PDA

View Full Version : Fruit / Veggies

ecliptic
04-21-2004, 09:07 AM
Hey guys, just wondering about how many servings per day of fruit/veggies you eat?

The reason I ask is because right now I maintain a 40%/30%/30% intake of protein/carbs/fats, and I think I am concentrating on that way too much and ignoring fruits and veggies. The main importance of these is what exactly? I know they are full of vitamins, and some have a good amount of fiber, so maybe thats it. But, if I see a good reason to add fruits/veggies into my diet (which I should..) then I definitely will. But please list your serving amounts please :) Thanks! :thumbup:

ryuage
04-21-2004, 10:08 AM
usually have a serving of vegetables or fruit with each of my meals.

prof
04-21-2004, 10:24 AM
add them in, try to get as wide a variety of foods as possible, you can still hit the same macros with lots of fruit and veg in your diet

geoffgarcia
04-21-2004, 10:29 AM
veggies are good like you said for vitamins/minerals + fiber...

galileo
04-21-2004, 10:34 AM
3 fruit and 3-4 vegetables a day is commonplace for me. I make selections to try to attain a certain mix of phytonutrients as I see them as essential.

Anthony
04-21-2004, 10:38 AM
I have fruits and/or vegetables at every meal (at least I try). Mostly vegetables, though. Fruit is usually a morning thing for me.

ecliptic
04-21-2004, 11:09 AM
Fruit in the morning sounds good, I'll probably have to wake up earlier to eat it. DOH!.. im about to go home for lunch, might make a salad with my tuna sandwich. Thanks for the responses guys!

aka23
04-21-2004, 12:00 PM
The main importance of these is what exactly? I know they are full of vitamins, and some have a good amount of fiber, so maybe thats it. But, if I see a good reason to add fruits/veggies into my diet (which I should..) then I definitely will. But please list your serving amounts please :) Thanks! :thumbup:

Many vegetables and fruit contain a good amount of vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, antioxidants, cartenoids, flavones, fructooligosaccharides, fiber, etc. Many of these compounds are difficult to find in other food groups.

But please list your serving amounts please :) Thanks! :thumbup:

When I eat vegetables, I typically eat the entire 10oz package in one serving. However, the nutritional label says 3oz is a serving. I will use smaller, nutritional label/USDA serving sizes in my list of average servings per day.

Fruits - 4 servings / day
Non-starchy Vegetables - 8 servings / day
Beans/Legumes - 5 servings / day

AllUp
04-21-2004, 12:05 PM
Many vegetables and fruit contain a good amount of vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, antioxidants, cartenoids, flavones, fructooligosaccharides, fiber, etc. Many of these compounds are difficult to find in other food groups.

:thumbup:
Everything summed up in 2-3 lines. :o

ecliptic
04-21-2004, 12:20 PM
Awesome... yeah I definitely need to increase my intake of fruits/vegetables, thats for damn sure. I like them I just dont usually buy them, so I will from now on. Thanks!

Holto
04-21-2004, 12:27 PM
Veggies:

1 salad @ 4 cups = 8 servings
+ 1 heaping teaspoon of a green drink = 2 servings

1 smoothie = 3-4 servings of fruit