PDA

View Full Version : Why Am I Not Losing More Weight?

rakrecak
04-21-2004, 01:01 PM
Hello everyone. I was wondering if you could give me some help with the situation that I'm in, because I'm starting to get frustrated with the progress in my cut so far. First off, let me give you a little information about myself. I'm 21 years old, about 195 pounds, 6'0", and I would guess that my body fat is somewhere in the range of 12-14%. I am taking a multivitamin, vitamin b, vitamin c, green tea, and 10 grams of glutamine each day.

I just recently started studying abroad in Madrid, Spain, and I gained about 15 pounds from when I came here in 2 months. I decided that I had too much bodyfat, and about 3 weeks ago I started a cut. Right now I'm consuming 2,400 calories each day. According to the formulas that I've found on this forum, my BMR is about 2,050 calories (but I had an expensive machine take this at a gym at home, and it said that my BMR is 2,200 calories). If I multiply 2,200 by 1.4 (because I lift 4 days a week and I'm active), that gives me a maintainence level of about 3,100 calories. According to my calculations, I should be losing at least 1 pound a week. I am taking 2 consecutive refeed days on the weekend (because I drink, I'm human), but on those days I'm trying to take in no more than 4,000 calories. I know that alcohol inhibits protein uptake, but I want to enjoy life here, so I am not willing to completely give up drinking alcohol.

I haven't seen a physical difference in my appearance, and my scale (although it is not what I would consider extremely accurate because it's a $25 bathroom model) says that I have only lost 2 pounds. I always weigh myself in the morning after going to the bathroom at the same time, so I can eliminate general weight fluctuations from the equation. My question is...why am I not losing more weight?

My diet is very clean, and the only time that I consume anything unhealthy is on the weekend when I have my refeed days. I can't say exactly what the macro split is because I don't know the nutrition information for every single thing that I eat, but I do know that I am taking in at least 200 grams of protein each day (typically 225-250). I have not noticed a drop in any of my lifts at all. On the contrary, I seem to be getting stronger because my lifts seem to be getting easier each week. I have actually gotten a lot stronger since coming here and bulking, and I set a personal record this week in bench press (3 weeks after starting dieting).

I'm gonna take several stabs as to what is going on in my situation, and I would really appreciate it if I could get some feedback as to what you think is happening. The first thing that I can think of is that the scale is not accurate, and that I might have lost 3 or even 4 pounds.

The next thing that I can think of is that my refeed days might contain too many calories. I have read some conflicting information about refeed days, and I was hoping that some of you could clear this up. I have heard that you should consume anywhere between 1.2 and 2 times your maintainence level of calories on your refeed days. Well, that is a huge range, so if someone could give me some more concrete information or a small range, that would be extremely helpful.

The last thing that I will consider is that I am actually losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time. I have heard time and time over that this is not very common, especially for those who have been lifting for a long time (I have been lifting for 7 years).

I would just like to pose one more question that I need a little clarification on. What do you think is the shortest cut cycle that you should attempt? How long does it usually take YOU to see results when you start a cut?

I'm sorry about the length of this post, but I just wanted to give a thorough understanding of my situation so that you can give me the best advice possible. I'm open to all thoughts and comments. Thanks for your time!

geoffgarcia
04-21-2004, 01:15 PM
it is possible to lose fat and gain muscle...
here is a perfect example of someone that was questioning why his weight wasn't changing...turns out his body was changing...but without the proper tools to know, its anybodys guess whats going on with you...stick with it for 2 months and see what happens

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=44677

Shao-LiN
04-21-2004, 01:17 PM
If you're not losing weight, drop calories down a bit until you are. Calculations are just estimates, they aren't the bible. What really matters is how your body responds. If you aren't losing weight, drop calories a bit until you are. If the goal is to bulk and you aren't gaining, up them until you are.

In any event, I usually dedicate at least 6-8 weeks for a cutting cycle and evaluate my body composition from there.