PDA

View Full Version : Please help me figure out my diet... :)

Jane
10-07-2001, 08:48 AM
Ok, I'm finally going to sit down and post a diet. I'm *trying* to figure out something like a 40-40-20 C-P-F ratio for approximately 1800-2000 calories, staying away from supplements. This is what I have so far, and I know its not very clean, but I'm trying to make changes little by little.

I'm 5'7, about 110 pounds, and I lift ONLY 2-3 times a week for 40 minutes. Since I just got back to the weightroom after a long break, keep in mind I don't annihilate myself every time I go, either. I'm looking to gain .5-1 pound a week (slow because I don't train that much) and I maintain at about 1400 calories, hence the 1800-2000 calorie goal.

(6:15 AM) Meal 1:
.5 cup egg substitute
1 large egg
2 slices lean turkey bacon
.25 cup fatfree cheese
1.5 cup skim milk
1 cup whole-grain cereal
6 tbsp salsa
total: 585 cal
68g carb, 61g protein, 13g fat
46% cal from carb, 42% cal from protein, 20% cal from fat

(11:50 AM) Meal 2 (pre-workout, only if workout day, see above):
2 slices light wholewheat bread
3 slices roast beef
1 slice pastrami
3 oz canned chicken
1 sweet red pepper
1 tsp olive oil
total: 315 cal
30g carb, 31g protein, 8g fat
38% carb cal, 40% protein cal, 23% fat cal

(2:45 PM) Meal 3 (post workout, only if workout day, see above):
2 slices light wholewheat bread
2.5 oz tuna
.25 cup lowfat cottage cheese
total: 210 cal
17g carb, 29g protein, 3g fat
32% carb cal, 55%protein cal, 13% fat cal

(6:30 PM) Meal 4:
1 sweet red pepper
1 tomato
1 cucumber
.5cup snow peas
.75 cup broccoli
5 cup mixed greens
2 tsp olive oil
5 tbsp lowfat italian dressing
4 oz grilled chicken
1 Light N Fit Yogurt
total: 597 cal
70g carb, 43g protein, 18g fat
47% carb cal, 29% protein cal, 27% fat cal

TOTAL SO FAR: about 1740 calories
169g carb (133g if subtract 36g fiber), 172 protein, 42g fat
about 39% carb 39% protein 22% fat

What do you all think? What do I add, subtract, should I change the ratios?

Thanks in advance! :)

By the way, if you want me to post the carb-protein-fat info for any foods, I can easily. I know my eating isnt the typical oatmeal/tuna/flax oil, so you might not know what is in some of the stuff.

Spiderman
10-07-2001, 09:03 AM
Well, it looks to be pretty good. Although I'd cut down on some of that protein at breakfast. For you and knowing about you I'd lower it to around 30 g. Thats plenty for ya. Leave the carbs where they're at.

Meal 2: Increase the carbs a little bit and it'll be better.

Meal 3: For post-workout...you need more carbs. Remember a good combo of carbs and protein will only help your body recover faster. I'd opt for about 45 g carbs (quick acting mind you.... gatorade, white rice...etc. We're lookin at high GI here) and then leave the protein where its at. That should help ya out some.

Meal 4: After I finish my post workout meal I'll eat a whole meal another 1.5 hours later. B/c I know my body has sucked up everything I ate post-workout and could use some more for recovery. Thus I have a meal with about the same ratios as my post workout meal, only whole food. Post-workout is usually liquid protein and quick acting carbs for me.

Meal 5: Have this 2 hours after your meal 4. Just go back to your normal diet. If this would be dinner for ya.. (about 6:15 or so if I figure right) Then eat that Meal #4 here. The one loaded with all those veggies... however I'd watch the Yogurt. It probly has a bunch of sugar in it.

Meal 6: Try to get a little protein before bed.

