PDA

View Full Version : what a bodybuilder eats...

Alke
04-22-2004, 05:58 PM
a lot of people are asking how to eat, and when I first joined this place, that was pretty much my main question as well.

Someone posted a list and I printed it and it is still on the inside of my kitchen cabinet door, thought I would post an edited version for the next new guy :)

1-2 Gallons of Water a day

Protein

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
Tuna (water packed)
Fish (salmon, seabass, halibut, sushi, mahi mahi, Orange roughi, tilapia, Sardines)
Shrimp
Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%)
Venison
Buffalo
Ostrich
Protein Powder (Whey, Casein, Soy, Egg)
Eggs
Low or Non-Fat Cottage cheese, Ricotta
Low fat or Non fat Yogurt
Ribeye Steaks or Roast
Top Round Steaks or Roast (stew meat, London broil, Stir fry)
Top Sirloin (Sirloin Top Butt)
Beef Tenderloin (filet mignon)
Top Loin (NY Strip Steak)
Flank Steak (Stir Fry, Fajitas)
Eye of Round (Cube meat, Stew meat, Bottom Round)
Ground Turkey, Turkey Breast slices or cutlets (*no deli or sandwich meats)

Complex Carbs (nothing enriched, bleached or processed if possible)

Oatmeal (Old fashioned, Quick oats, Irish steal cut)
Sweet Potatoes, Yams
Beans (Black eyed, Pinto, Red, Kidney, Black)
Oat Bran Cereal, Grape nuts, Rye cereal, Multi grain hot cereal
Farin (Cream of wheat)
Whole Wheat frozen Bagels, Pitas
Whole wheat or Spinach Pasta, Whey Pasta
Rice (Brown, white, jasmin, basmiti, arborio, wild)
Potatoes (red, white, baking)

Fibrous Carbs

Green Leafy lettuce (red, green, romaine)
Broccoli
Asparagus
String Beans
Spinach
Bell Pepers (Green or Red)
Brussels Sprouts
Cauliflower
Cabbage
Celery
Cucumber
Carrots
Eggplant
Onions
Pumpkin
Garlic
Tomatoes
Zucchini

Fruit (If acceptable on diet)
bananas, oranges, apples, grapefruit, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, lemons or limes

Healthy Fats

Natural Style Peanut Butter
Olive oil, Safflower oil
Flaxseed oil
Fish Oil
Nuts (peanuts, almonds, walnuts)

Dairy

Eggs
Low of Non-Fat cottage cheese, Ricotta
Low or non-fat milk
Low fat or non-fat yogurt

Condiments & Spices

Diet Soda
Crystal light
Fat free mayonaise
Reduced sodium Soy Sauce
Reduced sodium Teriyaki Sauce
balsamic Vinegar
Salsa, Jalepenos
Hot peppers and Hot sauce, Cayanne pepper
Chili powder and Chili paste
Mrs. Dash
Steak Sauce
Sugar free Maple Syrup
Mustard
Extracts (vanilla, almond, etc)
Low sodium beef or chicken Broth
Plain or reduced sodium tomatoe sauce or paste

For calories in each food go to http://www.fitday.com

Calorie Counting Formulas:
Mesomorphs: bodyweight x 15
Ectomorphs: bodyweight x 16-17
Endomorphs: bodyweight x 13-14

To start a cut: subtract 500 from total calories, to maintain cut: subtract 200-300 from total calories depending on weight lost each week. If this the first time you are cutting, I would recommend reading the short article posted by St.P. (see attachment below)

To start a bulk: add 500 to total calories, to maintain bulk: add 200-300 to total calories depending on weight gained each week

here is an e-book to how to cook like a bodybuilder from strengthcats.com Body Building Recipes (http://stu.aii.edu/~kpb361/bodybuildingrecipes.pdf)

Here is a great article from AtLarge Nutrition on Training and Eating for Mass (http://www.atlargenutrition.com/gainingmass.php). Be sure to spend a little time and also read the other articles on this board for nutrition and training!

-Booyah Baby!

ryuage
04-22-2004, 06:02 PM
sticky!

Wu36
04-22-2004, 07:32 PM
the whole grocery list thread should be a sticky. good stuff.

wleon
04-23-2004, 10:53 AM
yes I second sticky.... I saw it before and I lost it ... this is good stuff

Saint Patrick
04-23-2004, 01:17 PM
Why is Bottled Water listed under "Dairy and Eggs" :confused:

ryuage
04-23-2004, 01:23 PM
:withstupi

haha didnt notice that! just get a water filter or brita no need to "buy" water in the first place.

