PDA

View Full Version : The Glass is Already Broken...

Blood&Iron
04-23-2004, 10:10 PM
Ramblings
It's been awhile.

Chances are you have no idea who I am. And if that's the case, what follows will most likely be of zero interest to you--it's full of self-importance and tedious verbosity. You'd be best off just clicking on the 'Back' button. For those few folks not in this category...

Yes, I said I'd never come back here. I lied. Of course, when I said that I had every intention of keeping my word. But things change. There have been a number of things in my life recently that have change my outlook--not profoundly enough, perhaps, but enough so that it made me think about how I left and why.

At heart I am a profoundly angry person; it doesn't take that much to piss me off and I handle my anger poorly. You might have been on the receiving end of this anger. More often than not I'd log into this site and just end up frothing at the mouth, wanting to put my fist through the screen. And for what? Usually, it was a silly argument about some trivial aspect of training or nutrition, a minor slight from another member (whether real or imagined), or something equally ******ed. Eventually I reached a breaking point and, realizing how unhealthy it all was, I left. I still think that was one of the wisest decisions I've ever made. I did keep posting on other sites, where I didn't have the same personality conflicts with people that I had here; I was fine with that. But I never really connected with people on any of the other sites like I did with some of the members here.

I have very few friends. I am, by nature, very much the loner. I tend to prefer being alone to being in the company of others. Yet somehow I found a good 3-4 people on this site whom I would call 'friends'. I've done a ****ty job of keeping in contact with these people since leaving. So, I've decided to come back--not for the forums per se, but for the people. I won't be posting anywhere but the journal section. And even here, my posts will probably be very sporadic.

Hopefully I'm a little wiser than I was the last go rond--but probably not. I used to think I knew everything about training and nutrition. Now I realize I know nothing. I'm not going to offer any unsolicited advice. It's not my place. My own results in bodybuilding/strength training have been underwhelming. I'll be honest, though--I'm not terribly interested in receiving advice either. Sure, feel free to give it. Just don't get pissed off if I don't take it. I've been 'bodybuilding' for a good 5 years now.

Bodybuilding tends to be about acheiving something: getting leaner, putting on more muscle, increasing your strength, whatever But I've come to realize something--that's not what draws me to it. Yeah, it's nice to see more definiition in the mirror. It's great when you can add just a bit more weight to the bar than last week. But, ultimately, (for me anyway) it's about being in the moment. I've read a couple of books about Buddhism. And there's much that appeals to me about it. Part of Buddhism is about being awake/I], about realizing that there is nothing but [I]now, this moment. About realizing hat there is nothing to achieve, nothing to gain, nothing to run to, and nothing to run from. There is only this moment, and that the person I am now, as I write these words, is not the same person I am now, several milliseconds later. In every moment, the universe is reborn. I find that to be a profound thought. To realize this, is to be awake. But it's difficult to be fully awake all of the time. I can do it for short stretches. And bodybuilding is one of the times I'm able to do so. At it's greatest lifting is about appreciating the moment. The world falls away and there is nothing to acheive. I suppose this is paradoxical, of course. You are trying to acheive something, you're trying to lift the weight. So there is something to acheive...and there isn't. What the hell does this have to do with anything? I dunno.

As for anyone curious about my training/diet, I'm still on the UD2. I should've finished with it long ago. Whatever. It suits me. I should be done with dieting in 3-4 weeks. Maybe I'll post pictures if people ask. Maybe I won't.

As for the more mundane aspects of my life, as some of you may or may not know, I finally found a good programming job--although I'm busy as **** (working about 55-60 hours a week). I'm now living in Farmington Hills, MI (in the Detroit Metro area) I bought a new car (a Subaru WRX), just joined a new gym
http://www.lifetimefitness.com/join_us/membership
(It's freaking huge.)
and am simply taking things as they come. I had the pleasure to train with RookieBldr a little less than a year ago and I always welcome the chance to train with other people.

I hope to be here for awhile. But honestly, it won't take a great deal to drive me off. Most of the above stuff about relaxing, all that Buddhist **** is theoretical. As Herbert Von Karajan (a famous German symphonic conductor) once said: "I don't think once can ever really overcome what's in one's nature".
If I find myself coming into conflict with others, ending up pissed off everytime I login, I'll take off again. It'll be best both for other members and for myself. I hope it doesn't come to that and I'm going to do everything I can to avoid that eventuality. But I realize it may end up that way. So, let me end my first new post with the words that I quoted when I left:

You see this goblet? For me, this glass is already broken. I enjoy it; I drink out of it. It holds my water admirably, sometimes even reflecting the sun in beautiful patterns. If I should tap it, it has a lovely ring to it. But when I put this glass on a shelf and the wind knocks it over or my elbow brushes it off the table and it falls to the ground and shatters, I say, 'Of course.' When I understand that this glass is already broken, every moment with it is precious.

