PDA

View Full Version : Bulking and cardio

bigzbling
04-10-2004, 06:38 PM
Should i do cardio if i wanna bulk up? If so, how many times a week? Thanks!

Jasonl
04-10-2004, 06:44 PM
During my next bulk I plan on doing 1 day of cardio per week, just to stay in shape. Make it on a non-lifting day preferably.

ryuage
04-10-2004, 06:45 PM
if you would like to maintain some sort of aerobic/cardiovascular fitness then yes.

ryuage
04-10-2004, 07:07 PM
i dunno do you really think 1 day will cut it? :)

Jasonl
04-10-2004, 08:53 PM
i dunno do you really think 1 day will cut it? :)
Its better than nothing, and that way you don't have to worry about your gains as much, which you shouldn't really be anyway if you're eating enough.

geoffgarcia
04-10-2004, 11:46 PM
Should i do cardio if i wanna bulk up?
no
lift on your workout days, and rest on your rest days
cardio will waste calories and fatigue your muscles
assuming your goal is to put on as much muscle as fast as possible
IMHO

JSully
04-11-2004, 01:25 AM
but.. if you want to do cardio every day.. you can overeat and not worry about fat gain and still get the muscle growth..

tips from someone who loves to eat just for the taste of food. ;)

geoffgarcia
04-11-2004, 01:31 AM
but.. if you want to do cardio every day.. you can overeat and not worry about fat gain and still get the muscle growth..
please explain how that works

JSully
04-11-2004, 01:45 AM
cardio burns calories... so if he wants to stay in good aerobic shape he has to keep doing cardio...

but if he wants to bulk he's gotta keep his calories high enought for his muscles to consume as much as they can....

so instead of eating at a bulk.. of say 18xbodyweight... eat at say 20xbodyweight.. a little higher....that way you can do cardio.. and burn off the little extra food ur taking in without effecting the calories that go to your muscles to be used for growth...

you will stay in good aerobic shape and keep fat low

Saint Patrick
04-11-2004, 02:29 AM
LOL LittleJake love the new Avatar.

JSully
04-11-2004, 03:40 AM
LOL LittleJake love the new Avatar.

yeah..thanks...

i wanted to put:

gunners mate first class phillip asshole...

but it wouldnt fit... so this will suffice... :)

PiKappaWRX
04-11-2004, 07:34 PM
who's he? he's an asshole too sir. who else in here's an asshole? YO! i knew it, i'm surrounded by assholes

ryuage
04-11-2004, 08:10 PM
nevermind

NaturalBuilder
04-11-2004, 09:03 PM
no
lift on your workout days, and rest on your rest days
cardio will waste calories and fatigue your muscles
assuming your goal is to put on as much muscle as fast as possible
IMHO

To live a healthy lifestyle you do still need to do some cardiovascular activity. One-two times per week would be fine, and 3 would be even better. Just be sure to take in enough calories to compensate for the calories you are burning during your cardio sessions. The more calories you burn the healthier you are (if you are eating enough). This doesn't go for those who are eating 1000 calories a day and burning the same, this is the polar opposite of healthy.

bigzbling
04-11-2004, 09:43 PM
So wats the right amount of calories i should eat each day if i do cardio twice a week?In order to bulk up of course.

JSully
04-11-2004, 09:55 PM
on average... i burn 500 calories when i go at 50-75% intensity on the treadmill for 1/2 hour...

so.. on the days you do cardio... bump up ur calories by 500...

or what you should do .. is measure how many calories you burn in one session of whatever your'e doing at whatever intensity...

make a mental note.. of how many calories you burned.. then add that many calories to ur cardio days' diet....

the more cardio you do.. the better shape you'll be in.. aerobically speaking...

as i said.. if you want to do cardio every day.. just make sure you add the extra calories that the cardio will burn..and you'll still build quality muscle and stay in excellent aerobic shape...if you find that you arent growing.. bump up the calories another 200 a day.. if you find that you're gaining too much fat (which isnt likely from extended amounts of cardio) then either bump down the cardio.. or take the calories down a little bit.. not the whole 500.. just say 200 calories..

just my $0.02 ... i hope that helps. :thumbup:

bigzbling
04-11-2004, 10:00 PM
I just calculated my calorie intake and its : 2916 calories each day. Not on weekends though, cuz i tend to be lazy and not eat lol. How do i measure the calories i burn while doing cardio?

ryuage
04-11-2004, 10:06 PM
on average... i burn 500 calories when i go at 50-75% intensity on the treadmill for 1/2 hour...

so.. on the days you do cardio... bump up ur calories by 500...

or what you should do .. is measure how many calories you burn in one session of whatever your'e doing at whatever intensity...

make a mental note.. of how many calories you burned.. then add that many calories to ur cardio days' diet....

the more cardio you do.. the better shape you'll be in.. aerobically speaking...

as i said.. if you want to do cardio every day.. just make sure you add the extra calories that the cardio will burn..and you'll still build quality muscle and stay in excellent aerobic shape...if you find that you arent growing.. bump up the calories another 200 a day.. if you find that you're gaining too much fat (which isnt likely from extended amounts of cardio) then either bump down the cardio.. or take the calories down a little bit.. not the whole 500.. just say 200 calories..