ElPietro
04-23-2004, 01:43 PM
Good list. I sticky for now.

ElPietro
04-23-2004, 01:44 PM
Oh and what would be good would be to continue building this list, adding the food items in the appropriate categories and maintain one master list. Kenn, you have officially been voluntold. :)

Alke
04-23-2004, 03:23 PM
heh, not a problem. We SHOULD have a master grocery list, good idea. So, if anyone eats something not on the list, go for it!

I dont know why water is in dairy I just copied it as I saw it a long time ago......

Dedicated
04-24-2004, 02:49 PM
I did not see Whole Wheat Bread on the list, add that if you think it's worthy hehe. I find this useful as it's easy to make, and it's easy to eat on the go, like for lunch etc.

PiKappaWRX
04-24-2004, 03:14 PM
definately sticky material, just needs a couple of edits.

Alke
04-26-2004, 06:45 PM
edited to include everything I could think of...........

I also included the standard formulas for cutting/bulking, any more ideas or foods to be listed, post away and I will get them in there :)

PiKappaWRX
04-27-2004, 09:38 AM
i always thought of cutting and bulking as 12*BW for cutting, 15*bw for maintenance, and 18*bw for bulking. but then again i never factored in body types, so your way is probably more accurate. this thread is gonna be the stick of all stickies in time...

HobbesAB
04-28-2004, 11:15 AM
Most of this list has alreadey been included, but you can recheck it if you like. I will try later when I have more time.

Another thread with food suggestions (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=37402&highlight=diet)

Focused70
05-16-2004, 12:04 PM
Don't forget soy milk.

1/4 of my daily protein intake comes from soy milk or other soy protein, due to me being mildly lactose intolerant. I'm sure there are other people like me out there.

Soba

StarLeague
05-18-2004, 09:10 AM
Thanks guys, this is great!

germanmetteo
06-06-2004, 07:03 PM
hi i was born with a disease called hemihypertrophy where my left side of my body is smaller than the right side in the biceps its by about and inch and a half or two is there any way or good way to fix this please help it makes me very self concsious itys only the biceps i want to fix for now please email me with any answers mnmmoore16_122@msn.com thnx so much metteo

Alke
06-09-2004, 08:32 PM
hey bro, best advice it work with your doctor on this and focus on keeping the side affected with hemihypertophy from advancing too fast.

you could work the side not affected to try and even it out, but we would need to know about you and with such a rare disease, working with your doctor is best. Good luck man, start a journal and tell us more about yourself and how you plan to work out.

PYRO
06-12-2004, 05:42 PM
Turkey breast slices (no deli turkey)==???
Damn, i enjoy making my lunch sandwiches from the deli. I eat either bologna, turkey, and ham with wheat bread 24@7.
What do i take to lunch? Back to tuna sandwiches, i guess.

Alke
06-14-2004, 03:06 PM
Turkey breast slices (no deli turkey)==???
Damn, i enjoy making my lunch sandwiches from the deli. I eat either bologna, turkey, and ham with wheat bread 24@7.
What do i take to lunch? Back to tuna sandwiches, i guess.

by deli I think it meant pre-packaged sandwich slices of ham/turkey (which are mostly salt and water)

dissipate
06-18-2004, 03:27 AM
prepackaged meaning a few slices wrapped in plastic on the shelves? i just got some smoked turkey breast over the counter today and i'm not sure whether it counts as from the deli? it was sliced from a huge hunk. any suggestions on where to get alright turkey breasts then?

Alke
06-18-2004, 12:55 PM
prepackaged meaning a few slices wrapped in plastic on the shelves? i just got some smoked turkey breast over the counter today and i'm not sure whether it counts as from the deli? it was sliced from a huge hunk. any suggestions on where to get alright turkey breasts then?

sliced from a huge hunk? If it came off the real turkey then it should be fine...if it was a hunk of processed turkey (like those canned hams or turkeys) then I would not make a habit of eating it.

dissipate
06-22-2004, 12:52 AM
uh oh, i think i've been eating deli turkey then. i can't find any real turkey breast in the supermarkets around here!!! guess i'll have to take chicken breast then.

ecliptic
06-23-2004, 03:41 PM
Eat yourself some steamed blue crabs and thats an excellent source of protein. I live in Maryland and we eat em all the time.

MegaMuscle
06-28-2004, 12:31 PM
thanks for posting the list man i have been to three different bb sites and found nothing.

AzBboy
07-28-2004, 02:54 PM
no cheese?!

