PDA

View Full Version : Fat boy to muscular bber in 5 mos!

Blender
04-12-2004, 04:41 PM
Hey guys, just figured I'd post my pics to motivate myself as well as hopefully others!

Began bodybuilding Jan '03 at 230lbs with a 42" waist.
By May I was 171lbs with a 31" waist and lots of new muscle.
By July I'd packed on another 6lbs during a bulk.
Now I've bulked to a "semi-solid" 195lbs and will now begin cutting to 185.
Wana be 185 by July.
Wanna have the balls to compete by summer '05.

Also, I live and train in NYC and am looking for a hardcore training partner.
So far I've accomplished everything on my own but I'm sure I'll grow that much more quickly with a training buddy, who I can push back. Paging NYC bodybuilders: email me!

Attached are some before/after and other pics. Note that I don't have a "real" before pic; the "before" was taking after lifting for one month and losing 20lbs and beefing up my arms and chest somewhat.

I never resized pics before, hopefully these aren't too small. If they work, I'll post a few more pics afterwards.

Bullet
04-12-2004, 04:46 PM
nice transformation.. did keep a journal of how you got there :clap:

Blender
04-12-2004, 04:57 PM
Here are some more resized pics.

Blender
04-12-2004, 04:59 PM
And some more. Hopefully I'll top myself in a few months. So do I have competition potential?

Blender
04-12-2004, 05:03 PM
Here are some final shots. I had a back injury so I couldn't work legs much, so I have lousy quads, hams, glutes, and calves (and know I need to work on traps, lats, abs, and my bi peaks). The crab attempt is after some bulking, so I'm holding some obvious fat around my midsection (back up from 31" to 33" in the pic, but remember I started 7 months earlier at 42").

Feedback, suggestions, training partners to help me grow even bigger? Thanks.

WillKuenzel
04-12-2004, 05:05 PM
Awesome transformation! You sure did a great job! Its tough to tell from those pics but your legs might be about the only thing that would really hold you back from doing some serious competiting.

If you've got the dedication to do that then you've got the potential to compete, that's for sure.

**edit: Just saw the last leg pics. They aren't that bad. Sure they could use a bit more size but so could everybody's. ;)

Allyrulez
04-12-2004, 05:10 PM
Wowch those arms are huge!!!!!!! Awesome work

Beast
04-12-2004, 05:21 PM
Yeah, your arms are definitely the most devloped part of your body, by far. Looking great!

ryuage
04-12-2004, 05:50 PM
wow good job on the transformation

JTyrell710
04-12-2004, 06:11 PM
you seem to have somethin good here, run with it- keep workin hard, great work!

John0101
04-12-2004, 07:59 PM
awesome work, you should be really proud. Arms look really strong. Work on the legs, they are lagging. How tall are you, im guessing around 5'10?

BCC
04-12-2004, 09:18 PM
Crazy arm genetics. Especially triceps.

harryhoudini66
04-12-2004, 09:22 PM
I agree. Awesome job, but the legs are behind. If you plan on competeing you need to hit them squats big time. Other then that, it is a great transformation.

Blender
04-13-2004, 07:24 AM
John0101: 5'10", right on the money! Aside from my waist, I don't take measurements (rely on the scale and the mirror), so feel free to take a stab at my other stats.

Harryhoudini66: Yes, I have to do squats. I've been deep-squatting on the smith machine with a max of only 135lbs (herniated disc!), but really want to learn how to do free weight squats properly as form is everything and go HEAVIER. Once I nail those (plus I'm currently upping my leg pressing and incorporating lunges) my legs should catch up. But competition-quality legs? At this point, it may take at the very least a year.

Bullet: I didn't keep a precise journal, but I'll give ya'll a very brief rundown:

Jan:
Began 1,900 calorie a day, very low carb and low fat diet with only two light cheat meals on weekends.
Stairmaster: 30 minutes post-workout, fat-burning zone
Weights: 5x per week: M=chest/tris, T=back/bis, W=shoulders/legs, R=off, F=chest/tris, Sa=back/bis, M=shoulders/legs
Lost about 20lbs, beefed up arms/chest somewhat, still looked awful (before pics).

Feb-May (shorts pics):
Added 40-60 minutes lap swimming twice per week. Soon built up to sprinting with absolutely no rest breaks for duration. Speedo size dropped from 40 to 32. Shrinkwrapped waist with no loose skin whatsoever. Jaws dropped around pool.
Added 2-3 60-90 minute yoga classes. Quickly became more flexible than most women in the class, though still behind them on splits. Got a lot of dates. Yoga involves using your bodyweight as resistance, so my strength increased exponentially.
Continued with stairmaster and MODERATE weights and weight-lifting intensity. By May, people were commenting on my striations and asking if I took 'roids.

May-July (dark blue speedo pics June, light blue July):
Increased calories to gain MASS.
Had less free time, so switched to super high intensity (constantly panting, NO rest between sets), 40-50 minute, full body workouts. Sample routine: 20 rep smith squat, chins to max (12), 20 decline bench leg raises, 30 jumping jacks, deep dips to max, REPEAT THIS CIRCUIT NINE MORE TIMES!
No other cardio.
Gained muscle, but also some fat - waist went from 31" pant size to 33".

Aug-Dec:
Had a major surgery and had to slowly rehab. Lost muscle, gained fat. Didn't diet.

Jan:
Began lifting in earnest: HEAVY, single bodypart per day, 5 days per week.
Began light swimming.

