PDA

View Full Version : stop losing weight?

FearTheRam
04-14-2004, 10:24 PM
ive cut from 290lbs down to around 220lbs. im 6'3 and figure i need to be around 190-195. for the past 2 months or so (after reading on this site) increased my calorie intake from 1200cal a day to 2000cal per day. ive also cut back on my cardio to focus more on my lifting. it seems that im really not losing weight anymore, that some weeks i seem to even gain a pound. i seem to be fluctating and not steadily going down. i mean im still fat wouldnt 2000cal still have me losing around 2lbs a week? any ideas? thanks!

snow
04-14-2004, 11:01 PM
taking away your cardio, lifting, and upping your calories isn't going to promote weight loss. and 6'3" 220 doesn't really sound too fat to me.

FearTheRam
04-15-2004, 12:01 AM
im lifting 3 times a week. i play bball 2-4 times a week and run twice a week (usually 2-3miles). im fat simply because only a small portion of that weight is muscle. i mean i read that 1200cal was waaaay to low but now it seems that im not losing weight. i realize im running alot less than i was but from what i read i could never exercise while eating 2000cal and still be losing weight.

Shao-LiN
04-15-2004, 08:19 AM
You could never exercise while eating 2000 kcals? Dunno what that means. First you were eating extremely low calorie wise AND running cardio which furthers your calorie deficit. Now, you upped your calories and dropped down your cardio. Be consistent. If you're not gonna be doing as much cardio, maybe drop the calories down by 100 or so until you're losing weight.

FearTheRam
04-15-2004, 10:57 AM
what i meant was that people made all these replies saying how they were smaller than me yet cutting on way more calories. i realize that im not doing as much but fitday says that just by living i should be burning like 3000cal aday, plus im exercising of some sort everyday (just not always cardio). so even though im 6'3 220 i need to go below 2000cal a day?

geoffgarcia
04-15-2004, 11:01 AM
from eating 1200 calories your metabolism has slowed to a crawl as it was in starvation mode.
it takes some time for it to get back to a more appropriate speed.
when you go from slow metabolism to high calories your gonna gain weight so thats why you've seen increases.
your diet also plays a factor in the speed of your metabolism.
The most important thing to do is track your diet with a tool that will plot your weight vs caloric intake on a daily basis...that way you'll be able to quickly figure out where your metabolism is and go from there.

I'm 5'10, 210 and my cutting caloric intake is 2700 calories

FearTheRam
04-15-2004, 11:17 AM
sd bruvah ;)

yea i thought my metabolism was the problem as it had slowed down but ive been doing the 2000cal thing now since january 26th, you think its still messed up? im using fitday to track everything i eat (have been since that date as well). i mean im just getting discouraged because it seems as though these have been wasted weeks. from fitday based on my hieght/weight:

Total: 3261
Basal: 2249 69%
Lifestyle: 1012 31%
Activities: 0 0%

so shouldnt that mean id be in roughly a 1000cal deficiet everyday even before exercising? im half tempted to drop way back down in cals and start running everyday again because it seems like im just wasting time.

geoffgarcia
04-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Hiya fear:)
SDOT foeva!

that 3261 is your maintenance number given your current level of activity.

basal is how much it would take for your body to survive (neither gaining or losing) if you were in a coma.
lifestyle typically up's calories by 10-50% depending upon level of activity.
Even on a diet its not recommended to go below your basal for to long, unless your doing a VLCD which it doesn't sound like you need.

its hard to say why your not losing the weight because fitday (either downloadable or online version) don't provide the graphs needed to determine your metabolic rate.
dietorganizer shows a graph (or you could do this in excel) that shows two lines.
One for daily caloric intake, the other for daily bodyweight....for me there is a 3 day difference in high calorie/weight gain or low calorie/weight loss, which helps me to narrow down where my metabolism is and stay on track.

I don't have much to offer, sounds like your calories are on track...but there has to be a reason you haven't seen progress in 2.5 months. have you been measuring bodyfat?

FearTheRam
04-15-2004, 11:45 AM
no i havent measured bf. when i first started on the 2000cal diet i gained some weight, then it started going back down to where i was, then in the past month or so ive been really fluctuating. like one day at the gym i measured myself at like 225 with shoes, then a week later (after dieting all week) i measured 230 w/ shoes on. is it possible that im still losing fat but for some reason (water/food intake) when i weigh myself it isnt reflecting that? i mean i dont except to see any visible difference week to week but when the scale is basically telling me i weigh the same or more as a month ago that sucks. you think i should throw running back in? ever since ive been eating more and running less ive been making MUCH better gains in the weight room but it seems my weight has stalled out. boooo

geoffgarcia
04-15-2004, 12:15 PM
there are a lot of things it could be,
there are some great tools out there that measure fat free mass, total body fat, and total body water....these three things combined give an accurate picture of whats going on with your body. Another guy on this board is reporting similar things to you, but luckily he has the numbers and it shows that he has just been holding a little extra water and has been putting on muscle, while losing bodyfat, ...this combination makes it appear that your making no progress, when in fact he is making awesome strides.

if ya wanna run I'd recommend adding it at the end of weight training.
You've already burned a good amount of fuel and the theory has it that this would be the best time to put in 10-20 minutes of cardio to burn off extra fat.

If your worried about moving some fat you could also try some of the avant labs products such as lipoderm or absolve which have gotten good reviews from users on forums like this.

FearTheRam
04-15-2004, 12:23 PM
i recently started on creatine so that made my weight go up as well, but everything im talking about was occuring pre-creatine. thanks alot. i guess ill go back to running everyday or so for the time being. i had been reading about the absolve and lipoderm ultra on here. are they actually worth the money (im a poor college student)?

geoffgarcia
04-15-2004, 12:37 PM
i recently started on creatine so that made my weight go up as well, but everything im talking about was occuring pre-creatine. thanks alot. i guess ill go back to running everyday or so for the time being. i had been reading about the absolve and lipoderm ultra on here. are they actually worth the money (im a poor college student)?
read the reviews on here, just use the search tool and look for absolve or lipoderm, most people don't mention the brand in their posts, or you could go to the avant labs forums, there you can read posts from the guys that actually develop the stuff, and read reviews on how people like it.
I haven't tried it myself, but have read some really convincing things.

I haven't read a single review that said the products didn't work. Granted usually one of the products has a much greater effect than the other based on where you have most of your fat stored...so usually people will say one worked and the other didn't...
good luck!