WillKuenzel
04-23-2004, 10:18 PM
Glad to see ya posting again, man! You've always had one of those journals I enjoyed reading. When you'd put something in it. ;) Hope things work out for you to stay. You've got some good insight to stuff so it might be nice if you'd post outside of journals but I can understand if you don't.

ElPietro
04-23-2004, 10:19 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure I belong to neither group you listed, but I'll say it's good to see you alive and relatively sane. ;)

Glad you came back and hope you'll stay awhile.

Bodybuilding is only one form of growth.

Excellent choice for a car as well. :)

Blood&Iron
04-23-2004, 10:20 PM
Oh, yeah, my training/diet (although I probably won't be posting this stuff regularly). This was my 'heavy' workout from this evening (Took about 2 hours)

Sumo Deads: 135 x 5, 185 x 3, 245 x 1, 275 x 1, 315 x 3, 315 x 3
Leg Curl: 165 x 5, 185 x 5
Leg Ext (Unilaterally): 200 x 5(L), 200 x 5(R), 180 x 5(L), 180 x 5(R)
Standing Leg Curl (Unilaterally): 60 x 5(L), 60 x 5(R), 70 x 4(L), 70 x 4(R)
DB OHP: 30's x 5, 45's x 2, 55's x 1, 65's x 3, 65's x 3
Chins: bdy x 3, +35 x 4, +35 x 3
Dips: bdy x 3, +60 x 3, +60 x 3
HS Row: 140 x 3, 180 x 2, 260 x 5, 260 x 5
HS Incline Bench: 140 x 4, 180 x 3, 250 x 2, 230 x 4
Standing Calf Raise: 215 x 3, 315 x 4, 315 x 4
Rev Pec Deck: 100 x 3, 105 x 4, 105 x 4
Incline Curl: 30's x 3, 40's x 3, 40's x 3
20min Curl/Tricep Jockeying

Diet is pretty much UD2 to the letter. I've dropped most supplementation other than protein powder and creatine. I do use EC and In-Rage preworkout, though.

Blood&Iron
04-23-2004, 10:27 PM
Homeyield
Thanks. I'll see what I can do about posting regularly, but I tend to be so busy it's hard. I've kinda been refraining from the whole journal thing. I dunno if this really will even turn into a journal; I dunno that I even feel like tracking all the minutiae of my training/diet at the moment. I just felt like getting back in contact with a few people and this seemed like the easiest way. I honestly think I have nothing to offer in terms of training/diet/supp advice. I'll leave that to others. But thanks for the kind words.

ElPietro
Yeah, 'relavitely sane' is probably right. That's probably the most one can ever say about anyone, though. Thanks for the welcome back.

Big o Boy
04-24-2004, 12:36 AM
Subaru WRX... big balla. love those cars.

Saint Patrick
04-24-2004, 02:34 AM
Gino returns, and now B&I.
Now if we can only get that bugger Yates to come back........

So have you seen good progress with the UD2?

rookiebldr
04-24-2004, 06:30 AM
:)

Btw, it's rookiebldr. no caps, I'm much to humble for caps. ;)

Isaac Wilkins
04-24-2004, 06:54 AM
Good to see you back, man.

Blood&Iron
04-24-2004, 08:44 AM
Gino returns, and now B&I.
Now if we can only get that bugger Yates to come back........

So have you seen good progress with the UD2?
Yeah, it's worked very well when I stick to the plan. I tend to **** things up with amazing regularity, though. There've been 2-3 good stretches of like 4-5 weeks where I got things just right and the results were amazing.

Blood&Iron
04-24-2004, 08:46 AM
:)

Btw, it's rookiebldr. no caps, I'm much to humble for caps. ;)
You deserve caps, though. Holla! (or something)

Good to see you back, man.
Thanks. Good to be back.

wibble
04-24-2004, 09:27 AM
Welcome back man. You don't know me but I've seen you around here last year so I thought I would post since you started a new journal/thingy. :) Hope everything goes well for ya.

galileo
04-24-2004, 09:30 AM
:eek:

Welcome back!

Joe Black
04-24-2004, 10:46 AM
Welcome back B & I, good to see you back...