Overall, I think you're not gettin enough carbs right now. I know its gonna be really tough... (you know I've been where you're at now..;) ) But I know you want this and you can do it if ya tell yourself you can. Try to incorporate this new diet and I think you'll like the results you get. Your energy levels will probly be a bit higher. Hope this helps ya out. :)

Jane
10-07-2001, 05:28 PM
the yogurt is flavored with aspartame and fructose, is fructose really that bad?

thanks spidey

the doc
10-07-2001, 05:44 PM
i like what spidey said but i would add

drop the egg substitute for another egg in meal 1; eggs have improtant fats in them and if your worried you can drop fat from postworkout meal

How do you get that high a protein count in meal 1 ? If your adding in protein from wheat cereal its ok to be that high in protein for 1 meal as the wheat is hard to diegest and is not complete

Dont count the fiber; also i think you need more meals like spidey said. something before bed

Remember, in planning your meals they all needn't be the same ratios (40/40/20). What is important is that the total sum over the day is giving you what you want.

Jane
10-08-2001, 10:51 AM
actually doc, that ratio thing worked out by accident kind of, i just tried to mix protein/carb/fat in all my meals and it came out like that

for meal 1 i got my protein like this: 15g from egg sub (thats the reason i like it, lots of protein compared to regular 1 egg), 6g from egg, 6g from turkey, 9g from cheese, 13g from milk, 11g from cereal. I dont really think that is too much, because of the cereal factor like you said.

I'm still a little unsure as to how to split this stuff up into more meals. I think if I get a little more carb in through cereal or regular wholewheat bread or something (it shouldnt be hard), other than that it seems like the foods and ratios will do? But how to split it up with school in the way???

The only thing I have come up with so far is to have my huge salad w/olive oil and yogurt at dinnertime and save the grilled chicken until its closer to bedtime? (which, since I get up at 5am every morning, is around 9:30 :p )

Or should I have the yogurt closer to post workout since it is loaded with sugar? (fructose+aspartame)

Thanks guys

Wizard
10-08-2001, 10:57 AM
Well if you try not to combine many carbs+fat in the same meal you're ok.

Jane
10-08-2001, 11:44 AM
i never understood why not, blackalpha

and how much fat is too much in a carb/protein meal? is there a gram approximation, cause if i replace the egg in meal 1 for fatfree egg sub for example, i will bring it down to about 2.5g fat for meal 1. hows that?

Mystic Eric
10-08-2001, 11:54 AM
what spidey said. yep, you should really be eating 5-6 meals a day.

and have a good multivitamin, 'cause you can't be lacking in the vitamins and minerals young lady tuttut other good things to do would be to have a vitamin c pill as well. 'cause when you're training, and with the stresses of school and all, it's easy to catch a cold, and you don't want to do that. and remember to put on your jacket before you step outside young lady!

basically all the advice that everyone has given you is great, so follow it! ;)

Cackerot69
10-08-2001, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Jane
i never understood why not, blackalpha

:swear:

the doc
10-08-2001, 08:32 PM
you need to try and eat at least every 4 hours if your active.
Every one doesn't have to be a "meal".

Move meal 2 up
post workout meal back 1-2 hrs and have a myoplex or equivalent post workout (protein shake with~40 g carbs= 1 meal)
switch yougurt to meal 3 and cottage cheese to last (you want cheese before bed)
Add a snack in during the day (piece of fruit, serving of nuts = 1 meal)

also since you aren't counting fibre you'll have room to add a these extras ;)

Jane
10-10-2001, 03:55 PM
sorry cack.

maybe someone has a good link on this carb/protein, fat/protein stuff?

Jane
10-11-2001, 04:23 PM
btw, its hard to snack when you're stuck in school taking notes or whatnot. any ideas anyone for really easy-to-sneak, packable foods?

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-11-2001, 04:26 PM
jane, i'd answer your question, but your avatar is too ace to change the subject...

Orange357
10-11-2001, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
jane, i'd answer your question, but your avatar is too ace to change the subject...

lol.. why did i expect someone to hit on her...lol:rolleyes:

Pup
10-12-2001, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by Orange357

lol.. why did i expect someone to hit on her...lol:rolleyes:

Well, it is CD, and he's trying to act str8 while Gino is away, besides, attractive young women should be hit on, it builds their self-confidence :) (its my logic, i can use it if i want to)

Jane
10-12-2001, 05:58 AM
lol@at all u funny people

and my avatar kicks a**. thank you.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-12-2001, 06:11 AM
i wasn;t trying to hit on her - i just think her avatar is prolly the best on the board.

Pup
10-12-2001, 06:42 AM
CD=kiss ass

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-12-2001, 06:46 AM
rob you illiterate, you've spelt 'kick' wrong.

dumbass...

