PDA

View Full Version : Effects of alcohol

Jezmason
04-13-2004, 10:54 AM
What effects does alcohol have if your tryin 2 bulk up? I did my back/bis/neck workout b4 goin out 4 my mates birthday and then proceeded 2 get fooked. I only drink twice a week usually, r there any major side-affects?

bigzbling
04-13-2004, 11:08 AM
Well, i dont know of any negative effects of alcohol, but i still try to stay clean. Its been like a year since i took my last sip of booze, but meh, anythign to gain meat ;).

restless
04-13-2004, 11:10 AM
It lowers testosterone, increases estrogen and hinders protein synthesis by up to 25%.

So it will make you gain less muscle and look fatter.

Jezmason
04-13-2004, 11:12 AM
im on 200g of protein a day so i should b fine, i'll just up it on drink/hangover days, and i'm already fat lol

Allyrulez
04-13-2004, 12:04 PM
Drinking is "empty calories"

When i went out i took protein bars with me, but that became too dorky so I quit

Just dont worry about it, it ISNT good drinking while trying to gain but the long term social effects will be worse than the long term muscle effects.. I got too gay over not drinking and missed out a lot of laughs but its all ok now

Spartacus
04-13-2004, 01:11 PM
there are about 100 threads on this

restless
04-13-2004, 01:20 PM
im on 200g of protein a day so i should b fine, i'll

How come? Are you suggesting that increasing dietary protein will make up from decreased protein synthesis inside the muscle?

Berserker
04-13-2004, 05:33 PM
I would think if your not utilizing all the protein, by taking in more should make up for it.
As far as getting fat, bs, it all about how active you are. I've had period where I drank daily and stayed lean. Biggest thing is getting in a rut. Start blowing off training, that you have to watch out for.
But if you drink twice I weed I wouldn't think twice. Unless the day after is a complete waste. Then you need to drink better.

Spartacus
04-13-2004, 07:20 PM
I weed

freudian slip?

Berserker
04-13-2004, 08:05 PM
Reading that, it does comes off weird. Meant to say drinking one a week. Which isn't even close. I thing, is like I have a friend who does???

ectx
04-13-2004, 09:15 PM
Jez, Not meaning to come off as an ass, but there was a thread on this last week. I strongly suggest using the search key.

Saint Patrick
04-13-2004, 09:41 PM
there are about 100 threads on this

x2

Darcy Tucker
04-13-2004, 10:20 PM
I just don't understand why people care so much about the effects of masturbating and drinking alcohol. Both of those things are hard to give up and it doesn't make any sense to completely restrict them if you like them so why even worry about them.

restless
04-14-2004, 12:08 AM
I would think if your not utilizing all the protein, by taking in more should make up for it.

So if your body is not efficiently using the smaller amount of protein you were taking you take more and expect it to "waste" less of it?

That's completely illogical.

As far as getting fat, bs, it all about how active you are. I've had period where I drank daily and stayed lean. Biggest thing is getting in a rut. Start blowing off training, that you have to watch out for.

Estrogen. Bloat. Subcutaneous water retention. Read something about that.

Spartacus
04-14-2004, 09:09 AM
the bigger problem is decreased protien synth and hormonal problems not protein absorbtion. and extra protein won't fix the first two at all.

Berserker
04-14-2004, 05:47 PM
So if your body is not efficiently using the smaller amount of protein you were taking you take more and expect it to "waste" less of it?

That's completely illogical.

Estrogen. Bloat. Subcutaneous water retention. Read something about that.
What I meant was if your only utilizing 50% of the protein, then doubling the grams would even out. Though I know its not that simple, just an example. As far as estrogen and rention ya I've read it but don't completely agree.

Berserker
04-14-2004, 05:48 PM
Jez, Not meaning to come off as an ass, but there was a thread on this last week. I strongly suggest using the search key.
yes I do quite often, but I don't see this being one of them.

waynis
04-14-2004, 06:45 PM
come on?? alcohol dehydrates your muscles so u think they can repair and grow properly? do u think they will have energy if they are dehydrated? no. alcohol is horrible for muscles. every time i drink a lot on a weekend and try to workout on monday i have little energy and just plain dont feel like working out. if you havent seen this it will catch up with u eventually.

Shao-LiN
04-14-2004, 08:12 PM
What I meant was if your only utilizing 50% of the protein, then doubling the grams would even out. Though I know its not that simple, just an example. As far as estrogen and rention ya I've read it but don't completely agree.

You still miss the point. It's not about utilization, it's about synthesis.

toughguywannabe
04-14-2004, 08:53 PM
Masturbating is bad when trying to bulk up?? uh oh..

Berserker
04-14-2004, 10:30 PM
My point is there alot of people ou there who drinmk and not not fat or scrawny. I am not recommending. Also those people are experienced with it, and maybe out side this converstation.
Like I said I am not remmonding it, but not as bad as some of you tea tottlers, or weekend warriors thinks. Spare me the,"I....", cause I doubt you know.

restless
04-14-2004, 11:56 PM

Man, sorry to say this but you have no clue on what you're talking about.

Stray
04-15-2004, 04:34 PM
Aren't most studies we know on this, based off injecting alcohol into the necks of rats?

Jezmason
04-15-2004, 06:15 PM
i only drink once a week n e way, And find that workin out later on in a hangover day actually helps me get my head straight

Shao-LiN
04-15-2004, 07:57 PM
My point is there alot of people ou there who drinmk and not not fat or scrawny. I am not recommending. Also those people are experienced with it, and maybe out side this converstation.
Like I said I am not remmonding it, but not as bad as some of you tea tottlers, or weekend warriors thinks. Spare me the,"I....", cause I doubt you know.

