PDA

View Full Version : varying numbers for bulking - which is right?

flashdance
04-08-2004, 07:30 PM
Hey guys - been reading the site for a while, and I've finally got enough free time to get very serious about putting on some muscle. I've been trying to pin down a number of daily calories to shoot for, and found a few different sources. My question is this: which source is right? They all give a different result. (For reference - I'm 6'1", 190, probably ~15% body fat)

EDIT: Forgot the conditioning. I lift 2x/week for about an hour, and do cardio 4x/week for about 30 min.

1) These very forums - the simple formula (mass x 22) yields 4180 calories/day.
2) This article (http://www.t-mag.com/articles/199ess.html), also found on the forums - going through the calculations, I come up with about 4600 calories/day.
3) fitday tells me I'm at 3583 calories/day for my basal/lifestyle/activities, so I'd shoot for about 4000/day.

Three different calculations, three different targets - and different enough to make me put on unwanted weight if I set the number too high. Any suggestions?

ryuage
04-08-2004, 07:45 PM
start off at a set point and adjust according to how you are gaining weight.

flashdance
04-08-2004, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the advice. That's what I've planned on doing, but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't maybe something I was missing, or if anyone had any input on which measurement seemed to be the most reliable. Guess I'll just use the scale.

Paladyr
04-09-2004, 06:58 AM
I think it varies so much from person to person there really isn't a set in stone answer. I'd err on the side of MORE calories just so that you don't end up wasting your time and working out but not gaining any muscle.

ryuage
04-09-2004, 07:02 AM
but then again to each their own.

TheGimp
04-09-2004, 07:51 AM
There are too many variables to tell exactly, and those formulae are all just guidelines, hence the variation.

Sounds like you should try 4000ish for a week and see whether you gain/lose/maintain weight, and adjust them accordingly.