PDA

View Full Version : What's so good about brown and wild rice?

Great Gatsby
04-13-2004, 07:29 PM
People always suggest to put it in their diet. But it doesn't have much protein or other nutrients, and it has a lot of carbs. Pretty much the same as white rice. I was just wondering why it's recommended so much.

galileo
04-13-2004, 07:32 PM
People have the impression that it has less of an effect on insulin.

...and protein is not the only macronutrient.

ectx
04-13-2004, 09:18 PM
It's also higher in fiber, which makes it more filling. I'm also thinking, for some reason (gal, correct me if I'm wrong) that some of the cals in brown rice are undigestible.

Shao-LiN
04-14-2004, 01:36 AM
But it doesn't have much protein or other nutrients, and it has a lot of carbs.

I dunno bout you, but I don't eat things like bread, pasta, rice, or sweet potatoes for their protein content. I eat them for carb content. Brown rice/wild rice, like was mentioned, has some fiber in it.

PiKappaWRX
04-14-2004, 01:56 AM
brown/wild rice has a lower GI than white rice does, thus making it impact your blood sugar levels less. they also contain more fiber, so yes some of the calories are indigestible (the ones from fiber). they're over all better for you because of the lower GI and the fact that they will take longer for your body to digest as they are more complex than white rice. and the longer it takes your body to digest something, the more your metabolism has to work, thus speeding it up by convincing it that it must work harder.

TheGimp
04-14-2004, 03:06 AM
or other nutrients

You mean aside from niacin, vitamin B6, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, selenium, vitamin E and fiber?

ryuage
04-14-2004, 04:58 AM
:withstupi morenutrients.

hemants
04-14-2004, 06:32 AM
More micronutrients, lower glycemic, more fibre and about 10% protein by the way.

galileo
04-14-2004, 12:51 PM
It's also higher in fiber, which makes it more filling. I'm also thinking, for some reason (gal, correct me if I'm wrong) that some of the cals in brown rice are undigestible.

Well soluable fiber passes slows down digestion a bit, which is the effect it is said to have on insulin levels. But checking the GI, you see the difference isn't that huge. Insoluable fiber is what makes yer poop smooth and isn't really digested at all. Yes, I said it. Poop. I'm not sure on the content of sol/insol in brown rice, but it's likely not phenomenal. Still a better choice than white in general.

Shao-LiN
04-14-2004, 08:19 PM
brown/wild rice has a lower GI than white rice does, thus making it impact your blood sugar levels less. they also contain more fiber, so yes some of the calories are indigestible (the ones from fiber). they're over all better for you because of the lower GI and the fact that they will take longer for your body to digest as they are more complex than white rice. and the longer it takes your body to digest something, the more your metabolism has to work, thus speeding it up by convincing it that it must work harder.

The GI isn't that much lower than white rice. It would have more nutrients, though.

ectx
04-14-2004, 10:31 PM
Well soluable fiber passes slows down digestion a bit, which is the effect it is said to have on insulin levels. But checking the GI, you see the difference isn't that huge. Insoluable fiber is what makes yer poop smooth and isn't really digested at all. Yes, I said it. Poop. I'm not sure on the content of sol/insol in brown rice, but it's likely not phenomenal. Still a better choice than white in general.

POOP. There, I said it to. From what I pubmed'd there's about 4% more fiber in brown than white. That's almost twice as much fiber as white rice. Thanks for the info joto. I must poop now.

PiKappaWRX
04-16-2004, 02:37 AM
what do you guys use as a resource to check the GI of different items?

galileo
04-16-2004, 05:08 AM
I think there is a GI and II index source on http://www.mendosa.com.