Who says you have to become fat or stay scrawny to drink?

greekboy80
04-17-2004, 12:37 PM
I have a question...if alcohol dehydrates you, and water is mainly stored in carbohydrates, would you lose some carbohydrates when drinking? and, when you are hungover and your body is trying tyo re-hydrate itself are carbohydrates used in the process? would drinking a hydration drink (gatorade) be benificial?

waynis
04-17-2004, 07:13 PM
I have a question...if alcohol dehydrates you, and water is mainly stored in carbohydrates, would you lose some carbohydrates when drinking? and, when you are hungover and your body is trying tyo re-hydrate itself are carbohydrates used in the process? would drinking a hydration drink (gatorade) be benificial?

no because alcohol has plenty of carbs. u lose electrolytes. this is what causes dehydration. gatorade has electrolytes in it is definetly beneficial after u drink. i always drink a gatorade after i drink. even if i drink a few beers.

Spartacus
04-17-2004, 07:23 PM
i think you're looking at it backwards... if you have more carbs in you, you need a larger amount of water to stay hydrated. just drink a lot of water if you're going to get flattened. although things like electolites and multivitamin would be helpful.

Majestic
04-17-2004, 07:53 PM
Aren't most studies we know on this, based off injecting alcohol into the necks of rats?

Yes.

Spartacus
04-17-2004, 08:20 PM
i think they measure BAC of the rats though

bigedge
04-18-2004, 06:34 PM
Just dont worry about it, it ISNT good drinking while trying to gain but the long term social effects will be worse than the long term muscle effects.. I got too gay over not drinking and missed out a lot of laughs but its all ok now

im with you here. just go and have a few beers, who cares wouldnt you rather be out having a great time with your mates than at home by yourself

Berserker
04-18-2004, 07:35 PM
no because alcohol has plenty of carbs. u lose electrolytes. this is what causes dehydration. gatorade has electrolytes in it is definetly beneficial after u drink. i always drink a gatorade after i drink. even if i drink a few beers.
No carbs in alcohol. I do agree with the gatoraid thing. You can drink just got to be smart about it.

JSully
04-18-2004, 08:03 PM
Think of the money ur wasting.. I can deal with the negative effects with the muscles, but jeez, I'm 100% irish and I know I can kill a good portion of a 1/2 gallon of vodka in one night. On top of that, the more you drink the higher you're resistance level is going to get to. Pretty soon you'll be like me and leave a bar with $150-200 less than when you first got there, and thats before you add in all the drinks you bought for your lady friend(s?)..

Its not smart, but not to be a party pooper, I do drink every few months. Alcoholism is in my blood and its hereditary and both my parents are alcoholics so I'm screwed. And for me there's no such thing as casual drinking. Either I'm loaded or I'm not. I'm not "drunk" until I throw up once, then, my dumbass goes back and drinks more because I feel SOO much better after I chuck it once. Last time I went to the bar me and my buddy drank 1/2 bottle (1/5th) of Absolute Vodka, 1/2 bottle (1/5th) CabaWaba tequila, and an entire 1/5th of Jagermeister... and he only had 3 shots of the tequila and thats it.

Our tab was $159. :(

Spartacus
04-19-2004, 12:26 AM
yeah that does not qualify as "being smart about it" lol

Berserker
04-19-2004, 05:30 PM
Thats why I drink at home or atleast warm up.

waynis
04-19-2004, 06:40 PM
No carbs in alcohol. I do agree with the gatoraid thing. You can drink just got to be smart about it.

well alcohol itself but who drink 100% alcohol. hard liquor has carbs and lots of sugar as well as beer.

Spartacus
04-19-2004, 06:43 PM
most liquor doesn't have carbs unless you're mixing it into girly drinks.

shootermcgavin7
04-19-2004, 09:59 PM

I wonder how well that would work.................

:scratch:

JSully
04-20-2004, 01:37 AM
I wonder how well that would work.................

:scratch:

LMAO hahahahahahah... Try it out buddy! :) Lets do some math shall we?

:strong: plus :alcoholic leads to :swear: which, in turn leads to :disagree: which, then turns into :bash: and now you feel super :strong: and all the ladies are impressed so its time pick one and :hump:

:help: I have too much free time @ night.

waynis
04-20-2004, 03:32 PM
most liquor doesn't have carbs unless you're mixing it into girly drinks.

well doesnt it have sugar...carbs break down into sugar so they are like hand in hand right?

Spartacus
04-20-2004, 04:55 PM
i'm not sure what you're talking about, from USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference (http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/)

whisky, gin, vodka, rum:

Nutrient Units 1.5 X 1 fl oz
41.7g
Proximates
Water
g 27.77

Energy
kcal 96

Energy
kj 403

Protein
g 0.00

Total lipid (fat)
g 0.00

Ash
g 0.00

Carbohydrate, by difference
g 0.00

Fiber, total dietary
g 0.0

Sugars, total
g 0.00

so unless you're adding coke or liquers or something like that, you're not getting sugar.

Shark
04-20-2004, 05:23 PM
Hard alcohol doesn't have carbs: vodka, gin, rum, tequila, etc. Beer, wine, wine coolers, anything you buy @ 7-11 when its 2:30am, those all have carbs and sugar. If you are worried about carbs order rum and diet coke, no carbs ~77 calories for the shot of rum. Or better yet, stop ****ing worrying about having a few drinks now and then. I did that in college and missed out on a lot of things. I'm not doing it anymore.