Feb:
Added super-strict 3,500 calorie a day bodybuilder's diet.
Between the workout and the diet, in one month my weight remained the same but I dropped 2 pant sizes and gained noticeable muscle.

Mar:
Maintenance

Apr:
Beginning 2,000 calorie per day cutting diet. Anticipate being more jacked than ever by September, and hope to compete by summer '05, legs permitting.

Everyone else: Thanks so much for the encouraging feedback, it motivates me to train harder and get bigger, and get through this diet I just started (gettin' grumpy!). Gained too much fat on the last bulk, so I want to shrinkwrap my waist for summer and then go for more beef in the fall. Feel free to reply or pm me, it keeps me going.

geoffgarcia
04-13-2004, 08:23 AM
good job!
!
2000 calorie cutting diet sounds pretty low if your lifting and swimming?!
if you lost 2 pant sizes on a 3500 calorie diet and gained so much muscle then why go to a drastic 2000 calorie diet? I'd try something like 2600 calories and see how that works for a month or two

dxiw
04-13-2004, 09:52 PM
your arms are amazingly huge..what do they measure?

Blender
04-14-2004, 08:26 AM
I think my arms are 16 1/2, I hope to be 17" in just a few months even though I'm cutting.

Yep, 2,000 calories per day is a tough drop from 3,500 (I'm feeling it), and I might up it in a few days if need be.

Ğragons
04-19-2004, 12:38 PM
wow great transformation.
Looking Good, Especially The arms :-)

Congratz

StevenEric
04-19-2004, 01:07 PM
Nice shot on the single knee by the pool. Arms look great. I just read the actual text you wrote. Very interesting. How did all this motivation explode all of the sudden? Had you once been big like this before and wanted to get back in shape or what? You just look really great. Competing desire too...very cool. My compliments on the change. You sound like you were exercising the entire day...and everyday. Curious as to what line of work your in and how that fit into your schedule.

Exnor
04-20-2004, 04:04 AM
Well done on the transformation. Your triceps look excellent - very large.

Blender
04-20-2004, 08:36 AM
Thanks, everyone.

StevenEric,

I was actually motivated to lose weight by work - I'm a legal manager which is typically sedentary but I was assigned to lift and review the contents of a lot of boxes of files over several months and between my weight and bad back didn't feel physically up to the task. Not as sexy as wanting to get big for football, but read on...

Within the first month given joint problems I took up lap swimming in the kill-or-be-killed lap lanes of the local Y, so I had to sprint FAST. Between seeing myself in a size 40 speedo and the egomaniacal and territorial personalities of the pool, I was motivated to look good in a speedo and kick serious ass!

I continued with my diet, increased my intensity and added yoga. Fast forward 3-4 months: I'm tossing file boxes around like they're beachballs, wearing a size 31 jean, am a universal object of desire, envy and/or fear poolside, and am motivated to next look good in posing trunks.

I didn't train all day, every day. But I did train a lot, working and commuting a lot of hours between training!

I trained every morning before work: weights for major bodyparts M, W & F (followed by 30 minutes of cardio), swimming T & R.

Since the gym was by the train to work and I passed it twice a day, I also trained every evening after work: weights for ancillary bodyparts (calves, abs, forearms) M & W, yoga T & R.

On Saturday I'd repeat my Monday weight workout at Golds and either take an extra long yoga class or lap swim at the Y afterwards.

Sunday I'd take off.

Now between the diet (which I didn't realize then was 1,900 calories per day) with all this working out I thought I'd overtrain and starve, but that was never the case. I was never hungry, and I was always ready to re-tackle the weights because the poundages were moderate and I was continually re-energized by the swimming and yoga. What I WAS was continually sleep-deprived, as I had a long commute and worked increasingly long hours (eventually regularly 50-60 hours per week). Still, I persevered and made no excuses and am currently empowered by my body, which hopefully speaks for itself.

aidano
04-20-2004, 10:19 AM
Great work...props for your dedication.

mr_hand
04-20-2004, 10:47 AM
What did you have surgery for???

Blender
04-20-2004, 01:54 PM
I had my spleen removed. Major surgery last September, six inch incision, over six hours on the operating table. Cleared for lifting by the surgeon two weeks after surgery (those staples hold, boy). Three months light training, one month testing heavier weights, two months full bore. Bulked 25lbs since the surgery, have now begun cutting.

StevenEric
04-21-2004, 10:20 AM
Blender, interesting respose in workout routine. Size 40 down to 31. Now that is amazing. How has this been socially/psychologically on you? I'm thinking a really positive experience but also a whole different (life) perspective. People must be really vocal that have seen this transformation. Do you feel a different dynamic among your friends/family/co workers? Interested to hear how you are experiencing this. You said your turning heads at the pool. Confidence has got to be up there now. Cool. Keep at it. Swimming is the best anyway. Man, you look really great.

Blender
04-25-2004, 11:11 PM
Family response: "Too thin, eat more." Coworker response: they ignored it. Friends: Supportive, except when gym time cut into friend time. Everyone else on the planet: it's no surprise that society treats better built, better looking people better - the muscled, square-jawed me gets a lot of attention on the streets, at the pool, at the gym. But I never took it (or myself) too seriously, as appearances are fleeting. Good thing too - I endured several months of post-surgical ugly after just a couple of months of "stud-dom". But I'm back at the gym, soon to be better than ever.

Chicker
04-26-2004, 05:34 PM
That's pretty awesome! Makes me feel pretty lazy. lol...