PDA

View Full Version : Experts Stress Post-Exercise Nutrition

geoffgarcia
04-18-2004, 05:55 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=541&e=15&u=/ap/fit_post_workout_meal

Two decades of research have shown that consuming carbs after a hard workout rebuilds worn muscles and primes the body for the next training. Failure to eat the right food after exercise or worse skipping the post-exercise meal altogether can harm your body.

Carbs the main source of energy during physical activity are stored as glycogen in muscle cells. During exercise, the glycogen reserves deplete and an intake of carbs is needed to replenish the body. Neglecting or avoiding the post-workout meal could result in muscle breakdown and leave your body feeling fatigued during the next workout.

In 2000, the American College of Sports Medicine, along with the American Dietetic Association and the Dietitians of Canada, reviewed numerous studies on the subject and took a stand on the issue. In a published joint position statement, they acknowledged the importance of post-game nutrition on athletic performance.

How much carbs should be eaten after exercise depends on the duration and intensity of the workout, as well as when the next training will occur. For example, a post-workout meal is generally more essential for a triathlete who runs in the morning and cycles in the afternoon than a marathoner who just runs one race. That's because the triathlete needs to refuel in between workouts while the marathoner has more time between runs to recover.

Experts recommend that carbs be eaten 30 minutes to an hour after vigorous exercise since that's when the body will act like a sponge and absorb the nutrients. Some post-workout snacks may include cooked pasta, rice, English muffin, oatmeal or low-fat yogurt.

Recent research shows that a combination of carbs and protein can also help the body recoup. Protein helps repair muscle damage, but carbs are king when it comes to replenishing carbohydrate stores. Eating too much protein after exercise is not good either because it can slow rehydration.

The general guideline is a carb intake of a half-gram per pound of body weight. So a 150-pound person should eat about 75 grams of carbs

galileo
04-18-2004, 07:19 PM
Thank God for the experts.

Saint Patrick
04-18-2004, 07:20 PM
Wow.

After 2 decades, these so-called "experts" discovered what we already know and practice.

JSully
04-18-2004, 07:23 PM
Wow.

After 2 decades, these so-called "experts" discovered what we already know and practice.

haha

I won't consume that much carbs after a workout because I feel as if its NOT replenishing my glycogen but its just going to my fat. I don't know why I feel that way, but i do.

Dedicated
04-18-2004, 07:24 PM
Reading this really makes me glad I finally ordered some dextrose hehe.