PDA

View Full Version : Cutting catastrophy #100000 PLEASE HELP

Allyrulez
04-10-2004, 07:00 AM
I tried to cut AGAIN

This time stopped cardio, just worked out as usual and reduced my calorie intake by ~300 a day

So i was eating ~30 grams of protein + some carbs every 2/3 hours...

Did this for a week, went for a body analysis and recieved this absolutely devastating news

Fat Free Mass (or LBW) went DOWN 1.2KG

Fat Mass STAYED THE ****ING SAME at 9.4kg

Bodyfat% went up 0.3

Please god can someone help me what the **** is going on

Ive tried so many ways of cutting and i ALWAYS LOSE SO MUCH GODAMMN ****ING MUSCLE

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Dedicated
04-10-2004, 10:34 AM
How much was your calorie intake what is your height/weight and bf% etc.

Allyrulez
04-10-2004, 10:49 AM
Calorie intake was about 1300-1500

My BMR is 1853Kcal (well is now, was more before i ****ed this up)

Bodyfat 12.7%

height 182cm (5''11' i think)

Weight 163lbs

I think im going to try the Twin Peaks Carb-cycling, PS if i loose anymore muscle i'm going to start breaking kittens legs... This is addressed to the Universe in general, you have been warned

Dedicated
04-10-2004, 11:01 AM
OK I am 99% sure I know why you aren't losing fat. During my first cut I also went down to 163lbs(except I was 5"8) and my bodyfat was probably about what yours is. I was also eating the same calorie intake as you are and all I would do is lose muscle and strength. You need to up your calories, or you will continue to lose muscle. It's as simple as that. Try 1900-2100 with no cardio and just weights for ONE week, and see how that works. I bet it will work well and you will lose some bodyfat. How long are your training sessions? Try to keep it under 80 minutes and no more than 4x a week. On days you workout, try to get 2100ish, on rest days, try to get 1900. I bet this will work.

The whole, your metabolism will shut down thing is true, it happened to me and it is happening to you. Try this for one week.

Also I think you will gain muscle AND lose fat if you do this. I say this because your body metabolism is shut down right now, so when you up your calories you will provide more calories for the muscles to slowly get back to where they were and at the same time cause the fat to come off because your metabolism is back up.
People say you can't gain muscle and lose fat but that is a generalization that depends on alot of factors.
Oh and don't cut out carbs.

Allyrulez
04-10-2004, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the detailed reply!!

I will try that for a week i guess, i work out 6 days a week, i dont know if i can handle only going 4 days

So what would the carbs/protein/fats split be?? Or would just eating sensibly suffice i spose

Thanks again, i will give this a try starting now

Dedicated
04-10-2004, 11:23 AM
Just sensibly, let me know how it works, goodluck.
Hmm 6 days. What kind of routine are you doing? Really either a 3 day split, 3 day fullbody, or 4 day split I have found are more than enough. I think you should really try to keep it at 3-4 days. And just on offdays, eating 1900 cals will make you feel "not guilty" about not working out because you are essentially still losing weight:) If you workout 6 days a week the 1900-2100 cals might not be enough, I'm not sure what range you would have to shoot for. I can say that at 3-4 days a week, 1900-2100 cals will work perfect because it's enough food to help you feel "strong" in the gym and enough food to keep your metabolism up.

Personally I am doing 2000-2200 and on workout days 2200-2400 and I'm losing bodyfat and I've gained some strength and muscle, and I workout 3-4 times a week. Now If I were to workout 6 days a week, my body would just be too worn out and I would not be able to recover and my fatloss would slow. This is why I say keep at 3-4 days. Because you know, I like you, would LOVE to workout 6 days a week, but I just know it won't work heh:( Hope that makes sense. Another thing to take into consideration is I probably have a little more muscle mass than you, that is why I said to shoot for 1900-2100.

Manveet
04-10-2004, 12:27 PM
what did you're routine look like as well? I lost a lot more fat and less muscle when I cut using HST as opposed to a 1 body part a week 3 day split.

Allyrulez
04-10-2004, 01:27 PM
My routine is this:-

Day 1:- Triceps, Chest

Day 2:- Shoulders (only rear & medial, as anterior worked surrounding days)

Day 3:- biceps, back

Day 4: Legs

every 2nd or 3rd day:- Abs, Traps, Forearms, sternocleidomastoid

Repeat, then a day break

Today I worked biceps & lats, then came in again (back just now) and worked legs because i felt totally energised.. My squats are flying up (did a set with +20KG today), which leads me to believe maybe i have a higher recovery rate?? Or leads me to believe i could just be foolin myself

Anyway, ill try with the calorie range suggested + a bit more, with 6 days/week WO... If it turns to crap again i will just do exactly as suggested (lessen working out days, use 2000C on days 1900C off)

Cos im being a bit melodramatic over getting fat lol :)

Thanx

Saint Patrick
04-10-2004, 04:11 PM

Too damn low.

raniali
04-10-2004, 04:37 PM
absolutely, unequivocally you did not lose fat because you are STARVING yourself and your body is going to hold onto its reserves at the expense of your muscle mass.

EAT MORE FOOD.
NOW.

Shao-LiN
04-10-2004, 04:57 PM
Seriously. I weight about as much as you do and I can cut using 2000 calories. How'd you come up with a maintenance of 1800?

Eat at like 2200-2300 calories per day for like a week or two and then start again w/o starving yourself.

Reinier
04-11-2004, 07:42 AM
You were not eating nearly enough man! Im losing weight without cardio at 4000 kcals

ryuage
04-11-2004, 07:47 AM
wish I could lose weight at 4000 calories :)

Allyrulez
04-11-2004, 10:43 AM
Ive been eating properly now and weigh 169lbs

Starting proper sensible cutting today, had to do a little bitta cardio cos its easter and i ate loadsa evil stuff

perhaps this should be journal-bound :)

nevertheless, thanks. I feel better now, educated!!!

Deathwish
04-12-2004, 12:26 AM
To find a starting point of how many cals to eat, take your body weight in lbs and multiply it by 12. Work from there adding calories or reducing calories till you're losing 1-2 lbs a week.

AllUp
04-16-2004, 11:19 AM

Too damn low.

Hell yeah, thats like sleeping cals to keep you snoring. :(

Usually when you're going that low doing str-training I noticed muscle is usually the first thing to break down. I've made that mistake before. (It should be a STICKY here.) :O

Unless its a gradual drop while doing cardio I'd keep the cals a little high if training. Naturally the exercise alone should get you cut assuming the cals are coming from healthy sources.

Goodluck,