Subaru WRX huh? Nice, my Dad has one and its super fast.. He just needs to drive it faster!

chris mason
04-24-2004, 12:43 PM
I am quite sure I was part of the reason for your departure. I am sorry for any part I played in making you feel as though you cannot post here any longer.

I am glad you are posting again.

Beast
04-24-2004, 06:10 PM
2 hour workouts pwn. How do you like the WRX? Is it one with the bug eyes or a newer one?

Tank23
04-24-2004, 09:21 PM
Great to see you back mate! Keep posting regularly ay, I enjoy reading your 'ramblings'. :)

Blood&Iron
04-25-2004, 05:30 PM
Welcome back man. You don't know me but I've seen you around here last year so I thought I would post since you started a new journal/thingy. :) Hope everything goes well for ya.
I think I noticed you around. Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome back!

That's the best you could do? Pfft.

Welcome back B & I, good to see you back...

Subaru WRX huh? Nice, my Dad has one and its super fast.. He just needs to drive it faster!

Thanks. It's good to be back. Fastest I've gotten mine up to is about 110mph and that was for like 1ms. By nature I'm far too cautious to speed like that but I was way out in no man's land and couldn't resist. Probably will never go that fast again. On I-696 (the big highway into Detroit) everybody drives like 90-95mph so that's as fast as I generally go.

2 hour workouts pwn. How do you like the WRX? Is it one with the bug eyes or a newer one?

Love the car. It was a toss up between the WRX and a BMW 325xi (briefly considered the STi but realized I wouldn't even tap the WRX's full potential) and I'm very happy with the car I got--and it's about $100 a month less than the BMW would've been. It's a 2004, so no bug eyes; I don't much care for that look.

Great to see you back mate! Keep posting regularly ay, I enjoy reading your 'ramblings'.

Thanks. I'll do what I can.

Blood&Iron
04-25-2004, 05:56 PM
I am quite sure I was part of the reason for your departure. I am sorry for any part I played in making you feel as though you cannot post here any longer.

I am glad you are posting again.
Thank you, that's very kind of you. It means a lot. I know we've had our disagreements in the past. To be honest, I was very, very angry with you for quite some time--not that that comes as any surprise. Whether I was in the right or the wrong is irrelevant. I know my own flaws as a person (a certain smugness I can display at times and the poor way I deal with anger) certainly contributed to things. None of the stuff I got worked up about was that important. As I mentioned in the first post of this journal, I've had a few things happen in my life recently that have made me seriously reevaluate how I react to situations when angry. I'm trying to do better. Not that I always will. It's entirely possible I'll say something that might piss you off or strike you the wrong way (Hell, maybe there's one or two things even in this post) I'll do my best to avoid doing that, but I hope you'll be able to be understanding of me if it happens. Just know I really am doing the best I can and that I'll try to be equally understanding of you in the event you say something that pisses me off. I figure the fact I'm going to stick mostly to the journal section and my improved attitude will hopefully help avoid any potential conflicts. Anyway, thanks again for the welcome back.

Blood&Iron
04-25-2004, 06:49 PM
Ramblings
I've been lifting at Bally's for the last four years. When I joined I had only been lifting a year and there weren't many other options in the area. It seemed decent enough and since I figured I'd be moving before too long, the fact that Bally's had clubs scattered throughout the US seemed like a definite plus. Fast forward 4 years. I'm still living in Michigan. I've paid off my 'lifetime membership' (shudder) and so now all I need to pay are renewal dues--of about $200 a year. I live in a different city than I did when I joined, but there's a Bally's here too. But there's one, inescapable fact that kept bothering me:
Bally's sucks

How does Bally's suck you might ask?
Let me count the ways (Some of these are specifically in reference to the Bally's in Novi, MI):
1) ****ty music played way too loudly.
Now, ****ty music in and of itself is not something with which I have a problem. I have my nifty little MP3 player with which I can drowned the crap out. Celine Dion, meet Hatebreed. But Bally's seems to operate on the principle that if you play sh*tty music loudly, it somehow becomes good. So, I'm forced either to sacrifice my hearing by turning my headphones up so loudly my ears start bleeding or I end up deadlifting while listening to the
Enya.

2) Reracking.
You'd think most adults would be capable of picking up after themselves. It's not a hard concept to grasp: if you take a 45lb plate from one of the racks, then, when you're done with it, you put it back--right where you found it. Generally, this is a concept most people learn right around the same time they learn you're supposed to flush the toilet after you finish taking a dump (although, having seen many a public bathroom there seems to be no shortage of people who have difficulty even with this concept). Instead, the members of Bally's seem to be trying to solve the Tower of Hanoi
http://www.dcs.napier.ac.uk/a.cumming/hanoi/disk4.gif
except they're all r*tards so you end up with a a 5lb plate under a 25lb plate, followed by a 10lb plate, then a 45lb plate.

