PDA

View Full Version : After workout: Shake or Snack??

Shark
04-20-2004, 03:41 PM
I have always had a post work out protein shake but am wondering if it would be ok to have some cottage cheese instead. I know that cottage cheese is absorbed slower but I am not really sure how much or even if it would make a difference. Any thoughts? I would like to do the cottage cheese but if sticking with the protein shake is the way to go I will just stick with it.

Holto
04-20-2004, 03:49 PM
the most important thing IMO is carbs

either way solid VS liquid will not make a huge difference

a shake is so easy and cheap I can't see any reason to not use one

Shark
04-20-2004, 03:53 PM
When you say carbs, you mean having them there or lack of carbs? I have always had a post workout shake of protein with water.. very little carbs. Is that not the way to go?

ryuage
04-20-2004, 04:03 PM
it is debatable whether a shake is really necessary after a workout... but on another note no that is not the way to go... you want to replenish glycogen after a workout therefor you would want carbs post workout.

Shark
04-20-2004, 04:05 PM
Any idea how many I should be taking in? 6'3" 230 pounds?

Jfresh
04-20-2004, 04:06 PM
i heard that you should ingest your protein/ carb by 1 hour after a workout. the carbs are needed to spike insulin levels and then cause the body to absorb all the nutrients ie protein into the muscles. that is my take on human anatomy

Dedicated
04-20-2004, 04:10 PM
Any idea how many I should be taking in? 6'3" 230 pounds?
Half your bodyweight is the standard. So 115 grams. Easiest way to do this is to order some dextrose or maltodextrin, both are extemely inexpensive.

Shark
04-20-2004, 04:20 PM
You have got to be kidding me.. i need to take in 400 calories worth of carbs post workout??

Jfresh
04-20-2004, 04:28 PM
it is recommended i believe coming from milos sarcev 60-80 grams of dextrose in a post workout shake.

Allyrulez
04-20-2004, 04:37 PM
On my tub of Massive Whey it advises to take 50grams of High Gi carbs to optimise protein uptake

And as they arent trying to plug any typa carbs maybe its legit

Holto
04-21-2004, 12:46 PM
You have got to be kidding me.. i need to take in 400 calories worth of carbs post workout??

I'd say most people burn 500 cals in a workout

it makes sense to put those cals right back in the bank

after the carb shake take a 20-25g protien shake = 100 cals and WHAM 500 cals invested right back in your body

NormalDude
04-21-2004, 12:58 PM
Now is there a difference when your cutting or bulking or should the intake a any workout be the same?

Shark
04-21-2004, 07:04 PM
Yeah, that's what i want to know also. Since i'm going to be cutting soon I don't want to put back all the calories i just bruned off.

Alke
04-21-2004, 07:17 PM
whether I am cutting or bulking I always eat a whey protein bar and a bagel after my workout = fast acting protein and high glycemic index carb to get nutrients back into the body for optimal growth.

This is especially important during the cut, since your already low on calories, so you need a good post workout meal. It is also a good idea to eat a solid meal of Tuna, chicken, or ground beef plus a green veggie and lower glycemic carb (oats, yams, or whole wheat bread) for a supper type meal later after working out. and then a slower digesting protein (cotttage cheese or tuna, or soy/casein protein bar) before going to sleep.

Dedicated
04-21-2004, 07:20 PM
Yeah, that's what i want to know also. Since i'm going to be cutting soon I don't want to put back all the calories i just bruned off.

I read in another post that...
cutting = 2.5 grams of dextrose for every 10lbs of bodyweight, which is basically 1/4 your bodyweight.
bulking = 5 grams of dextrose for every 10lbs of bodyweight, which is basically 1/2 your bodyweight.

It helps postworkout, that much is known for certain, because after a workout for up to 2 hours your body can deliver glucose to the cells or something at a much faste rate. After that 2 hour window it's too late to get that same effect. I read an article on it a while ago.

drew
04-22-2004, 03:44 PM
Since everything else was covered, I'll go with the short answer:

Put cottage cheese (or cassein protein) in your post-wo shake. Problem solved.

Shao-LiN
04-22-2004, 04:35 PM
When you're cutting, I'd drop the carbs back a bit. But I wouldn't be overly worried about "putting back the calories you just burned off". The times surrounding your workout are when your body is most anabolic. Although you do burn calories while weight-lifting, that isn't really the goal of the lifting session.

jimlynch11
04-22-2004, 06:28 PM
Since everything else was covered, I'll go with the short answer:

Put cottage cheese (or cassein protein) in your post-wo shake. Problem solved.

Does cottage cheese have alot of dextrose?

PiKappaWRX
04-22-2004, 08:07 PM
no cottage cheese doesn't have dextrose. dextrose is a simple sugar that has a high glycemic index so it is effective in spiking insulin levels post-workout when your glycogen stores have been depleted. and for how much dextrose to take, just basically what dedicated said.

2.5g per pound of LBM when cutting and 5g per pound of LBM when bulking.

determine LBM by finding out your bf% and then subracting it in pounds from your total body weight. and yes, LBM does include bones, water weight, etc.

Exnor
04-23-2004, 04:26 AM
I always drink a weight-gainer shake at my gyms bar a few minutes post workout. It includes carbs, protein, and some fat.

Approx 20 mins post workout I consume 3-4 slices of wholemeal bread with lots of water.

Approx 1-1.5 hours post workout I consume a full meal (meat/poulty, pasta, vegtables).

jimlynch11
04-23-2004, 09:17 AM
no cottage cheese doesn't have dextrose. dextrose is a simple sugar that has a high glycemic index so it is effective in spiking insulin levels post-workout when your glycogen stores have been depleted. and for how much dextrose to take, just basically what dedicated said.

2.5g per pound of LBM when cutting and 5g per pound of LBM when bulking.

determine LBM by finding out your bf% and then subracting it in pounds from your total body weight. and yes, LBM does include bones, water weight, etc.

What are some foods with a high glycemic index? I'd rather not purchase another supp, if possible. Thanks!

ryuage
04-23-2004, 09:58 AM
white bread, potatoes, sugary cereal just to name a few.

jimlynch11
04-23-2004, 10:26 AM
white bread, potatoes, sugary cereal just to name a few.

Gatorade?

ryuage
04-23-2004, 10:27 AM
he said food !

PiKappaWRX
04-23-2004, 12:52 PM
ryu - the same person who asked about GI foods (jimlynch11) mentioned gatorade, lol.

jimlynch11 - high GI foods are basically anything high in sugars and not in fiber. so white bread, white rice, potatoes, fruits, and sports drinks i.e. gatorade, milk. and any fiberous carbohydrate i.e. veggies, wheat bread, brown rice has a lower GI.