PDA

View Full Version : Muscle Media 50lb Bench Program

Alaric
04-14-2004, 07:32 PM
I'm thinking about starting this routine up next week, I've read some comments on this site about it, but I have a couple questions.
What's the Rotator-Cuff Exercise that you do on the 2nd shoulder day during the week?

Also, how much did you gain in bench the first time you used this program? Did you gain any size as well?

Strider2
04-14-2004, 07:50 PM
I started this a few days ago and I'm curious about the rotator cuff exercises too.

From what I've heard theres an average increase of 20-30lbs.

Minotaur
04-15-2004, 07:34 AM
From what I've heard theres an average increase of 20-30lbs.

I would be very happy with an increase of 20-30lbs. It's actually my goal (well, 40, but small steps :D).

I'm going to look at the plan. The only thing is that I'm cutting now, so I don't know that I'll have the strength to add that much. Generally on a cut you lose a bit of strength.

Well, there's only one way to find out... :idea:

bruejam
04-15-2004, 08:39 AM
I did this program a few years ago, and was very happy with the results. I was able to reach the 50-lb. increase, going from 250 to 300. When we did the rotator cuff exercises, we just used a 5 pound plate and did slow windmills. I would suggest making sure your form is perfect before you get too far into this program... it can be tough on the rotator cuffs.

Good luck... it's a great program!

rerard
04-15-2004, 09:39 AM
Anyone have a link to this program? I just completed an 8-week one from M&F which added about 30 pounds to my bench but id love to try something new.

bruejam
04-15-2004, 01:00 PM
http://www.musclemedia.com/training/bench/benchintro.asp

ask and ye shall receive. :)

DontGiveUp
04-15-2004, 04:03 PM
If your a beginner this program could work, but if your intermediate to advanced, you won't have a prayer.

Alaric, what your BW and 1RM on bench?

BigRic
04-15-2004, 06:00 PM
I don't understand the failure part of the workout?

Alaric
04-15-2004, 07:05 PM
DontGiveUp - I weigh 165-170, and my 1RM is 205.

BigRic - The failure part of the workout is to help you track your progress, so you got to try and rep that weight as many times as you can. According to the number of reps performed you'll move the weights up/down or stay for your 1RM.

HahnB
04-15-2004, 07:34 PM
The rotator cuff exersise is not just holding a weight and moving your arms in circles. It's holding your arm up, elbow bent at a 90 degree angle and your hand pointed toward the ceiling. Keeping your elbow in 1 spot, move your hand as far as you can toward the ground, then back up.

DontGiveUp
04-15-2004, 10:53 PM
DontGiveUp - I weigh 165-170, and my 1RM is 205.

BigRic - The failure part of the workout is to help you track your progress, so you got to try and rep that weight as many times as you can. According to the number of reps performed you'll move the weights up/down or stay for your 1RM.

The failure part of the workout is always a bad idea(in regards to strength training). I realize that it's part of the program, but that just shows it's biggest flaw.

You still have a lot of room left in your bench before you have trouble gaining strength. You'll probably get stronger with this program once, but you won't be able to geet stronger a second time.

It's just a poor routine.

DiViN
04-16-2004, 01:58 PM
If u know weights well enough u won't have to actually hit failure, just the rep before u know u would hit failure.

I've been looking to doing that program for a while now, but there's a few things that bug me. The most important is the overtraining part. I know some ppl can get by with this but others can't, i know i would get weaker doing this. Ur benching heavy twice a week(5 sets heavy 2ce a week), then on top of just heavy work, ur doing extra damaging work like negatives for 4 weeks, then failure tests, then 3-2-1 rep sets, all together for 7 weeks, twice a week??? That's just crazy... sounds like a routine that would be better suited for someone just starting out, who has some really good recovery ability.

Alke
04-16-2004, 04:04 PM
I used it when I was still a newbie and did well with it, I gained almost 50 pounds in the lift.

I couldnt see doing it now as it takes longer to recover from lifts when using heavier weights. For myself, Their is a big difference in recovery from doing reps of 115 to doing reps with 225.

Alaric
04-20-2004, 06:15 PM
I'm currently using this routine right now, while I am still a newbie and hopefully get 30-40 lbs on my bench. Its an adjustment, volume wise for me. This is my first week at it.

BigRic
04-20-2004, 10:31 PM
I don't get how they expect you to do 3 or 4 warms up sets and then 5 more working sets. thats crazy.

DontGiveUp
04-21-2004, 05:09 AM
Alaric, I was looking at your signature. Your goals seem a little ambitious for your deadlift and bench, but not for your squat.

With a proper strength program your squat and deadlift would probably go up the most, then your bench. Not trying to give you a hard time.

If you started now, in ten weeks with your current lifts, you could be looking at a 340-355 squat, 225-235 bench and 365-380 deadlift.

Alaric
04-22-2004, 02:43 PM
DontGiveUp - my squat and deadlift aren't my prioirity lifts right now. I'd be happy if I reached my deadlift goal by next year, I see it as a long term goal.
My bench press, I'm trying to get up for July so I can get on the school's record wall, which is why I'm trying to blast it to 250.

I'm not looking for pure strength however, I'm also looking to pack size as well. Bodybuilding, but taking pride in strength as well.

dsuh
06-21-2004, 04:41 PM
I got up 30lbs on my bench using this program. 195 start, 220 finish... Great stuff! Just need 5 more to hit 2 45's woohoo!

Alaric
06-21-2004, 10:00 PM
Ye, I got about a 35lb increase with this program

hemants
06-22-2004, 06:21 AM
Great program. I didn't do the rotator cuff exercises though.

KingJustin
06-22-2004, 08:55 AM
I've done this one and Fortified Iron's program. FI's is the better of the two, but for either one you probably should taper a week or two before trying it. I had good results for both, all lifts that I did on this routine went up a good bit.

McFerret85
06-22-2004, 12:15 PM
Where could I find Fortified Iron's program?

dsuh
06-22-2004, 01:00 PM
Great program. I didn't do the rotator cuff exercises though.

yah me too.. and I got great results

KingJustin
06-22-2004, 02:53 PM
FI's (Kyle's) Russian Bench Routine:
http://fortifiediron.net/bench.html

Internal/External Rotator Exercises
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Subscapularis/DBInternalRotation.html
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Infraspinatus/DBUprightExternalRotation.html

The rotator cuff exercises are important as they help prevent injury.

Frankster
06-23-2004, 07:09 AM
I did this a few years ago along with another guy at the gym who has been training 15+ years and hasn't been able to improve his bench much in the last few years. I ended up adding 40 lbs to my bench and he ended up adding 60 lbs. Those that say that the volume is crazy.. it's not so.. it seems like it, but the warm up sets are for few reps and light and do not tire you at at all. You do bench 2 times a week, but that is the only exercise (or close to the only, I can't remember) that you do for chest. I have a hard time recuperating normally, but this program didn't overtrained me, the whole program with the sequence of exercise is geared towards improving your bench so all the supporting muscles are trained appropriatelly. I recommend it to everyone, even the skeptics :)

McFerret85
06-23-2004, 09:13 AM
FI's (Kyle's) Russian Bench Routine:
http://fortifiediron.net/bench.html

Internal/External Rotator Exercises
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Subscapularis/DBInternalRotation.html
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Infraspinatus/DBUprightExternalRotation.html

The rotator cuff exercises are important as they help prevent injury.

Thanks for the links, Bizatch!! Looks intense.