3) Working in
About 1 in 89837893 people working out at Bally's seem to understand the idea of 'working in'. Sharing (much like picking up after oneself) is generally something one learns about in kindergarten. Note to Bally's members: acceptable answers to "Can I work in?" include:
a) I'm just about to start my final set
b) Sure.
All other answers are unacceptable and may cause you to be beaten in the head with a 45lb plate. These include "I only have X sets left", making some kind of face, or just sitting stupidly on the equipment staring straight ahead like some kind of mute Forest Gump.

I could go on and on, but I'll leave it at that. As mentioned in my first post, I have anger management issues. I'm trying to deal with them, but hey you don't change overnight. Suffice it to say, my workouts at Bally's have generally ended up with me muttering crazily to myself as I pick up the plates strewn about on the floor by other members, and wait to squat while some 100lb douche does his curls in the squats. This does not a happy B&I make.

So, I joined a new gym. At this gym, I told myself, things will be different. And they are--somewhat. The following things are the cool features of my new gym:
1) It's open 24-hours, 365 days a year.
2) They've got a little desk just to give you clean towels.
3) They've got a sauna, two whirlpools, a pool for doing laps, an indoor olympic pool with two, two story waterslides (not that I'd use any of this sh*t, but it's still cool)
4) About 100 pieces of cardio equipment with 15 or so 60 inch plasma tv's covering the walls.
5) DBs that go up to 160lbs
6) A ****load of equipment and free weights.
7) They keep their music (which isn't too bad) at a reasonable volume.

On the downside, it seems like it might be just as busy/full of people as Ballys (A suck point for Bally's omitted above), the ability of members to rerack their weights is only marginally better than at Bally's, and they've only got (so far as I can tell) 3 toilets in the Men's Locker room for this huge facility (Who the hell's the architect responsible for that). Plus it's costing me $50 a month. I've got 30 days to get a refund. I'll probably stay as, on the whole, it's infinitely better than Bally's, but there's some part of me that's a bit disappointed. There's actually a Powerhouse (think Gold's/World) just down the street from me, but it's more the size of Bally's, the equipment is older, and it isn't nearly as nice. Whateva.

Training
2 hour full-body depletion extravaganza.

I got carried away and did tomorrow's UD2 depletion workout in addition to today's (about 12 sets per bodypart, each lasting about 1 minute) Cortisol is now my best friend. What am I going to do tomorrow? I dunno.

Diet
UD2, day 1 (I'm too lazy; plus I'll get like 20 people telling me my calories are too low).

Beast
04-26-2004, 10:08 AM
I had the same experience with Bally's when I was a member. So overcrowded, etc. Looks like you made a good choice. That gym sounds ****ing awesome.

galileo
04-26-2004, 10:10 AM
Sorry, I was too bogged down to come up with something more meaningful.

So, you gonna show us some pics or what?

Maki Riddington
04-26-2004, 10:58 AM
It's good to finally have you back and I will make sure to give you lots of advice.:)

Relentless
04-26-2004, 11:09 AM
- it's good to see you back
- congratz on the job
- I LIKE that you're smug

and

I hear you on the trials and tribulations of dealing with the craplitude of gyms... the reality I think is that 99% of all gyms are totally lame because they are not catering to the serious lifter. They are catering to the soccer moms that want to tone and to the hundreds of members that will sign up in January, lift for one month, and never return despite continuing to pay dues for YEARS. Morons.

Hatred
04-26-2004, 02:44 PM
Any man who is a friend of Rookie's (capital) is a person that I might not hate so much...I don't know you but welcome back ...Hooray for angst,satire and DOWN with the soccer moms!

Blood&Iron
04-26-2004, 05:22 PM
I had the same experience with Bally's when I was a member. So overcrowded, etc. Looks like you made a good choice. That gym sounds ****ing awesome.
Yeah, it's got a few things I dislike but on the whole it's orders of magnitude better than Bally's.

Sorry, I was too bogged down to come up with something more meaningful.

So, you gonna show us some pics or what?

Maybe when I'm done dieting. Given my previous track-record, probably a week from next never.

It's good to finally have you back and I will make sure to give you lots of advice.

Sweet!