Den Fisher
07-28-2004, 09:07 PM
^ Low fat cottage cheese.

viperc8
08-03-2004, 10:50 PM
I thought most of the protein was found in the white part of the egg and not in the yolk where all the cholesterol is.

Podcore
08-05-2004, 09:57 PM
You guys are great. I have just registered today and MAN this is what i needed. Thanks alot.

viperc8
08-05-2004, 10:05 PM
anyone there to look at my question??

Podcore
08-05-2004, 10:09 PM
I heard the same about eggs. Here is what i found.

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/protein/egg-protein.htm

(i couldnt copy and paste just the data sorry.)

Blazin Civic
11-15-2004, 10:13 PM
How do you define an ectomorph or an endomorph?

agentplaya1
11-17-2004, 02:39 AM
ectomorph - if you've been skinny all your life, eat a lot but don't gain weight, and have a fast metabolism.

endomorph - if you've been at least a bit chubby all your life, gain weight easy, and have a slow metabolism. Football players tend to be endomorphs. Very bulky builds.

krosspyder
12-10-2004, 06:06 PM
what kind of foods contain L glutamine?

what kind of foods conatin the good fats?

how much pasta a day for a 235 pound person who is trying to loose fat?

im confused. i look over the stickies but cant figure it out. i guess i suck at math.

Optimum08
12-17-2004, 08:29 AM
wow i say sticky along with the many others...great list...

ryuage
12-17-2004, 08:33 AM
uhmm... this is a sticky

IrideVolks
01-09-2005, 08:46 PM
I wanted to add a great source of protien. Gyros which are lamb meat rolled in a pitta. It is absolutely the BEST. We buy it by the pund and buy our own pita bread. its Great

heathj
01-14-2005, 01:14 PM
I bought some kashi cereal the other day.
1 cup =
3g fat
36g carbs (8g fiber)
9g protein

fixationdarknes
01-27-2005, 08:39 PM
"Natural style peanut butter" is listed there. What exactly is "natural style peanut butter?"

AdmiralDan
01-27-2005, 09:08 PM
natural peanut butter is the kind that lists either only peanuts or peanuts and salt as the ingredients

fixationdarknes
01-29-2005, 02:20 PM
My peanut butter's ingredients:

-roasted peanuts
-sugar
-partially hydrogenated vegetable oils (rapeseed, cottonseed, and soybean) to prevent separation
-salt

So, I guess my peanut butter isn't natural style. :( But is it better if the peanuts are roasted or not roasted? And isn't vegetable oil good for you? I know the sugar is the main thing I'm trying to eliminate here, right?

AdmiralDan
01-29-2005, 02:26 PM
no. just get natural sytle peanut butter. one with only peanuts and salt as ingredients. the vegatable oil is bad

fixationdarknes
01-29-2005, 02:28 PM
no. just get natural sytle peanut butter. one with only peanuts and salt as ingredients. the vegatable oil is bad

Alright. When buying the natty pb, will the jar actually say "natural style peanut butter?" Or will I just have to search them all for the right ingredients?

getfit
01-29-2005, 02:31 PM
Alright. When buying the natty pb, will the jar actually say "natural style peanut butter?" Or will I just have to search them all for the right ingredients?
yes

fixationdarknes
01-29-2005, 02:36 PM
yes

I asked two questions though. Which one are you "yes"-ing?

getfit
01-29-2005, 02:37 PM
I asked two questions though. Which one are you "yes"-ing?
it will say natural pb
ingredients will consist of only dry roasted peanuts :)

fixationdarknes
01-29-2005, 02:41 PM
Alright, thanks for the help admiraldan and getfit.

jahutch
02-21-2005, 01:32 PM
Also, you will notice natty peanut butter comes separated - that is, the oil is all on the top in liquid form, with hard peanut butter under it. Get a knife, stick it in, and stir it up when you first get it. Then keep it in the fridge and you won't have to mess with it anymore.

Stirring it is good forearm exercise! :-P

fixationdarknes
02-22-2005, 05:11 PM
Thanks jahutch.

PYRO
02-23-2005, 10:24 AM
Also, you will notice natty peanut butter comes separated - that is, the oil is all on the top in liquid form, with hard peanut butter under it. Get a knife, stick it in, and stir it up when you first get it. Then keep it in the fridge and you won't have to mess with it anymore.

Stirring it is good forearm exercise! :-P

thanks.....what kind of oil? is it the peanut oil itself?

Y2A
02-23-2005, 10:25 AM
thanks.....what kind of oil? is it the peanut oil itself?

