is such large chunk. and here's the key, never eat it room temperature...put it in the fridge for an hour....mmmm. spread it on crackers or eat it out of the bowl.

IdaMAN
07-28-2004, 12:49 AM
Tonight I had tuna mixed with hot sauce, no fat miracle whip,lemon juice,pepper,and celery. I put it on a tortilla wrap. They was damn good too.

Draven_Fenix
07-28-2004, 08:16 PM
Tuna, ketchup, BBQ sauce, and garlic powder... sounds nasty but is very interesting... doesn't taste like tuna at all. If you don't want the garlic powder, try just w/ ketcup and BBQ. Tastes pretty damn good to me. Maybe on some whole weat bread or whole weat ritz crackers? Up to you really.

Organichu
08-09-2004, 04:57 PM
Am I the only one that actually likes tuna mixed with a dash of lowfat mayo and some celery?

You know, good old tuna salad? Throw in a few hardboiled eggs and you can reallllllllly explode the protein level.

JiggaHertz
08-13-2004, 01:33 PM
Am I the only one that actually likes tuna mixed with a dash of lowfat mayo and some celery?

You know, good old tuna salad? Throw in a few hardboiled eggs and you can reallllllllly explode the protein level.

Throw in some WW pasta and that's what I call dinner. I'm usually too lazy to buy/cut up celery though.

mattburns
08-20-2004, 12:15 PM
does no-one like tuna then? i just eat with mayo or straight out of a can.. maybe its an aquiored taste but i love it.

Decent
08-20-2004, 10:57 PM
I eat tuna sandwiches, with mayo and sweet relish. I'm trying to cut down on the bread in my diet though.

Some of these recipes are very interesting.

One thing you guys may wanna make note of. Unlike some other meats, different brands and packaging of tunas can taste drastically different. If you can't take the taste of tuna, try some different types.

PYRO
08-22-2004, 07:14 PM

No, you're sane as me....These people are freaks..Who the hell eats tuna with ketchup or hot sauce??

gmanea
08-22-2004, 11:01 PM
I make the perfect omelette with it:

185g Tuna (strain the oil,water whatever it is in first out of the can)
2-3 eggs
some shredded cheese
bit of salt, pepper and I also like to put in a tad of sweet chilli sauce (only a bit).

Mix it all in, pour into an omelette pan and put lid on it, cook on the lowest setting for 15 minutes until it all rises and the top is firm. With the lid still on strain out any fat into the sink.

This really tastes great IMO and is a great high protein meal.

latinomasfino
09-09-2004, 12:32 AM
BEST TUNA SALAD EVER!!!!

1 can of tuna drained of water
Romain lettuce
chopped tomatoes either whole or lil plum tomatoes
fat free italian dressing
red onion or whtie onion
*secret ingredient.......add some hot sause for a kick

migs
09-10-2004, 06:19 AM
Since being abroad and tuna is the cheapest kind of protein you can get (30g/can) Ive been eating alot of it lately and these are a few things Ive tried:

1)Tuna + baked beans

Pour the baked beans in a pot and and the tuna.
Heat and stir

Good 46-50g protein just 3min to fix

2)Tuna pasta mayo sweet corn salad.

200g Pasta shells
3 cans tuna
1 Can sweet corn
3-4 Table spoons lowest fat Mayo(little milk/yoghurt can be added to avoid too much mayo)

Cook the shells ( I cook a whole 500g and divide it to spend less time in the kitchen)
In a seperate bowl add the tuna mayo and corn and mix.
Add the pasta to the mix and you have 1 huge meal, eat for meal 3 and 5.

That is about 120g protein, alot of carbs(I think over 160g) and alot of cals(over 1000).

or

You can do the same without the pasta and use the mix for sandwich filling.

My advice:

Tuna can be added to anything with sauce as long as it isnt sweet. Ive added it to spaghetti, soon to Cottage cheese.

[[[----]]]
09-12-2004, 09:36 PM
I just like to take a can of tuna, drain the juice, add mayo, chopped onion, choppen jalapenos, and then just eat it with one of two slices of wheat bread, i guess i should go for two whole slices since im trying to get in those calories to bulk, ya think? :cool:

Mannequin
09-13-2004, 01:11 PM
When I need something quick, I drain a can of tuna, pour in some soy sauce, and toss it in the toaster oven. In 2 min I have a surprisingly delectable meal.

mattburns
09-13-2004, 05:05 PM
soy sauce? sounds interesting, ill be eating tuna everyday at college in my sandwiches so ill be looking to vary what i do with it.

Mannequin
09-13-2004, 05:12 PM
it is surprisingly good

Grey Wolf
09-13-2004, 05:15 PM
if you like sushi, go to a sushi house (or anywhere you can get) and get some wasabi. then smear wasabi on a drained can of tuna, then pour soy on top. i do it almost daily,i love it.....

sublime99
09-14-2004, 04:47 PM
I mix a whole can with 1tbsp of fat free mayo and 1 tbsp of mustard with 1 and 1/2 tbsp of honey lil salt and pepper.

ryuage
09-15-2004, 07:10 AM
if you like sushi, go to a sushi house (or anywhere you can get) and get some wasabi. then smear wasabi on a drained can of tuna, then pour soy on top. i do it almost daily,i love it.....

hrmm soy sauce plus wasabi plus tuna... i dunno about that one hehe.

lakcaj
09-15-2004, 10:34 AM
I wasn't sure when I first read this recipe, but believe me, it is awsome. Just try it and you will love it!

INGREDIENTS

Chopped Celery ...................... 1 Cup
Chopped Almonds ................... 2 Tablespoons
Grapes, quartered ................... 10
Red Onion, diced .................... 2 or 3 Tablespoons
Canned Tuna, drained ............ 1
Mayonnaise ............................. 1/3 Cup

DIRECTIONS

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and enjoy!

NUTRITIONAL INFO
Total Carbs = 14 grams
Total Fiber = 2 grams
Total Usable Carbs = 12 grams
Total Protein = 46 grams (varies with amount/type of tuna)

anyone
09-29-2004, 09:50 AM
I really like this tuna salad recipe I came up with (I make a double batch, so that I can have leftovers):

2 6oz cans tuna
1 small onion - whatever kind you like
finely chopped garlic - to taste, I use a lot (could subsitute garlic powder)
3 stalks celery
3 tbs mayo
a couple of squirts of mustard - I like using non-yellow style mustards - chipotle, horseradish, etc.

salt and pepper to taste
additional spices if desired, experimenting is the best way to break the bordem.

optional: serve on toasted whole wheat bread

You can mess with the mustard/mayo ratio so that you can use less mayo and still get that creamy tuna salad w/ less mayo.

Lots of flavor, low on the stuff you don't want.

galileo
09-29-2004, 10:46 AM
Curtesy of nevermore and myself.

2 low carb tortillas, 1 can drained tuna, 2 tbsp fat-free sour cream, 1 tbsp salsa.

Make two wraps out of them. Fun.

Regenvelc
09-30-2004, 01:54 PM
I mix my tuna with cottage cheese.

1 Can of Tuna, water drained
1/2 cup of Low Fat/Fat Free Cottage Cheese
3/4ths Cup of Broccoli
1 slice of low fat cheese.

Mix it all toegether, shread the cheese or just use low fat shreadded cheese put it in a bowl and warm it up until the cheese is melted. Mix and enjoy. I dig it. Decently healthy too and a lot of protein.

toughguywannabe
09-30-2004, 08:30 PM
that sounds like a good meal before bed.. might have to give it a try..