PDA

View Full Version : do you take into account the dietary fiber

J_C
04-19-2004, 12:52 AM
do you take into account the dietary fiber,

let say I have this food, that has 19 grams of carbs.... and 2 grams of dietary fiber ........do I count it as 19 or 19-2=17 when reaching my carbs goals

Shao-LiN
04-19-2004, 01:06 AM

Maxgain
04-19-2004, 05:48 AM
http://www.ib.be/cefs/dietaryfibre.htm

"Dietary fibre as an energy source

More in-depth knowledge in the field has changed our thinking about dietary fibre, especially regarding its caloric contribution. Dietary fibre was initially considered as non-caloric. However, while it is not digested in the small intestine, many indigestible carbohydrates are nevertheless later fermented to varying degrees by the bacteria in the large intestine. Fermentation results notably in the production of short-chain fatty acids. They provide, on the one hand, energy and carbon necessary for the maintenance and growth of the microflora. On the other hand, a proportion of these short-chain fatty acids is absorbed by colonic cells and provide some energy to these cells or, after transfer into the circulation, to body tissues.

Since colonic fermentation is less efficient than absorption in the small intestine, the carbohydrate reaching the colon provide about 8 KJ/g (2 Kcal/g the dietary fibre ingested is degraded in the colon."

This is the case for soluble fibre while insoluble fibre makes up much of the bulk egested

PiKappaWRX
04-19-2004, 09:19 AM
would you count sugar alcohols in the same way? like if a food has 30g of carbohydrates but 26g are sugar alcohols and 2 are from fiber. then does the food only have 2g of carbs?