just my $0.02 ... i hope that helps. :thumbup:

what are you going by that estimates you are burning 500 calories

geoffgarcia
04-12-2004, 08:42 AM

read your "how this works" post above.
This is wishful thinking...if you eat to much, you WILL gain fat.
If you eat 20k calories a day you can do all the cardio you want, your still gonne put on a ton of fat

To live a healthy lifestyle you do still need to do some cardiovascular activity. One-two times per week would be fine, and 3 would be even better. Just be sure to take in enough calories to compensate for the calories you are burning during your cardio sessions.
you don't think your heart gets a good enough workout from doing weight training? that you need to do seperate cardio 2-3 times per week? to what avail? to just work your heart?

NaturalBuilder
04-12-2004, 08:49 AM
you don't think your heart gets a good enough workout from doing weight training? that you need to do seperate cardio 2-3 times per week? to what avail? to just work your heart?

No, I didn't say that. However, I like to keep my resistance training workouts anaerobic and my cardio workouts aerobic...make sense?

ryuage
04-12-2004, 10:04 AM
I personally dont think weight training works my heart sufficiently geoff... sure it'll raise it and get your heart rate up pretty high at points, then your set is done and poof drops back down, can you honestly say you get a good cardiovascular workout weight training?

geoffgarcia
04-12-2004, 10:40 AM
No, I didn't say that. However, I like to keep my resistance training workouts anaerobic and my cardio workouts aerobic...make sense?
yes, we all do.
But lets face it, when your cranking out a heavy set on squats, or deadlifts your heart rate gets up there...and is doing itself a nice workout.
Your heart is a muscle also and logic tells me that it to responds better to anaerobic than aerobic exercise for growth.
I have been looking on google and information around cardiovascular health is very vague.
I haven't touched cardio in years and my resting rate is fairly low (60)

ryuage
04-12-2004, 10:55 AM
i dont think you want your heart to grow :)

geoffgarcia
04-12-2004, 11:08 AM
semantics

Spartacus
04-12-2004, 12:27 PM
cardio is great for bulking. it lets you burn off some fat, and then overeat and the nutrient partitioning lets you put all the food into your muslces.

NaturalBuilder
04-12-2004, 06:14 PM
I haven't touched cardio in years and my resting rate is fairly low (60)

You do not get a true aerobic workout from lifting. It's just like sprinting. Sprinting gets your heartrate up for short bursts of energy and then returns to normal in the resting period between sprints. This is why sprinting is considered mainly anaerobic. The same situation applies to weightlifting because you get your heartrate up for short bursts of energy, and then it returns to normal during the resting period between sets. I'm not saying that weightlifting has no benefits when it comes to cardiovascular health, I simply think aerobic workouts are simply better when it comes to this aspect.

wrestlemaniac
04-12-2004, 06:35 PM
wait, I always heard the best cardio was to sprint full out then rest then repeat.

JSully
04-12-2004, 06:58 PM
read your "how this works" post above.
This is wishful thinking...if you eat to much, you WILL gain fat.
If you eat 20k calories a day you can do all the cardio you want, your still gonne put on a ton of fat.

I never said that you can eat 20k a day... i said up your calories by 300-500...

where do you get 20k from?

doing cardio while bulking is great. it keeps you in excellent areobic shape.. i'd like to see you run 3 miles on a bulk cycle in under 20 mins.. since you dont do cardio.. and then me run 3 miles on a bulk cycle..

even though both of us are bulking.. seeing how i run 3 miles every day at lunch.. and i run again at night.. i am better aerobically conditioned..

as far as how do you figure out how much ur burning... go by the scales on the cardio equipment at the gym.. they may not be totally accurate but they are approximate.. so just estimate..

point is... if you're burning EXTRA calories.. and you dont want that to effect muscle growth.. eat a little more.. not 20,000 calores more...just 300-400 more..

carlossalsa8
04-12-2004, 08:07 PM
I am a soccer player and I think littlejake is right about the running. If you r planning to run everyday, there is not need to worry about overeating as long as you are running enough to burn the cals you ate more. I think running is exellent while bulking, and I don't really know why people think it does not really help. It does help a lot. I used to think it would be hard for me to get big ( not that I am biggg) cuz of my training, and running routine and I have developed nice muscles and have become bigger than I used to be (I only do weight lifting once or twice a week). The point is that if you are planning on running just eat more that day and everything would work just fine. Your muscles won't suffer and I think they would not fatigue since you ate more than u usually eat. This week I am planning to run 10 miles, tuesday, wednesday and on thursday and friday I am planning to tun 12 miles if possible plus the soccer prac. and I am planning to go to the gym saturday and maybe sunday. Just add two to three days of cardio and you will be in better shape and definetly healthyyyyyyyyyyyy.

NaturalBuilder
04-12-2004, 08:55 PM
wait, I always heard the best cardio was to sprint full out then rest then repeat.