Yup :)

METALASIAN
03-15-2005, 06:52 AM
What is wrong with lunch/deli meats?

dissipate
03-17-2005, 09:24 PM
What is wrong with lunch/deli meats?
qn has already been asked. look through the previous pages.

bg74
06-19-2005, 01:08 AM
Thanks man! Now the list is taped inside my kitchen cabinet!

YungLifter
06-19-2005, 04:37 AM
I honestly don't know why deli meat is so bad but the only thing I can come up with is maybe to much sodium?

Praetorian
06-19-2005, 05:22 AM
it is processed meat. it's basically just all the leftovers smashed together, ala sausages/hot dogs.

YungLifter
06-19-2005, 05:32 AM
Oh, but when you go to the guy who cuts the meat he takes it off a big turkey breast or whatever your getting. Is that deli meat or is deli meat the one that comes like pre packaged?

ReelBigFish
06-19-2005, 01:31 PM
most of the meats you see in a store are just mushed up left over meats and they are formed into a "breast" shape.

YungLifter
06-19-2005, 01:39 PM
Oh...well I don't get deli meat anyway, but now I know why I shouldn't.

METALASIAN
06-19-2005, 05:45 PM
Isn't this supposed to be a sticky?

Haaji Dont Surf
06-30-2005, 03:49 AM
Bump :lurk:
I don't want this little bugger slipping away. :)

ryuage
06-30-2005, 04:01 AM
Bump :lurk:
I don't want this little bugger slipping away. :)

huh

Haaji Dont Surf
06-30-2005, 04:10 AM
huh
Getting it back up here instead of floatin' off to page four.

ryuage
06-30-2005, 04:16 AM
if you clicked on best of diet and nutrition threads on the sticky youd be able to find it or bookmark the damn thing

pfc3rex
06-30-2005, 11:25 AM
That's a very informative list, i've printed it off and going to try to live by the foods on it. Can we get a topic about cheap meals like hamburger helper or something like that, stuff that wont break your pocket but is still very well for you? thanks guys/gals.

BossHawg02
09-06-2005, 09:14 PM
yea, good lookin out bro.....

BossHawg02
09-06-2005, 09:26 PM
could I possibly get someone to open the STP cut document and and cut and paste for me my comp is a pos and wont let me open it........thanx

Saint Patrick
10-31-2005, 02:36 PM
Here's a link to the published article: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=156

Goodbarsix
01-09-2006, 08:48 AM
most of the meats you see in a store are just mushed up left over meats and they are formed into a "breast" shape.

I work at a grocery store, and helped out in the Deli for about two years. We started carying a brand called "Boars Head" which im sure you New Yorkers are very familiar with. This is cut and pasted rom their site:

"At Boar's Head we start with only the finest ingredients available, just as we've done continuously for nearly a century. We are proud to say that our meats and cheeses contain no by-products, no cereals or fillers, and no artificial flavors or colors. We wouldn't put anything in our products that you wouldn't put on your own table.

We use pure spices, pure beef, turkey and pork, ham that is trimmed by hand the old-fashioned way, and turkey roasted in an oven just the way you roast yours. Most importantly we maintain unwavering standards of quality."

So, would these be ok deli meats to add?
Tyler

HILL
01-09-2006, 08:55 AM
as long as they fit into your daily requirments then i cant see why not . old thread

Genacide
01-09-2006, 10:27 AM
Boars Head brand makes some good stuff.

DarrenEff
01-09-2006, 11:52 AM
Wasn't this thread made a sticky??

Davidelmo
01-09-2006, 02:02 PM
My peanut butter's ingredients:

-roasted peanuts
-sugar
-partially hydrogenated vegetable oils (rapeseed, cottonseed, and soybean) to prevent separation
-salt

So, I guess my peanut butter isn't natural style. :( But is it better if the peanuts are roasted or not roasted? And isn't vegetable oil good for you? I know the sugar is the main thing I'm trying to eliminate here, right?

NO

lol

Davidelmo
01-09-2006, 02:04 PM
I work at a grocery store, and helped out in the Deli for about two years. We started carying a brand called "Boars Head" which im sure you New Yorkers are very familiar with. This is cut and pasted rom their site:

"At Boar's Head we start with only the finest ingredients available, just as we've done continuously for nearly a century. We are proud to say that our meats and cheeses contain no by-products, no cereals or fillers, and no artificial flavors or colors. We wouldn't put anything in our products that you wouldn't put on your own table.

