PDA

View Full Version : Making Varsity

JeffWillConquer
04-14-2004, 08:02 PM
As of today i've started my rigorous training program to make the varisty basketball team next year. I haven't played on an actual team for 2 years, so it's going to be a challenge. Anyways, here's a few stats.

Height: 5'10
Weight: 160(ish, might've dropped since last time)

Legend:
Bold = Drill.

First on the list to get in check today was diet. I dropped all soda whatsoever. I'm collecting all the water bottles I drink and the ones my friends are going to throw away so i've got plenty for when i'm on the road or too lazy to fill up a glass. The only downside of today(if you want to call it that) was my mom bringing home chinese food. Can't say I didn't enjoy every bite.

Then I got home and it was chest day. Benching, incline, you know the deal. I'm not going to track the weights and all of that on here right now. I've got to really focus on a few other things at the moment, and plate increase isn't one of them.

Free throws:
Make 100
a) Made: 25 Missed: 18 58%
b) Made: 25 Missed: 23 52%
c) Made: 25 Missed: 20 55%
d) Made: 25 Missed: 17 59.5%
Totals- Made: 100 Missed: 78 56%
Notes: I tallied the shots in 25 shot increments. My total shot average was 56%. Off day I guess. My goal is to consistently hit 70% by summer vacation.(about 8 weeks.)

Jump Shot:
My friend that plays for his school told me about this game he used to play. He would shoot a particular shot he wanted to work on and every shot he made he got 1 point, but everyone he missed the imaginary opponent got 2. I decided to do that today for fun. I played to 20. Let's title this game "2 for 1"
2 for 1
Point A) Loss- Me: 14 Imaginary Opponent: 20
Point B) Loss- Me: 9 Imaginary Opponent: 20.

Notes: Lost on both sides. This pissed me off. I need to work on my jump shot a lot. Technically I shot about 50% from each spot, but my goal is to be able to win in a game where it would be 3 for 1, or every miss counts as 3. I was off today.

That was it for basketballing today. I messed around a bit just shooting around. There's still some light outside, so I'll probably go work on my three pointers and jump shot. Actually i'm thinking about working on my vertical leap too. I think if I practice jumping towards the rim I could actually get better at jumping in that manner. Tommorrow i'll do box jumps and some jump rope since I won't be lifting weights. I also need to eat breakfast tomorrow. Alright guys, i'm out. Welcome to the new journal.

JD77
04-14-2004, 08:19 PM
Cool....a new journal. :spam:

Best of luck making the team. The jump shot game sounds like a good idea.

rookiebldr
04-14-2004, 08:35 PM
Yeah, making the team!!!!

JeffWillConquer
04-14-2004, 09:01 PM
Thanks for stopping by guys. I was practicing jumping to touch the rim. I had my friend Bob come over and he said I was about 2 inches from touching. This was also on the sloped driveway, so I might be able to tap rim on a regular court. I did about 25 jumps, then we played some 21. I beat him both times, but it was fun. Anyways, i'm out. Goodnight.

JTyrell710
04-14-2004, 09:21 PM
Jeff you better post in here often cuz i sure as hell will be-
I like that game 2for the opponent, one for you- i think i might play that myself

JeffWillConquer
04-14-2004, 09:27 PM
Yeah, I will. My other journal went real strong for about half a year, until I had a few problems at home. I'll be in here daily, no doubt.

Yeah, that game is nice.

I'm bumpin: Cee-lo Green- Glockapella.

ReturnedFire
04-14-2004, 09:31 PM
make sure you play pickup games and stuff too. playing 5 on 5 fullcourt is the best way to assess your strengths and weaknesses.

:spam: good luck on the journal :thumbup:

JeffWillConquer
04-16-2004, 09:49 AM
Played a game with some friends yesterday. I scored about 8 points(1 point a basket). I also did pretty good on rebounding. One of my friend's is on his school's varsity team, so I was trying to watch some things he did. Anyways, today i'm going to work on the free throws and jumpers. Peace. Oh yeah, diet's going good. No sodas still, woot.

JTyrell710
04-17-2004, 04:51 PM
the best way to get better is to play against varsity players, especially ones that are talented and not just big kids- you learn what to do very quickly
on a side note, i played to me 1, opponent 2 game, lost 20-11 it was good fun tho

Allenronm
04-17-2004, 08:04 PM
good luck on making the team.

train hard

ryuage
04-17-2004, 08:43 PM
looks like you know what you are doing and are really serious in accomplishing this task, good luck!