PDA

View Full Version : too much HIIT?

flashdance
04-23-2004, 02:14 AM
I searched about 12 pages of "HIIT" and couldn't find an answer, so forgive me if I just overlooked it. How many times a week should I be doing HIIT? I'm cutting with no lifting (forgive me) and I'm looking at using it in place of cardio, so 4-5 times a week. Is this too much? Would I be better off mixing it with normal cardio, or should I just reduce it to 1-2 times per week?

Also, a related question, and I know it doesn't belong here but it's more secondary. If I'm shooting for cutting calories (10 x body weight?) will I need to up my calories to avoid catabolism? If this warrants its own thread in the diet forum, just let me know.

Your help is appreciated, thanks!

aka23
04-23-2004, 04:14 PM
It depends on the type/intensity/duration of the HIIT, your training history, genetics, and other factors. I would generally avoid doing high-intensity cardio on sequential days or near leg weight workouts. Mixing it with traditional, lower-intensity cardio could work well, especially if the activities were varied.

Also, a related question, and I know it doesn't belong here but it's more secondary. If I'm shooting for cutting calories (10 x body weight?) will I need to up my calories to avoid catabolism? If this warrants its own thread in the diet forum, just let me know.
I think rate of weight gain/loss is more important than number of calories. Formulas and calorie calculators do not work well for a large portion of persons for reasons such as metabolism and activity level differences.

flashdance
04-24-2004, 02:23 AM
I appreciate the response. My HIIT is just basic sprinting/walking, 15/45. Got to 7 reps before I almost died. Sounds like I'll either do HIIT every other day, so I get plenty of rest, or do a 3 day HIIT/lighter cardio/rest split. The calories bit makes sense, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything important. I'll keep an eye on things and see how the weight comes off. Thanks!