PDA

View Full Version : bodyfat scale?

latinomasfino
04-10-2004, 08:04 PM
i have a Tanita the ultimate scale at my house..ITs supposed to measure ur bodyfat and weight..does this scale actually work..im buuying some caliphers but they dont come till next week

Glaim
04-10-2004, 09:01 PM
I don't think so....when I first wake up, it tells me I have 20% body fat. If I step on it at night, It tells me I'm at 15%. It's been giving me those numbers for the past 6 months and I've gone down about 20 lbs.

latinomasfino
04-10-2004, 09:33 PM
well imean ur bodyfat varies doesnt it throughout the day? but like ive dropped from 173 to 167 and the scale says i have dropped from 18% to 16% BF but its weird cause i went back up to 17 and im 166.5

geoffgarcia
04-10-2004, 11:36 PM
I don't think so....when I first wake up, it tells me I have 20% body fat. If I step on it at night, It tells me I'm at 15%. It's been giving me those numbers for the past 6 months and I've gone down about 20 lbs.
welcome to the board...
I recommend you read the instructions on how to use your tanita

well imean ur bodyfat varies doesnt it throughout the day? but like ive dropped from 173 to 167 and the scale says i have dropped from 18% to 16% BF but its weird cause i went back up to 17 and im 166.5
if your cutting and your doing a quicky diet >1lb a week you might be losing muscle also which would account for weight loss + LBM loss
a drop from 173 to 167 = 6 lbs, which should take ya 6 weeks roughly to minimize muscle loss....but even if your diet is great you still might lose some LBM...
your LBM doesn't change throughout the day very much, nor does your fat. I'd be surprised if it went +/- .25 lb per day regardless of your diet cut/bulk
what does change is your water weight. if your tanita doesn't monitor your water weight then you should only measure first thing in the morning as thats how you'll get consistent readings as your at your dryest when you wake up.
good luck

TheGimp
04-11-2004, 01:35 AM
I suggest you do a search (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/search.php?). This topic has been discussed many times in the past.

Shao-LiN
04-11-2004, 03:33 AM

If you apply a bit of logic to your statement...how does bodyfat vary 5% throughout the day? Your weight may vary, but your bodyfat will not vary to that degree. A 15% bf person in the morning doesn't drop to 10% randomly throughout the day, hehe.

latinomasfino
04-11-2004, 08:27 AM
[QUOTE=Shao-LiN]If you apply a bit of logic to your statement...how does bodyfat vary 5% throughout the day? Your weight may vary, but your

yea thasts what i was thinking cuase now im back to 16% at 165

latinomasfino
04-11-2004, 08:28 AM
welcome to the board...
I recommend you read the instructions on how to use your tanita

if your cutting and your doing a quicky diet >1lb a week you might be losing muscle also which would account for weight loss + LBM loss
a drop from 173 to 167 = 6 lbs, which should take ya 6 weeks roughly to minimize muscle loss....but even if your diet is great you still might lose some LBM...
your LBM doesn't change throughout the day very much, nor does your fat. I'd be surprised if it went +/- .25 lb per day regardless of your diet cut/bulk
what does change is your water weight. if your tanita doesn't monitor your water weight then you should only measure first thing in the morning as thats how you'll get consistent readings as your at your dryest when you wake up.
good luck

if i lost muscle wouldnt i have gone down in strenght. becuase i have actually increased in the amount of weights i use so i got stronger and my measurements of my arms and chest and legs actually went up about .25inch

Matt-itude
04-11-2004, 08:40 AM
this could be very very wrong..... but i have some insight to ur questions

now.... unless im wrong... bodyfat percentage is a percentage mass of the body. So if you were 100kg...... and 15% body fat you would have 15kg of fat in ur body and 85kg of lean body mass.

now lets say you eat a 10kg pie (unrealistic i know..... but anyways) you would now weigh 110kg.... but you mass of body fat would not change...

your new measured bodyfat % would be 13.6% and all youve done is eat a poo load of pie :P

that could be whats happening..... so don't get excited because you'll still have those 15kg of fat on you.

i dunno how accurate or true this is...... but yeah

geoffgarcia
04-11-2004, 12:06 PM
if i lost muscle wouldnt i have gone down in strenght. becuase i have actually increased in the amount of weights i use so i got stronger and my measurements of my arms and chest and legs actually went up about .25inch
size/strength don't necessarily go hand in hand. Don't believe me? go to a powerlifting contest and watch how guys 30 pounds lighter than you lift twice as much.
if your gaining strength it could just be muscle recognition of the movement/strengthening of supporting fibers...