We use pure spices, pure beef, turkey and pork, ham that is trimmed by hand the old-fashioned way, and turkey roasted in an oven just the way you roast yours. Most importantly we maintain unwavering standards of quality."

So, would these be ok deli meats to add?
Tyler

I think by "deli meats" we mean the processed, packeted stuff which is pumped with water, fat and salt.

As far as Im concerned, if it is cut from a real piece of meat then it's fine. If it's come from a packet, it's not.

That stuff sounds fine as long as what it claims is true

xstalkrx
02-02-2006, 11:27 PM
ok it says to start a cut..subtract 500 from total cals. well...how do you know what my total cals are? and shouldnt you consider carbs as well?

Built
02-02-2006, 11:29 PM
read the link in my sig for how to cut.

brickt.
02-03-2006, 02:07 AM
Sticky this individual thread, STAT! This and WBB, stickied in the open would answer alot of Q's.

cphafner
02-03-2006, 05:39 AM
this is already stickied in the best of diet and nutrition threads, which noone reads anyway. No need for a seperate sticky.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-04-2006, 03:00 PM
^^

:withstupi

Aslin
03-16-2006, 12:14 PM
I'm on a cut and i get really tired when it comes to my jog at night (10pm) What would be best to eat beforehand to give me more energy for the jog? I've been thinking about changing my meal beforehand to Porridge (oatmeal) but they are Complex Carbs... Not very good for going to bed on methinks.

DumbellDude
03-19-2006, 04:07 PM
Great list. Thank you.

Q: Is there a good reason why not deli meats?

EDIT - Sorry for the duplicate question. Found answers in pages 1-2.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-19-2006, 04:20 PM
Deli meats are usually very high in sodium and from what I've bought from the grocery store, they don't seem to pack much protein.

DumbellDude
03-19-2006, 08:13 PM
sCaRz*Of*PaiN - Thanks. Stockpiled on some quality foods today in the supermarket!

Spence
03-19-2006, 09:43 PM
Thanks guys - succinct and good stuff. I'm saving this! Cheers

Holto
03-22-2006, 11:10 AM
I don't eat deli meat due to the nitrates. That and without the nitrates the meat would be visibly decomposing.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-22-2006, 02:18 PM
I don't eat deli meat due to the nitrates. That and without the nitrates the meat would be visibly decomposing.That sounds absolutely disgusting. But then again...all meats you buy are decomposing.

warrior22
07-31-2006, 11:27 PM
perfect post for a beginner like myself. i have been sitting here wondering what to eat haha. great post.

jamrock
09-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Sorta different list.. I like the specific food choices.

"What should I eat" is one of the most often asked questions. Here is a list that I was given that was pretty comprehensive and should give you an idea of where to begin. Please feel free to include additional foods or tips.

Fresh Produce:
Fruit: Apples, Avocados, Bananas, Cantaloupe, Pears, Plums, Grapes, Kiwi, Apricots, Nectarines, Peaches, Berries, Oranges, Grapefruit

Vegetables: Asparagus, Artichokes, Bell peppers (red and green), Broccoli, Cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, Carrots, Celery, Corn, Eggplant, Peas, Green beans, Lettuce, Cabbage, Collard Greens, Salad Mix, Spinach, Tomatoes, Mushrooms, Cucumbers, Onions, Green Onions, Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Zuchini and other squash, garlic

Condiments
Honey, Horseradish, Low-fat salad dressings, Mustard, Non-fat Mayonnaise, Slasa, Vinegars

Dairy Products/Eggs
Note - Choose low-fat or nonfat only when possible

Cheese, Cottage Cheese, Ricotta cheese, Eggs, Egg substitute, Egg Whites, Light margarine, Milk, Sour Cream, Tofu, Yogurt

Bread
Bagels, English Muffins, Pizza Crust, Rolls, Sourdough Bread, Lowfat Tortillas, Whole-wheat bread, whole-wheat pita bread

General Rule for Bread: Browner is Better

Cereals
Cheerios, Oatmeal, Raisin Bran, Shredded Wheat, Wheat Chex, Other whole-grain cereals

Staples
Peanut Butter, Almonds, Walnuts, Brown Rice, White Rice, Wild Rice, Flour, Bulgurs, Couscous, Wheat Germ, Lentils, Dry Beans, Dry Split Peas, Garlic Powder, Imitation Butter flavoring, Cajun Spices, Mexican Spices, Vanilla flavoring, Sugar-free Sweetener, Canola Oil, Olive Oil, Raisins and other Dried Fruits, Flaxseeds

