PDA

View Full Version : Eating right before bedtime

snanthavong
02-13-2001, 09:37 PM
I normally eat a high protein, zero card meal like fried shrimp and eggs(over easy) right before bedtime. Will this make me fat? Or should I just stick with a zero card protein shake before bedtime? Thanks in advance...

Chris Rodgers
02-13-2001, 09:46 PM
Are you on a strict cutting phase? I can personally have a shake with carbs and peanut butter before bed every night and not gain fat because of it. I fyou are eating your proper amount of cals for the whole day, I see nothing wrong with eating something like that before bed.

snanthavong
02-13-2001, 09:53 PM
Yes, I'm on a very strict cutting phrase. I've always thought eating carbs right before bedtime will make you fat! Please advise...

Chris Rodgers
02-13-2001, 10:00 PM
I'm not a diet expert, but here is something I've learned. Everone handles carbs differently. Some need to go extremely low to lose fat, while others can keep them high and still stay lean. I say if you don't handle carbs too well or you just want to be safe, don't eat carbs before bed. I wouldn't be afraid to have some protein though.

YatesNightBlade
02-14-2001, 02:40 AM
What you frying your shrimps in ???

snanthavong
02-14-2001, 02:46 AM
Spam(I think). It's one of those spray on cooking oil and I believe it's made with vegatbles oils. I also use alot of MSG when I cook, didn't know if that mattered. Thanks for all your response so far guys..

Hellrazor
02-14-2001, 05:48 AM
Hi buddy, it`s fine to eat that before bedtime. I usually eat a bowl of porridge and a protein shake before bed. The only time you will get fat by eating carbs at night is if you`ve already taken in all the daily calories you need therefore it will be stored as fat. So it doesn`t matter what time you eat any food as long as you haven`t already gone over your daily calorie requirements.

Keep on pumpin`:)

gino
02-14-2001, 11:30 AM
Spam? You mean Pam? Haha, spam...that's great.

If you consistantly eat similar amounts of carbs with each meal throughout the day, carbs before bed is ok.

Budiak
02-14-2001, 11:30 AM
I think the product you are using is "PAM". If you fried the shrimp in SPAM you'd have a heart attack the second night out.

Ronan
02-14-2001, 12:50 PM
If you want to maximize growth hormone release while you sleep dont eat any carbs before bed. I never eat carbs in my last meal, when dieting I gradually cut back my starchy carbs to cutting them out at 4.00pm in the afternoon.
You need much less energy when you sleep so why eat carbs in your last meal?

Your body needs amino acids during sleep so any high protein food is good preferably with a slower release so you will have sustained aminos while you sleep. Dont fry your eggs it changes the structure of the otherwise healthy yolk and can raise bad cholesterol(LDL)levels.

Also before bed is a good time to take some EFAS like flaxseed oil or extra virgin olive oil and some fiberous veggies like celery or broccoli.

MissAbs
02-14-2001, 05:47 PM
Gino and Ronan are both right...... Great answers guys...

However if you look at what each of them said you can see where all this food and nutrition stuff can make you crazy.....

the doc
02-14-2001, 06:06 PM
Ronan, please elaborate on comment regarding cooking of eggs as i eat quite a few. Thanks! From what i understand are you saying the fats in the egg are oxidized by heating?
I believe that until you approach the smoking or flash point of an oil (such as those contained in eggs) that contains mainly monounsaturated fats, they are quite stable. so if you "fry" your eggs at low temperature in butter or olive oil everythings ok. These oils have low flash points. This does not go for superunsaturated fats such as flax oil. Anyone please correct me if i'm wrong...

gary
02-14-2001, 07:14 PM
I think ronan's way. I distribute carbs of the last meal into earlier meals of the day. I eat fatty salmon, fat-free cottage cheese, nuts and leafy veggies before bed. Whey protein is a bad choice before bed.

My body seems to store fat rather than using them for energy. I always feel very hungry when I wake up midnight or early morning.

By the way,

I read an article at the
http://www.muscleandfitness.com site main page titled
Naughty or Nice?

When you eat may be the difference between burning fat and sparing muscle.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/magazines/magViewer/FitnMagArt.asp?Catid=235&Objid={971AC1B1-E840-11D4-B89E-0090277C0A31}&curpage=1&curCatID=185&SuperCID=185&CID=B&SubCID=A

snanthavong
02-14-2001, 09:46 PM
Oooops, silly me..yes I meant Pam, not Spam..hahahah. Thank you guys and gals, you guys have been a big help.....

Ronan
02-15-2001, 12:53 AM
Doc: yes the egg yolk will get oxidized if you fry it.You are right in saying monosaturates and saturates oxidize less that is true and its polyunsaturates that turn in to the dangerous trans fatty acids. Frying your eggs at a low temp would also I believe lessen the oxidation. That said there are still healther ways to eat your egg.

snanthavong
02-15-2001, 12:58 AM
Yeah, but boiling your eggs just takes too freaking long....

MissAbs
02-15-2001, 04:24 AM
If you are that worried about the oxidation of the yolk ( I am not, for the few that I eat) then just use the white, and get your 4 grams of fat from something else....

This is food folks..... let's not freak out the world after all it is better than a bowl of fruit loops...right?

Anthony
02-15-2001, 05:02 AM
What's wrong with froot loops? :)

Chris Rodgers
02-15-2001, 08:49 AM
MMMMMMMMM, Fruit Loops!

Cackerot69
02-15-2001, 09:43 AM
lol...Froot Loops.

Breakfast of Champions.