PDA

View Full Version : define "eat clean"

prof
04-22-2004, 03:35 AM
I hear you all say "I'm on a clean bulk" or "keep it clean" etc

now i have been washing all my food in Dettol for weeks now, and it's totally spotless but apart from burping soap bubbles i don't seem to have made any progress....................

Seriously, what do you consider clean? and what's "dirty food"

I'm guessing McDoalds and snickers falls into the dirty category but I'm interested to get a few more opinions on this

Dedicated
04-22-2004, 07:57 AM
My definition of eating clean is to eat so I can reach my calorie and macronutrient goals for the day. Usually the only way to do this without going over my caloric goal is to eat foods that are considered "healthy" like tuna, chicken, rice, etc.

geoffgarcia
04-22-2004, 08:45 AM
I consider clean to be counting everything that goes in your body with the use of scales/measuring cups etc, and tracking it all and making sure you stick with your goals.
Making sure you have good amounts of fat, EFAs, fiber, protein
while being low on processed foods, saturated fats and alcohol

TheGimp
04-22-2004, 08:56 AM
I personally would say eating clean is about eating the right types of food, not amount. Eating "whole" foods like whole grains, nuts, fruits and veggies, meat, fish, dairy, beans, etc. and avoiding processed foods like white bread, ready meals, sweets, soda etc. Low saturated fat and sodium.

For instance occassionally I eat things like standard store bought pizza (as opposed to some kind of healthier concoction of my own devising) or chocolate, provided it fits into my daily calorie limits. I would say this is eating unclean, but acceptable as it is accounted for and not done on a regular basis.

Relentless
04-22-2004, 09:08 AM
to me, eating clean is to eliminate from your diet:

- refined sugar
- wheat/white rice
- saturated fats
- alcohol
- processed foods

and also to use intelligent decisionmaking in breaking down your food choices and macros...

Minotaur
04-22-2004, 10:33 AM
Yeah, what they all said. :withstupi

AllUp
04-22-2004, 10:42 AM
as opposed to some kind of healthier concoction of my own devising
Exactly. You know that s***'s clean if you make it yourself. :p

Shao-LiN
04-22-2004, 11:16 AM
Tracking calories and right amounts is micro-management of food to me. Eating clean refers to the types of food that you do eat. Like eating lean beef or chicken as opposed to that large slice of pizza over there.

The pizza is staring at me.... :windup:

It won't leave me alone :(

prof
04-23-2004, 05:00 AM
eat the pizza

hooligan_media
04-23-2004, 05:10 AM
you are what u eat man.

gopher
04-24-2004, 02:40 AM

- refined sugar
- wheat/white rice
- saturated fats
- alcohol
- processed foods

and also to use intelligent decisionmaking in breaking down your food choices and macros...
Exactly! Lightly seasoned grilled chicken breast, dry baked potato, and steamed veggies is eating clean.
BBQ sauce on the chicken, sour cream on the potato and butter on the veggies is not eating clean.

ogarchamplin
04-25-2004, 08:27 PM
Exactly! Lightly seasoned grilled chicken breast, dry baked potato, and steamed veggies is eating clean.
BBQ sauce on the chicken, sour cream on the potato and butter on the veggies is not eating clean.

Mrs. Dash is a great seasoning for chicken and meats

WaterWalker
04-26-2004, 12:54 AM

- refined sugar
- wheat/white rice
- saturated fats
- alcohol
- processed foods

What did you mean by wheat? Wheat rice? I eat whole wheats and I do not see a problem with it.

Shark
04-26-2004, 11:43 AM

- refined sugar
- wheat/white rice
- saturated fats
- alcohol
- processed foods

Very well put.

Holto
04-26-2004, 12:09 PM
I'd say totals and macronutrient ratios have nothing to do with eating clean

you could eat processed garbage all day and hit your numbers if you're good at crunching numbers

I like what Sam Graci said in the Food Connection

your body makes 100,000 cells every day

and it makes them from whatever you ate that day, so ask yourself when you are lookign at eating something "do I wan't this to become part of my body"

- bady paraphrased

I'd rather be built from organic produce, EFAs and quality protein