Canned Goods
Tuna, Salmon, Black Beans, Kidney Beans, Lima Beans, Garbanzo beans, Green beans, Peas, Spinach, Tomatoes, Soup (lowfat and low Na), Broth, Pineapple, Peaches, Pears, Applesauce (unsweetened), Tomato Sauce

Pasta and Sauce
Spaghetti, Macaroni, Noodles, Nonfat Pasta Sauce

Meat/Poultry/Fish
Chicken breast, precooked chicken strips, beef pot roast, round steak, sirloin steak, pork tenderloin, lean ground beef, lean ground turkey, turkey breast fillets, fresh fish fillets (halibut, orange roughy, salmon, shark, red snapper), scallops, venison, canadian-style bacon, leg of lamb, lean ham, lean deli meats

Frozen Foods
Strawberries, blueberries, Peaches, Orange juice, Fruit Juice bars, Asparagus, Broccoli, Soybeans, Other vegetables, Cooked Frozen Shrimp, One-package meals, Healthy frozen dinners

Beverages
Bottled Water, 100% Fruit Juices (orange, apple, grapefruit), Tomato Juice, Diet Soda, Cofee, Tea

Snacks
Whole-wheat pretzels, low-fat chips, popcorn, rice cakes, whole-wheat crackers, sherbert

Supplements
Nutrition bars, protein powders, vitamins/minerals, glutamine, creatine, soy products, thermogenics

Holto
09-19-2006, 04:20 PM
That sounds absolutely disgusting. But then again...all meats you buy are decomposing.

I realize this.

I said visibly.

As in really noticeable and gross.

Much like a McDonalds burger without the additives, it would look smell and taste like rotten meat.

viperc8
09-20-2006, 10:58 AM
No one answered my question about the protein being mainly in the egg whites or not..

RedSpikeyThing
09-20-2006, 11:39 AM
No one answered my question about the protein being mainly in the egg whites or not..

I just checked fitday: 3.47 g protein in an egg white, 2.85 g protein in an egg yolk. Looks like it's a split.

Holto
10-01-2006, 01:45 PM
http://whfoods.com/foodstoc.php

Another good list.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
10-01-2006, 03:01 PM
^^

Awesome site.

mikesbytes
12-22-2006, 12:48 PM
This may be an old thread, but its a good simple summary

Slayer4317
01-15-2007, 11:44 PM
That list is really helpful.

andy86
03-21-2007, 10:37 PM
hey, I'm a lurker and just really wanna read the attachment on this thread :nod:

arcgremlin
03-28-2007, 02:31 PM
good list, has been on my fridge for a while now

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-19-2007, 09:34 PM
For more healthy stuff to add to the list, check out this link ~> http://whfoods.com/foodstoc.php

04-19-2007, 09:45 PM
good list scarz - mmm pumpkin seeds

billy03
06-11-2007, 08:45 AM
awesome thread very informative

turin39789
07-31-2007, 10:59 AM
Quick question - I am just starting out but have recently been buying pork loins on sale as I presumed this to be a lean meat, yet none of the diet guides seem to mention pork at all - what's the reason that pork doesn't cut it? I like it because I can get it on sale cheap and either cook the entire loin or slice it into chops and refreeze the extra.

Thanks!

CarlP
07-31-2007, 11:40 AM
Quick question - I am just starting out but have recently been buying pork loins on sale as I presumed this to be a lean meat, yet none of the diet guides seem to mention pork at all - what's the reason that pork doesn't cut it? I like it because I can get it on sale cheap and either cook the entire loin or slice it into chops and refreeze the extra.

Thanks!

That's a good question. I always stock up on boneless pork chops when they go on sale.

Mademan118
08-15-2007, 02:56 AM
just giving this a bump.

grtrat1
11-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Any info on the Pork.. I love bonless pork Chops on te grill..

cphafner
05-04-2008, 09:49 PM
What a bodybuilder eats in photos...

Today's food shopping. 6lbs of steak, 3lbs of beef, 4lbs of chicken, yogurt, frozen veggies, french fries. Had some of my usuals already stocked up (rice, potatoes, oatmeal, peanut butter, milk). All this was $48. Sales are great.

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/7426/grocerystoreto8.th.jpg (http://img516.imageshack.us/my.php?image=grocerystoreto8.jpg)

Tomorrows food to take to work. 3 baggies of nitrean, oatmeal, Results, yogurt, taco meat and rice. Keep a jar of pb and bottle of honey at my desk. Milk and bottle water supplied at work.