Pup
10-12-2001, 08:53 AM
lmao, nice one CD

Jane
10-12-2001, 01:31 PM
come on, someones gotta have SOMETHING on topic to say...any links for the protein/fat thing?

lol@CD telling pup he cant spell :D

Orange357
10-12-2001, 01:37 PM
lmao..:hump:

Orange357
10-12-2001, 01:38 PM
here try this: http://www.protraineronline.com/past/july2/nutrient.cfm
if not well i didnt really read all the thread:)

Spiderman
10-12-2001, 01:41 PM
Well, I'm thinkin it may have somethin to do with having to much of one or the other. If you eat a bunch of both then your body will just store the excess of both. I wouldn't worry about it to much seein as how you're not eating that much to begin with. Just try to increase your intake as we've said previously (see my post above) and just make sure you're diet is low in fat. Try to stay around 60 g fat total, (maybe a little less) and no more than 10-15 g sat fat daily. Hope this clears it up for ya. ;)

Cackerot69
10-12-2001, 01:46 PM
Not really spidey. It causes a synergistic fat storing response. I've explained this to you 239857953 times Jane.... tuttut

Jane
10-12-2001, 01:56 PM
239857953 times? wow, and here i was thinking i was a quick learner. sorry cack, sometimes you have to deal with us slower people. science is confusing sometimes, you know.

thanks for the link orange, but i think my ratios are not too bad as they are. ill just dig up a little something about the synergistic fat storage response stuff some more, maybe try to finally fully get it. then again, i do have psats coming up...so maybe this will be temporarily put on the back burner.

Orange357
10-12-2001, 02:02 PM
well good luck:)

Cackerot69
10-12-2001, 02:12 PM
Yes, precisely 239857953 times.

Here's one of them (ironaically I posted it after you asked specifically):

OK, when you eat carbs the hormone insulin is released. When insulin is released it's antagonistic hormone glucagon is lowered. Glucagon is responsible for burning fat and preventing fat from being stored. When glucagon is low, fat storage is high, and beta-oxidation (meaning fat burning for energy) is very low and pretty much impossible. If you eat high carbs along with high fat you get low glucagon/high insulin along with a lot of fat in the blood, and as a result this fat is stored. In simple terms, high fat with high carbs = synergistic fat storage. It's the most effective way of putting on fat.

By separating them, you can take advantage of both glucagon and insulin. You have your carb meals and insulin is released, this insulin release brings glucose and amino acids into muscles and because of the very low fat intake in this meal there just isn't any fat to be stored.

In the fat meals insulin is not released, rather glucagon is raised and fat burning is kicked into gear. This heightened level of glucagon causes fatty acids to be burned for energy and because of this muscle glucose is preserved.

If you use this method to gain then you will minimize fat gain and maximize muscle gain, if you use it to lose than you will maximize fat loss and minimize muscle loss.

For those of you out there who have the very improbable goal of gaining muscle and losing fat, I think this would be your best bet.

What about this doesn't make sense?

Jane
10-12-2001, 02:20 PM
ok cack, youre right, it makes sense. maybe i was sleepy before or something, i dont know. thanks for reposting.
one question left, i promise: how much carbs is too much in a protein/fat meal and how much fat is too much in a protein/carb meal? Can you have, lets say, something like 4g of fat in a p/c meal, or is that too much? Maybe the size of the meal should be taken into account here. Lets say that you're consuming about 300 calories, and (4*9) that makes about 36 calories from fat. Too much?

And thanks to orange. This psat stuff is making me really nervous, and its important to me. I'll need that luck to get through the next week.

Alex.V
10-12-2001, 02:53 PM
Check yer PM's, girl.

Orange357
10-12-2001, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Jane
=

And thanks to orange. This psat stuff is making me really nervous, and its important to me. I'll need that luck to get through the next week.

dont get too worried about it.. youll do fine:)

Cackerot69
10-13-2001, 02:42 PM
Just try to keep it less than 10g of fat/carb in those meals. So, 40 protein, 30 fat, and 0-10 carb. Or, 40 pro, 60 carbs, and 0-10 fat.

Jane
10-13-2001, 06:05 PM
got it :thumbup:

ew i took a practice sat this morning. made too many stupid mistakes. dammit.