PDA

View Full Version : HIIT feels anaerobic?

phatmonky
04-20-2004, 10:56 PM
Well, I just started HIIT, and MAN what an amazingly better feeling than just long distance jogging.
However, just a quick question - I'm working my way up to a 15 minute 30sprint/30rest routine. I'm only doing 10 minutes of this right now, and around the 7th minute I really start feeling like my legs are getting a workout (not just aerobic). Is this normal? Should I be concerned about this soreness, as well as soreness after doing my leg day?

PYROTAK
04-20-2004, 11:03 PM
HIIT is supposed to be anerobic.....

and the ratio is supposed to be like 6/9.

and i doubt you can do a 100% sprint for 30 secs, thats like over 250 meters, unless of course you are a super sprinter like that

phatmonky
04-20-2004, 11:13 PM

and i doubt you can do a 100% sprint for 30 secs, thats like over 250 meters, unless of course you are a super sprinter like that

Well now I know :)

From my readings, there isn't a "supposed to be" yet? If I'm mistaken, I'd very much appreciate a link to something that explains why 6/9 is optimal. Been trying to find something like that.

PYROTAK
04-20-2004, 11:40 PM
its in the sticky, there are two hiit threads where i got this information from.

aka23
04-21-2004, 01:33 PM

The ratio does not have to be 6/9, and it does not have to be a 100% sprint. The most frequently quoted study about HIIT is probably Tremblay's study, which is described at http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/HIITvsET.html . The HIIT group had excellent results by doing two types of intervals -- 15 seconds increasing to 30 seconds at the end of the study and 60 seconds increasing to 90 seconds at the end of the study. Note that many people draw incorrect conclusions from this study. I may address this later.

The 6/9 study you are referring to is described at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=10502077. It was not done at 100% and was likely not even done at an intensity high enough to be called HIIT. It says the 6/9 intervals were done for 40 minutes. That is 160 sequential intervals. I doubt that the subjects, who were probably not athletes, would be able to do high intensity intervals for such a long period. The study mentions an average intensity of 65% peak aerobic power (Vo2max). Other HIIT studies, such as Tabata's, involve work at intensities of as much as 200% Vo2max intensity. I would not consider a work period to be HIIT unless it reaches at least 100% of Vo2max intensity. A 6/9 interval toggling between 100% Vo2max and 50% Vo2max would have a mean peak aerobic power above the numbers found in the study. I would expect a HIIT type workout to have a mean peak aerobic power far above the numbers in the study. Furthermore HIIT is not just about fat burned during the activity, as is analyzed in the study. If one wanted to maximize fat burned during activity, then he would choose a more traditional aerobic type of cardio.

Alke
04-21-2004, 01:39 PM
heh, I love reading your replies aka, sometimes you make my head hurt LOL

I will be doing the HIIT soon, lot of good stuff on it.

gino
04-21-2004, 01:54 PM
Well, I just started HIIT, and MAN what an amazingly better feeling than just long distance jogging.
However, just a quick question - I'm working my way up to a 15 minute 30sprint/30rest routine. I'm only doing 10 minutes of this right now, and around the 7th minute I really start feeling like my legs are getting a workout (not just aerobic). Is this normal? Should I be concerned about this soreness, as well as soreness after doing my leg day?

I feel extremely "pumped" after a sprint workout - the legs are full of blood and I'm waddling like I just did 10 sets of squats. Expect to be sore, just like after leg day.

ryuage
04-21-2004, 04:39 PM
hiit is a great feeling, dont rush into it and start off on the low end of things.