PDA

View Full Version : EATING IN COLLEGE :: for those in college help!

abc1234
04-20-2004, 05:34 PM
Whats up. I was wondering to those who are in college now. How are you guys gettin ur calories. For me I need about 3000 calorie intake and its hard to get the foods I want from the dining halls without touching those sugary foods. What are you guys eating for breakfast / lunch / dinner. I just try to get some pancakes / cereal / eggs / milk for breakfast lunch pretty much just tuna / sandwich / chicken and dinner maybe some chicken again / pasta / sandwich and of course I eat an apple at every meal. I see all these big a$$ people who eat like nothing and sometimes I wonder - probably just their darn metabolism

alterego
04-20-2004, 05:41 PM
If you want to eat clean, then you're going to have to make your own food. Chicken breasts and lean beef is ideal.

cordes
04-20-2004, 05:57 PM
I would go out to your local super center, and pick up some oat meal. It is cheap enough for this poor college student, and easy to make in your room with a microwave. If you can get away with it, a rice cooker can be great to have in the dorms. You couls also pick up some sweet potatoes. Basically, just buy what you dont get in the caf.

kingmetal
04-20-2004, 06:41 PM
The only thing I get in the cafeteria is salad bar- and I grab a "to-go" box and fill it with chicken and cottage cheese- cheap ass protein bomb! Like the guys suggested, I buy chicken breasts in bulk and cook them saturday/sunday and then make chicken sandwiches for the week to bring with me to make sure I get my 6 meals in.
The garbage in the cafeteria is the devil.

alterego
04-20-2004, 07:03 PM
What I learned over my years in school is that cafeteria has processed junk. You'd think if something isn't that good, it would at least be healthy for you. I know. It's sad.

SpecialK
04-20-2004, 10:37 PM
Our dining halls are all you can eat, which is a plus if you're lifting trying to gain weight and know the right stuff to eat. Unfortunately they usually don't have a huge selection of what would be considered "good" food for BB'ers. A few meals per week they will have something like grilled chicken or tuna, which is ideal, but if not my fall back meals are turkey sandwiches (with a ton of turkey on them) or sometimes chicken tacos. Then I'll also include a salad, rice or potato, and 2 glasses of milk with that. I have 2 meals per day at the dining hall, so for breakfast lately I been having an MRP with skim milk and a banana. I also have one serving of whey in the middle of the afternoon, PWO, and later at night before I go to bed. It's hard to be precise with calories, grams of protein and such when your eating there, but my metabolism is pretty fast and I have been making good gains (all muscle, no fat) by just eating a lot of clean food.

Darcy Tucker
04-20-2004, 11:55 PM
Here's what I do. I have 3 foundation meals. These are 2 cups of homo milk, 1/3 cup of oat bran/1 scoop of whey/1 scoop of rice crispies/2 tbsp of natty peanut butter/banana mixed in a blender.

Three of those are almost 3000 calories. Have 3 well balanced meals on top of that and you are all set.

Crystallio
04-21-2004, 12:39 AM
Lots of milk for me, usually with some chocolate NesQuik. Breakfast is usually a bowl of cereal, a glass of chocolate milk, and my vitamins and fish oil. Lunch is a chicken burrito or protein smoothie (3 cups of 2% milk, 2 bananas, 1 scoop ALN vanilla powder, 1 tablespoon chocolate NesQuik). Dinner varies, generally chicken, eggs, or occasionally pizza. I'll usually have a second protein smoothie at some point in the day and a couple glasses of chocolate milk spread around, too.

wrestlemaniac
04-21-2004, 01:00 AM
Milk is always good. I drink tons of this stuff. I probably shouldn't though, since I'm allergic.

Allyrulez
04-21-2004, 07:13 AM
I just take a tupperware carton full of tuna and stuff, just eat out of it with a fork

Thou ive blended tuna/milk/protein powder/nutrients and just drunk it during college... Just take a big bottle and shake it when you want some, tastes like crap thou

abc1234
04-21-2004, 07:43 AM
thanks guys great ideas

also sorry i didnt notice the diet / nut forum :(

Shark
04-21-2004, 11:49 AM
You know I never had a problem bulking off of dining hall food. I would tear up eggs for breakfast with some weat toast. If I hit lunch I would have a whole weat bread turkey sandwich with a lot of turkey, some swiss cheese, and mayo. Then for dinner, I would get either pasta with meat sauce and some grilled chicken or I would do hamburger. Occasionally i would cheat with Macaroni & Cheese. Oh man, that was the best. Also you can have all the rice you want. Sounds good to me.

cphafner
04-21-2004, 01:52 PM
When I was in college the foreman was my best friend. If you have a freezer, you can get some cheap chix or beef. Otherwise oatmeal, bagels, tuna, and protein powders are all good choices.

dkogq
04-22-2004, 09:09 AM
I have the same problem.
best, cheapest way to eat is:
Protein powder - for the money cheaper than tuna, chicken, etc
Oatmeal - carbs, clean, cheap
Tuna, eggs, milk - protein
Peanut butter - good fat, protein. Get one as natural as possible.
Pasta - After lifting.
MRP - a good, tasty, mrp is cheap per meal. Maybe 1.50-2.00 per MRP which is like two dollars per meal.
Honestly, pizza once a week cheap and ok. How can you go to school without ordering pizza on a fri or sat night.

jimlynch11
04-22-2004, 09:33 AM
My biggest challenge while at school hasn't been the food so much as it has been avoiding the alcohol as much as possible. Seriously, a day doesn't pass where at least a few of my friends are partying, and I have trouble not drinking more than 2 nights a week - this much alone is a complete diet and training killer.

As for food, it's alot easier this year now that I've got an apartment with a kitchen. I haven't eaten on campus once this year. When I had to in the past, I supplemented my diet with protein shakes, had a white egg omelette from the caf for breakfast everyday, cottage cheese from the salad bar as a snack, sub from Subway on campus for lunch (this was during a bulking stage when carbs didn't matter so much, but now they have low-carb options anyway) and chicken breast for dinner. The toughest thing is getting them to pin down any sort of nutrition information on the content of what they're serving, so what I usually did was make my best estimate, and then tack on 10% more because it's probably far worse than you think.

dkogq
04-22-2004, 11:35 PM
yeah alchohol is the devil but mental happiness is more important than most things. if u dont party in college you might as well live at home with your parents.

hooligan_media
04-23-2004, 05:06 AM
yea man, george forman griller and seasoning and maybe a small deep fryer if your southern like me... gotta have the fried fish. then weight gainer, get some cheap weight gainer thats just packed for the days ur busy with hot college ladies.