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/1158/daysfoodqa3.th.jpg (http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?image=daysfoodqa3.jpg)

Deathwish
05-12-2008, 12:28 AM
Sticky!!!!

Cirino83
05-12-2008, 07:50 AM
^^ apparently you don't read them :)

Mademan118
05-20-2008, 03:40 AM
Hey man,

I have had this list for a LONG time now and just want to say thanks for putting it up here! I have attached a word document with it formatted in a table for those who may want to print it out and put it on a wall or something. It helped me so I figured I should share it!

Once again, Thank you!!

bdunndchi
06-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Good post. Finally looked at it. Thanks!

RhodeHouse
06-01-2008, 09:02 PM
No McDonald's? Real bodybuilders eat at God's kitchen in the off-season.

JSully
06-05-2008, 01:42 PM
this needs to go back to sticky.. too many ppl asking what to eat..

kawasaki king
06-06-2008, 05:09 AM
I am new comer to the site and indeed body building! I have started training with light weights and I am 6'4 and 20 stone. Basically I carry alot of fat!

Is it possible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, I have read on several web sites that its not? I am sorry if this has been asked before!

dynamo
06-06-2008, 08:09 AM
I am new comer to the site and indeed body building! I have started training with light weights and I am 6'4 and 20 stone. Basically I carry alot of fat!

Is it possible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, I have read on several web sites that its not? I am sorry if this has been asked before!

Yes I want you stop lifting light and I want you lift with so much intensity that you get the shakes and uncontrollably cry when you're finished. Then you will lose fat and gain weight. or you can run more.

Aslin
12-07-2008, 09:55 AM
is it adviseable to get nearly all of ones fat from olive oil?

thanks guys.

diane82
12-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Always heard that bodybuilders eat more of pretty much everything and anything - since most of it is burned right back off again.

Diane

AJ_H
12-07-2008, 01:27 PM
is it adviseable to get nearly all of ones fat from olive oil?

thanks guys.

provided you are tracking your calories and being sensible I see no reason why not.

11not10
04-22-2009, 06:38 PM
Hey does anyone know about iced tea? I love it, and I would figure it would be better to drink than diet soda but what do I know. I add a pack of sweet n low to my iced tea as well.

VikingWarlord
04-22-2009, 06:45 PM
I go through about a half a gallon of unsweetened brewed iced green tea per day. If you're going to drink it and need to sweeten it, you're better off with a natural sweetener like honey or maple syrup than chemical bull****.

whiteman90909
04-23-2009, 04:48 PM
I go through about a half a gallon of unsweetened brewed iced green tea per day. If you're going to drink it and need to sweeten it, you're better off with a natural sweetener like honey or maple syrup than chemical bull****.

Yeah a little bit of honey can go a long way because it's not just sweet, it has flavor that goes well with the tea.

God I love having an electric kettle in my dorm.

thesaint
05-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Question: As it relates to turkey meat listed in the protein section, why does it say that deli cuts are a no-go? I love honey-roasted turkey deli slices in my sandwiches, but am interested as to why they wouldn't be a good idea in my overall diet. Thanks!

Pimpstick
05-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Sodium.

Mercuryblade
05-12-2009, 02:29 PM

Agave syrup is the ****.
Low glycemic index and it has a really nice subtle flavore.

thesaint
05-13-2009, 12:11 AM
Sodium.

Is that because your body will retain too much water? Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are working out (I'm lifting weights and playing basketball) on a regular basis, shouldn't you take in slightly more sodium because you sweat more?

Pimpstick
05-13-2009, 06:44 AM
Is that because your body will retain too much water? Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are working out (I'm lifting weights and playing basketball) on a regular basis, shouldn't you take in slightly more sodium because you sweat more?

There is enough evidence to suggest that a very high sodium diet will lead to negative health effects.

Yes, if you workout a lot your sodium intake should be higher, but trust me dude, there is enough sodium in foods you eat daily that you do not need to supplement it.

I eat lunchmeat all the time, it's awesome. Personally, I don't think it's all that bad, but you asked why it was on the no-no list :) .

KarlMarx
07-01-2009, 04:15 PM
There is enough evidence to suggest that a very high sodium diet will lead to negative health effects.

Yes, if you workout a lot your sodium intake should be higher, but trust me dude, there is enough sodium in foods you eat daily that you do not need to supplement it.

I eat lunchmeat all the time, it's awesome. Personally, I don't think it's all that bad, but you asked why it was on the no-no list :) .

