PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on SPLENDA

pastdoubt
10-07-2001, 06:16 PM
Does anyone here use splenda besides me? I know you all know what it is, so what are you're thoughts? I love the stuff it tastes just like sugar to me, so there must be a catch... what is it?

syntekz
10-07-2001, 06:42 PM
I don't know what splenda is; what is it?

Adam
10-07-2001, 06:50 PM
Artifishal sweetener(sp?) MA

pastdoubt
10-07-2001, 06:50 PM
It's that sugar substitute made from real sugar... sucralose or something (i think)

MWB
10-08-2001, 04:44 AM
I use splenda all the time. The thing I like about it is that it doesn't lose it's sweetness when you heat it up. I've made some cool sweet and spicey marinades for steak and chicken with it. Also use it in my oats and if a protein powder doesnt tast that great I throw some splenda in.

Tryska
10-08-2001, 06:45 AM
well.....i'm favoring it over nutrasweet at the moment....but it's still sketchy IMO. they make it by adding peroxide or some ammonia or some craziness...not quite sure, but it's a wierd process. Gonna have to fall back on Chaos Theory here and state, any tweak of the natural order of things can produce random and unexpected results.

MWB
10-08-2001, 09:29 AM
I think they chlorinate the sugar molecule or something. I don't know, aspartame gave me headaches, whith splenda I feel fine. I'll keep using it untill I hear some convincing argument otherwise.

Tryska
10-08-2001, 09:36 AM
i think your right mwb - it is chlorine.

syntekz
10-08-2001, 09:39 AM
aspartame gave you headaches?

what were you eating/drinking that contained aspartame? if it was caffeinated drinks; the caffeine could of contributed to giving you headaches.

Tryska
10-08-2001, 09:44 AM
no...actually that's a standard allergic reaction.....same thing happens to me with Nutrasweet...Anytime i would take it, i would get headaches and dizzy spells....I remember when it first came out, they mailed everyone in my area these little gumballs sweetened with them...I think i was like 10 at the time.....and Umm...i had one, and wound up 3 hours later sick as a dog....headaches, dizziness, chills. It was deep. So I've never purposely used it again, per my Dad's orders.

Wizard
10-08-2001, 10:24 AM
If aspartame is so bad then I wouldn't be here now.I've consumed very big amounts of aspastame.The recommendation is to avoid using more than 60mg per day but I may have been using up to 500mg some times...
I've never tried Splenda though.. Does heat effect its sweetness?

Tryska
10-08-2001, 10:28 AM
no actually you can cook with splenda.

and we can take about your aspartame usage 30 or 40 years from now ;) . Seriously....I think for most of the population Nutrasweet doesn't cause problems, but for something Like 2% of us, it's bad news...I believe the correlation is if you can taste the aftertaste to Nutrasweet, then you might be sensitive to it. don't quote me on that though.

Wizard
10-08-2001, 10:34 AM
Ok.I don't taste the aftertaste though.Maybe that's good.