I'm just saying its possible...not taht this is what happend

latinomasfino
04-11-2004, 06:08 PM
size/strength don't necessarily go hand in hand. Don't believe me? go to a powerlifting contest and watch how guys 30 pounds lighter than you lift twice as much.
if your gaining strength it could just be muscle recognition of the movement/strengthening of supporting fibers...

I'm just saying its possible...not taht this is what happend
==========================================================
yea i know they can lift a lot but from pics that i have taken like beofer and after i see that im gettin bigger but my abs are showing more so inono im gonig by that oh yea and about eating that pie yea i know that thast y i meaure my bodyfat in teh morning so that it will be consistant

Sleepr
04-12-2004, 09:23 PM
BF scales suck. Bio electrical impedance is a very unreliable way to determine BF IMO. Too many factors like water concentration, etc. etc. that can influence the results.

geoffgarcia
04-12-2004, 09:34 PM
BF scales suck. Bio electrical impedance is a very unreliable way to determine BF IMO. Too many factors like water concentration, etc. etc. that can influence the results.
newer scales measure how much water weight you carry...so less factors to worrry about

Sleepr
04-12-2004, 09:42 PM
Thanks, I was not aware of that; I still wouldn't consider them reliable though. If I had to use one, I would also get a set of calipers to measure with also just as a reference. I still rather ise the mirror as my bodyfat scale though...or better yet find an underwater weighing facility.

geoffgarcia
04-13-2004, 07:50 AM
Thanks, I was not aware of that; I still wouldn't consider them reliable though. If I had to use one, I would also get a set of calipers to measure with also just as a reference. I still rather ise the mirror as my bodyfat scale though...or better yet find an underwater weighing facility.
well you might not, but a lot of people do.
They sell these things to doctors and gym for up to about 2000$...for that price you'd think they could do better than your 4$ plastic calipers...

latinomasfino
04-13-2004, 08:18 AM
well you might not, but a lot of people do.
They sell these things to doctors and gym for up to about 2000$...for that price you'd think they could do better than your 4$ plastic calipers...

yup thast a lot of money...umm about calipers they selll digital ones..does that work the same as teh regular ones?

geoffgarcia
04-13-2004, 09:12 AM
I'd imagine digital calipers would be no more accurate...the error isn't usually on the reading of the ruler piece, rather on the placement of the calipers themself and how hard you pinch them together

Digital Caliper (http://www.affordablesupplements.com/fat_track.asp)
this one beeps at the right pressure level (34$ Fat Track II)

TheGimp
04-13-2004, 09:14 AM
Agreed. The advantage would be being able to take, for example, readings on your back yourself.

latinomasfino
04-13-2004, 01:45 PM
oh ok thankx yea thast wuti thought im a buy some for like 22 dollars is that good price?

geoffgarcia
04-13-2004, 01:59 PM
22 seems good for a digital caliper

I've seen a few that offer readouts and do all the bodyfat computations on an onboard computer, which is kinda nifty....granted then you have to buy the unit based on what bf forumla you believe in....

do you have a link to the unit your planning on buying latino?
the most important thing would probably be knowing exactly where to pinch, how hard to pinch, and how to prepare for the test

latinomasfino
04-13-2004, 03:33 PM
22 seems good for a digital caliper

I've seen a few that offer readouts and do all the bodyfat computations on an onboard computer, which is kinda nifty....granted then you have to buy the unit based on what bf forumla you believe in....

do you have a link to the unit your planning on buying latino?
the most important thing would probably be knowing exactly where to pinch, how hard to pinch, and how to prepare for the test

yea htis is the one i was thinkin about getting its onl 24.99 free shipping and its digital tell me wut u think
http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/Pages/Calipers-pages-new/Accu-Measure-Fat-Calipers/Accu-fat-trackII-new.html

geoffgarcia
04-13-2004, 03:41 PM
looks like a good one at a good price! on ebay that one sells new for like 28$ plus s/h!
let us know how y like it when ya get it!

latinomasfino
04-13-2004, 03:50 PM
looks like a good one at a good price! on ebay that one sells new for like 28$ plus s/h!
let us know how y like it when ya get it!

ok yea i will hopefully it gonna work heheh cause i dont relaly trust my tanita anymore :(