PDA

View Full Version : Two dieting questions...

jimlynch11
04-23-2004, 06:42 PM
1) What do you guys use to calculate your body fat percentage and lean muscle mass? I don't have calipers or the money for the water testing and what not, didn't know if anyone could point me in the right direction

2) How does everyone calculate their BMR? I've been to about 3 different websites that all give me drastically different numbers.

ryuage
04-23-2004, 06:54 PM
1) calipers, cost about 10-20 bucks get a pair!

2) experience, starting at a set point and adjusting according to what my weight/body is looking like and telling me.

jimlynch11
04-23-2004, 06:59 PM
Thanks.

In the sticky above, Severed Ties argues that BMR isn't as much of a factor as everyone makes it out to be - and that counting calories doesn't have to be quite so strict as long as you're eating right and at the times your body needs it.

So would it be safe to conclude that I can lose fat getting somewhere around my BMR (+-500) but eating right and being dilligent in my workouts?

ryuage
04-23-2004, 07:21 PM
i wouldnt so much to as say you can eat sesnsible and lose weight it is all a matter of calories in vs calories out... there is no way you are gonna "lose" weight if you are eating more then what your body needs in terms of energy requirements "food" sure eating at maint or slightly below would be beneficial and ensure you spare as much muscle if not all.