A lot of people seem to be missing that it is not just about the nitrates, fillers, and sodium in compressed logs of meat--its the quality of the meat as well. Meat logs and deli slices are the particle board of the food world: they take the left overs and the garbage nobody wants or would look at and press it into a log. Sometimes, often enough, they dye it as well so that it looks like A piece of meat instead of 10,000 scraps, glands, and nervous system parts. People who are trying to eat well for health as well bulk typically avoid those. I have worked in food factories. Once you see what the 'leftovers' food made is in an industrial setting, I'd guess most people would be done eating it.

Pure Water
03-15-2010, 12:53 AM
Two questions for you guys:

1. For calories, what does it mean by "maintain"? Like when you say "maintain bulk", what does that mean?

2. How much carbs should you eat in one day? How much fat in one day?

Pure Water
03-15-2010, 08:52 PM
Two questions for you guys:

1. For calories, what does it mean by "maintain"? Like when you say "maintain bulk", what does that mean?

2. How much carbs should you eat in one day? How much fat in one day?

No one knows?

Boucher
05-02-2010, 01:19 PM
Great post, i tried to get hold of the e-book to how to cook like a bodybuilder but the links dead, has anyone got a new link?

seK
05-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Great post, i tried to get hold of the e-book to how to cook like a bodybuilder but the links dead, has anyone got a new link?

Who is the author?

robdacosta
05-02-2010, 02:24 PM
thanks for the info I will start eating many of these things to make my body more quickly and more healthy

earthbuddy1
05-11-2010, 09:02 AM
to maintain the same rate of cut or bulk, you need to adjust calories as you lose or gain. On a cut, you could hit a point of diminished returns though, so a diet break is often needed.

theman
03-04-2011, 01:45 PM
This is awesome.Thanx!!!!!!

nhernan1986
03-08-2011, 08:40 AM
I'm a Command Fitness Leader (CFL) for the Navy and I find it interesting how much research and support is out their supporting insulin responses and optimal eating, and yet throughout the certification process to become a CFL they still teach frequent meals vice fewer meals due to increased metabolic rates etc. I was already updated on the studies regarding squares vs frequent meals through personal research, so this came as a surprise (granted they didn't cover insulin and its affect to our bodies because resistance training is rarely something we deal with). Being in the military, cardio/plyometrics/strength endurance are what we focus on because our training sessions we lead revolve around our 2 Physical Readiness Tests per year which consists of max push-ups in 2min, max curl-ups in 2min, and a timed 1.5 mile run in order to dictate whether the member is within standards. So again teaching about resistance training was kept to a minimum but is never discouraged to the military member. I brought up the question to our instructor regarding optimal eating and taking into considering muscle protein synthesis, and his response was that my question was geared more toward resistance training and best covered offline (time constraints to teach the material) so I left it alone.

Our efforts as CFL's are primarily geared toward those IRRESPONSIBLE individuals who do not take much care in their training/nutrition/recovery which are put on a program called the Fitness Enhancement Program (FEP). Those on FEP are required to attend monitored PT (by CFL's) a minimum 5 days per week. Using these individuals as testimonials, I did want to provide another benefit to eating frequent meals vice squares. Pretty much everyone here on this forum has a goal of muscle growth/maintenance regarding their training programs so this may not apply much. The people I'm training in FEP are mainly concerned with passing the next Body Composition Assessment (BCA) so fat-loss is #1 priority. The Navy standards are Males <22%, Females <32%. Most of these individuals not only eat 3 or less meals per day, but each meal they consume is ENORMOUS with poor food choices. So when I take these guys and tell them to eat smaller 3 squares and fill 2 more healthy snacks in between in order to subside their hunger/appetite, they train their stomachs to eat smaller meals and get full faster. Many of the members discontinue the in-between snacks resulting in a lower calorie deficit to accomplish their weight-loss goals. It’s a win-win = calorie deficit/learning to control large meal consumption. It’s a mind game with them thinking that they are eating more but in actuality after carefully monitoring their food logs, they are eating significantly less calories (following our recommendations for food choices of course) and are content with eating much less per meal. The biggest attribute to our success with them is the rise in self-esteem/self-worth which motivates them to continue. Most then inquire about resistance training after “graduating” out of the FEP program once within standards which is when we reestablish the aspects of their training.

*Note- Although my position is occupied primarily with the FEP program, I'm asked double or more questions about resistance training which (besides for personal growth/knowledge) is a big reason that I am consistently researching and trying to learn as much as I can in order to provide the most up-to-date info to those seeking advice.

Next submission will be an open invitation for those nutrition experts to dissect my daily nutrition and advise me if any corrections are recommended.