PDA

View Full Version : How to Bulk

Ron
04-21-2004, 03:04 PM
Hi Group,

For the last several months now, Iíve been cutting and have attained results Iím really happy with. Iím 5í10 and 155 lbs with a BF% of 5%. All the talk in these forums about bulking has got me thinking, since this is something Iíve never really tried before. Iíd like to add 20lbs of lean muscle over time. Thatís my goal. I have no idea how to do this or even where to begin. Letís say, for the sake of example, that I need 1800 calories per day to maintain my current level of fitness. If this is the case, then by how much do I have to increase my daily caloric intake to achieve this goal? My thinking is that the body can only utilize a certain percentage of these excess calories, and everything else it doesnít need will be converted and stored as fat. How do you bulk while keeping your BF% in check? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Ron.

carlossalsa8
04-21-2004, 03:34 PM
from wut Ive read people at this forum said that in order to bulk you should multiply your weight by 18. 155x18=2790 cals to bulk. Did yu do lots of cardio to get down to 5%? diet? If you wanna bulk and add 20 pounds of lean mass, and still maintain the 5% bf, it could be possible, but you will still get bit of fat while bulking. Eat,Eat, and Eat clean and you will just be fine. Hoo and keep doing cardio. Ive never bulked before but I eat a lot. And it is good to eat a lot and not get fat. I do lots of cardio so I think if you bulk and are afraid of the bf% go up just keep doing cardio and add more calories to your diet.

EdgarMex
04-21-2004, 03:40 PM
you can also start adding about 200-300 cals per day every week until you are gaining 0.5-1 lb per week

Anthony
04-21-2004, 04:29 PM
I doubt your maintenance is 1800 calories. Fill this out and add 500: http://www.johnberardi.com/updates/july262002/na_masscalculator.htm

Ron
04-21-2004, 04:35 PM
Did yu do lots of cardio to get down to 5%? diet? Yes, I did do a lot of cardio to get down to 5%: six days a week, running two days @ 6 mph, walking the next. Each cardio session is an hour in length. I started to plateau around 8% and started losing a lot of muscle as I brought it down from here. I added 3 ECA stacks a day which really really helped me bring it down further. To be honest, it's not that attractive. I even have veins on my lower abs! lol.

ryuage
04-21-2004, 04:43 PM
I doubt your maintenance is 1800 calories. Fill this out and add 500: http://www.johnberardi.com/updates/july262002/na_masscalculator.htm

have you found this to be fairly accurate anthony?

Anthony
04-21-2004, 05:00 PM
Yeah, it's obviously not exact, but gives you a range to work with. There are various formulas on the net, but this one is easy and takes a lot of other things into consideration (TEF, etc).

ryuage
04-21-2004, 05:04 PM
it says i need like 4500 + calories! I find john berardis calculations to be pretty high.

Anthony
04-21-2004, 05:07 PM
How many are you eating now and are you gaining on a consistent basis?

carlossalsa8
04-21-2004, 05:10 PM
Yes, I did do a lot of cardio to get down to 5%: six days a week, running two days @ 6 mph, walking the next. Each cardio session is an hour in length. I started to plateau around 8% and started losing a lot of muscle as I brought it down from here. I added 3 ECA stacks a day which really really helped me bring it down further. To be honest, it's not that attractive. I even have veins on my lower abs! lol.

You will get huge if u start bulking man. At 5% bulking, you will look man. Last time I measure mine it was 9%. I am soccer player and run more than an hour at a high intensity and low intensity. 6 Days a week except saurdays. I have lost 5 pounds since I started to eat better. That is a lot for me. I have to eat moreeeeeee. Anyways, did you diet?

ryuage
04-21-2004, 05:12 PM
im gaining on about 3200 calories ive been bulking for 6 weeks and have gained every week, I mean I do perform cardio 5x a week 3 being long medium to low intensity, 1 hitt runnin session, and 1 high intensity running session.. i wonder myself how im gaining ... weight now i 169

Anthony
04-21-2004, 05:53 PM
You're running 5 times a week, training with weights 3+ (??), and gaining off 3200? Well, I'm confused, but if it's working, stick with it. :D

ryuage
04-21-2004, 05:54 PM
im confused myself, but i would relate some of it to muscle memory " at least I hope "

if you look at aka he seems to be gaining on low amount of calories too for his activity level running practically every day and being as lean as he is.

Alke
04-21-2004, 06:28 PM
no confusion, your eating properly if your gaining.

as long as you get your fuel (carbs) from lower glycemic sources (oats, yams, beans, whole breads, green veggies) you will reap the benefits.