- it's good to see you back
- congratz on the job
- I LIKE that you're smug

and

I hear you on the trials and tribulations of dealing with the craplitude of gyms... the reality I think is that 99% of all gyms are totally lame because they are not catering to the serious lifter. They are catering to the soccer moms that want to tone and to the hundreds of members that will sign up in January, lift for one month, and never return despite continuing to pay dues for YEARS. Morons.

Thanks.

Since I'm trying to be a less angry person, when I see people like this I ask myself 'Am I really better than these people?' Then the voice in my head says 'Yes, motherf*cker!'. So I glare menacingly (insofar as I'm capable) while mutter obscenities under my breath and imagining stringing them up from the chinning bar by their testicles (well, for the men anyway)/ The whole Buddhist thing is a bit of a work in progress.

Any man who is a friend of Rookie's (capital) is a person that I might not hate so much...I don't know you but welcome back ...Hooray for angst,satire and DOWN with the soccer moms!

From you sig, it's clear you're far, far stronger than me. Ergo, I hate you.

Oh, and what satire?

Seriously, though, thanks.

Severed Ties
04-26-2004, 05:46 PM
Nice to see you back B&I.

I worked out at a bally's for 4 years...god those places are low budget crap. The health department cement filled the pool so they couldn't reopen it after it had been closed on 5 occasion within the year. Then the plumbing broke in the building so none of the stalls could flush....one workout with that rancid stench was enough for me to hand in my membership card and get to a real gym.

Anyways welcome back

ST

rookiebldr
04-26-2004, 09:59 PM
I see you are also trying to curb your OCD tendencies by not listing the food digested. :cool:

ectx
04-27-2004, 12:59 PM
Ramblings
3) Working in
About 1 in 89837893 people working out at Bally's seem to understand the idea of 'working in'.

Hyperbole suits you.

Welcome back. Yours was one of the few journals I used for education rather than spamming.

btw, I bought Firefly season 1. You were right. Great series...too bad they killed it.

fuzz
04-27-2004, 03:31 PM
Good to see you back. I will be reading along, as always...

Blood&Iron
04-27-2004, 09:35 PM
Nice to see you back B&I.

I worked out at a bally's for 4 years...god those places are low budget crap. The health department cement filled the pool so they couldn't reopen it after it had been closed on 5 occasion within the year. Then the plumbing broke in the building so none of the stalls could flush....one workout with that rancid stench was enough for me to hand in my membership card and get to a real gym.

Anyways welcome back

ST
Thanks man; it's good to be back.

I'm totally loving the new gym.

I see you are also trying to curb your OCD tendencies by not listing the food digested.

Yeah, I was sorta burnt out on it. Plus Lyle M gave me total **** over at his forum, so I figured "Hell, why not give it a break" I'll probably put in what I'm eating so people have some idea. It's pretty much the same every day. BTW, I've been busy with a bunch of crap, but you will get an email back soon.

Hyperbole suits you.

Welcome back. Yours was one of the few journals I used for education rather than spamming.

Thanks.

btw, I bought Firefly season 1. You were right.

And this surprises you; I'm always right--except that one time noted in your sig.

Great series...too bad they killed it.

I still think Firefly is one (if not the) best show tv has ever seen--Babylon 5 was up there too. I'm still pissed it was cancelled. On the bright side, though, a Firefly movie has already been greenlit. I'm in nerd heaven.

Good to see you back. I will be reading along, as always...

Danke schoen.

Paul Stagg
04-28-2004, 11:04 AM
So, I'm forced either to sacrifice my hearing by turning my headphones up so loudly my ears start bleeding or I end up deadlifting while listening to the
Enya.

I can relate.

The WBB forums are better with you around. There are not nearly enough nerdy computer programmers with anger management issues posting here.

Blood&Iron
05-03-2004, 05:42 PM
I can relate.

The WBB forums are better with you around. There are not nearly enough nerdy computer programmers with anger management issues posting here.
Thanks...I think.

Blood&Iron
05-03-2004, 05:50 PM
I'm lazy so, but feel obligated to post something about my training occasionally, so here's a really crappy, uniformative breakdown. Enjoy!