Some scientific theories hold that sprinting (HIIT) is better for fat loss than distance running. HIIT boosts your heartrate up for a long period of time even after the work is finished. This type of cardio is geared at mainly fat loss, and some studies have actually proven this form of cardio to be hands down better for burning fat than the traditional, steadily paced cardiovascular activities. However, this is giving you an anaerobic as well as an aerobic workout, so it does not give you as much of an aerobic benefit that steadily paced, distance cardio does.

geoffgarcia
04-12-2004, 09:42 PM
i said up your calories by 300-500...
my bad, I read "over eating" as going hog wild
IMHO if your doing cardio that should be accounted for in your diet.
SO its not exactly OVER eating...its being on a diet, period.
that extra stuff about cardio picking up your extra calories is foo foo though.
if you don't eat those calories, you wont need to burn them.
rather than doing the cardio just eat less....

do a search on this forum this topic (cardio vs resistance training) has been discussed a bunch of times on here in depth with tons of references to back up claims.

wrestlemaniac
04-12-2004, 09:50 PM
Some scientific theories hold that sprinting (HIIT) is better for fat loss than distance running. HIIT boosts your heartrate up for a long period of time even after the work is finished. This type of cardio is geared at mainly fat loss, and some studies have actually proven this form of cardio to be hands down better for burning fat than the traditional, steadily paced cardiovascular activities. However, this is giving you an anaerobic as well as an aerobic workout, so it does not give you as much of an aerobic benefit that steadily paced, distance cardio does.

****! I was doing it for endurance. I feel like a moron because it didn't make sense to me when I decided to but I (mis)read it off here so I just did it anyway. Oh well... Time to make changes I guess.....

JSully
04-12-2004, 10:22 PM
my bad, I read "over eating" as going hog wild
IMHO if your doing cardio that should be accounted for in your diet.
SO its not exactly OVER eating...its being on a diet, period.
that extra stuff about cardio picking up your extra calories is foo foo though.
if you don't eat those calories, you wont need to burn them.
rather than doing the cardio just eat less....

do a search on this forum this topic (cardio vs resistance training) has been discussed a bunch of times on here in depth with tons of references to back up claims.

lol.. but the guy was asking if its still alright to do cardio.. meaning he wants to do cardio...

i agree .. rather than doing cardio just eat less... but if you want to do cardio while bulking.. you're gonna hafta pick up some extra calories to supply for the cardio...

thats what im saying...other than that i agree... personally i hate doing cardio.. but i feel GREAT afterwards.. so thats why i do it

wrestlemaniac
04-13-2004, 04:01 AM
Well I'm with this person. I do cardio while bulking. I NEED endurance and as much of it as I can get.

NaturalBuilder
04-13-2004, 08:48 AM
Well I'm with this person. I do cardio while bulking. I NEED endurance and as much of it as I can get.

Yes, we all do. Aerobic workouts increase endurance, which you will find will actually help you with your resistance training exersizes. Geoff, Put the issue of your resting heartrate aside and talk about endurance with me. I gaurantee you if we went out running I would last far longer than you would. Why? Because I have high endurance as well as strength. Edurance is just as important as strength. However, I understand there are some who could care less about enurance, such as most bodybuilders. The point being, cardio is fine during bulking, and yes, doing some cardio is more beneficial than not doing any at all. Just because you are fine without it doesn't mean you wouldn't be better with it now does it?

geoffgarcia
04-13-2004, 09:30 AM
lol.. but the guy was asking if its still alright to do cardio.. meaning he wants to do cardio
my bad, when he read "Should i do cardio if i wanna bulk up?"
I didn't assume he wanted to do it. Rather was asking for a reason why he should.

NaturalBuilder
04-13-2004, 09:47 AM
my bad, when he read "Should i do cardio if i wanna bulk up?"
I didn't assume he wanted to do it. Rather was asking for a reason why he should.

In my opinion, yes, he should do cardio. However, I understand everyone's goals differ from mine. I am focused on the aesthetic, perfromance, and endurance aspects. I like to be well rounded. When I go play basketball I want to be able to stay out there without getting fatigued too quickly (which comes from good endurance which results from aerobic workouts). Same with running, when I feel like going for a cross country jog I don't want to run out of gas half way through my jog and have to start walking. Endurance actually has helped me with my lifting, also. To gain muscle mass and lower total BFP, no, cardio is not needed. However, for endurance it is. As I said, it just depends on the individual's goals. If all you are concerned with is the aesthetic aspects, then no, cardio really is not needed. However, it is possible to do aerobic and anaerobic activities and still aquire muscle mass (I'm living proof! :) ). However, you HAVE to consume enough calories to make up for that extra amount you burn. It all comes down to calories...eat more=gain...eat less and move more you lose...all there is too it.

JSully
04-13-2004, 07:53 PM
So wats the right amount of calories i should eat each day if i do cardio twice a week?In order to bulk up of course.

to me that made it seem like he wanted to do it..

sorry for confusion...

grneyes34
04-14-2004, 06:21 PM
when im bulking, i like doing 4 days of 20 minutes atleast to control the fat gains....

ryuage
04-14-2004, 06:31 PM
i do 5x cardio a week while bulking and making good progress.