Training:
Curls: thick bar x 15, thick bar x 15
Pushdowns: 80lbs x 18, 80lbs x 18
DB Incline Curls: 15's x 15, 15's x 15
Decline Ext: 15's x 13, 15's x 14
Reverse Curl: 25lb x 20, 25lb x 10
Barbell Curl: 25lb x 20
Squats: 115lb x 12, 115lb x 12
Leg Curl(1st set on different machine than 2nd two): 70 x 11, 115 x 11, 115 x 11
Free Motion Squat: 150 x 12, 150 x 12, 150 x 12
Calf Raise: 135 x 12, 135 x 8
Leg Ext: 110 x 9, 110 x 8, 110 x 8
Crunch: 30lb db x 12, 30lb db x 10

Diet:
1 scoop whey
2 scoops MPI + 5g inulin
1oz kippered beef
1 Life Choice Microwave Meal
2oz Peanuts

Calories: Not very many

I weighed 185 this morning. I'm skinny.

rookiebldr
05-03-2004, 06:10 PM
185! :eek:

Blood&Iron
05-05-2004, 07:14 AM
185! :eek:
180-181.5 (depending on the scale) this morning

On the up side, since I now look like I was just liberated from Stalag 17, my poundages (which have remained relatively stable) aren't quite as pathetic.

Hoo-yah!
:thumbup:

fuzz
05-05-2004, 08:49 AM
Are you still doing any training at all?

I'm thinking of going for the NSCA PT cert.

Blood&Iron
05-05-2004, 08:57 AM
Are you still doing any training at all?

I'm thinking of going for the NSCA PT cert.
Huh? Why would you think I'm not?

Look four posts up.

Good luck on the NSCA. If you do it and you start doing PT, I'll be interested to hear what you think. I couldn't f*cking stand it--but then, I'm not what you'd call a 'people' person.

fuzz
05-05-2004, 09:01 AM
Oh, I meant personal training. As in doing PT work at Bally's or anything.

Not YOU lifting weights. As if you could stop that!

Blood&Iron
05-13-2004, 09:03 PM
Ramblings
Okay, so some of you may remember me mentioning a guy at my former gym named Ted. The dude has the craziest training regimen of anyone I've ever met. I'd come in and he'd be doing incline presses. I'd do an hour and half full body workout, take a shower, get changed and leave, and he'd still be doing incline presses. One time I asked him about his back workout and it was like 106 sets total or something. Me and another guy used to say he'd made Arnold look like a pussy when it came to volume.

Anyway, so I'm working out at my new gym and whom do I see? Yep, it's Ted. I ask him why he's training there and he replies that he belongs to 4 different gyms. He also mentions that he's now working out 6-7 hours a day!!! I **** you not. And I'm sure it's the truth. He does take long rest periods, eat his meals, watch tv, whatever in between things, so it's not 6-7 hours of HIT or anything. But it's still completely ****ing insane. I used to have a hard time believing he was natural because of his volume--and because of how damn good he looks. He has the most impressive physique of anyone I've ever seen in person. I've seen bigger dudes, but no one who had his symmetry and proportion. In person, he looks much like Schwarzenegger looks in pics from around 1980 or so (Ted's got bigger legs; the pics surely don't do Schwarzenegger justice, though). I do believe he's natural, though (yes, maybe I've being naive) I think he just has unbelievable genetics. This past time I saw him, he mentioned he'd be competing in the Mr Michigan contest next week. (In fact, it turns out there are about 5-6 guys from the Bally's I used to train at that will be competing. One of whom is a friend of Dennis James and is a total freak--about 215 7-8% bodyfat at 5'3''; there's no doubt that he's on a ****load of drugs) Ted hasn't even started dieting, tanning, or practicing posing. He hasn't done anything. Pretty much the only reason he's competing is that his current training partner only agreed to keep training with him if he entered the contest (He's never competed before). He spoke at length about how he had no chance in hell because he and his training partner would probably be the only natural guys on the stage. I believed him. He seemed truly pissed off about it. He said he might enter a natural only contest a month or so later, but said even there most of the guys would be on and that he wished they'd require monthly testing of all competitors throughout the year.

So, I guess he could be using, but his comments about the competition along with his physique (his traps and delts are not overpowering as they tend to be with guys who use) and a few other things (like he was asking me about M1T this past time) make me belive he's natural. He doesn't even use creatine or protein powder. If he is natural, he could be Mr. Olympia if he started using enough drugs.

Anyway, he mentioned to me that he was in the June issue of 'Men's Exercise' and that he'd be in the July issue of 'Natural Bodybuilding' I went to the bookstore to look for the magazine. I found the issue and started scouring it looking for some tiny-as*ed picture in the corner or something...and flipped the page to a full-page picture of Ted along with a three page article for which he's the only model (about 20 pics). The weird thing is he looks a bit fat in them. MUCH, MUCH less impressive than in real person--really, I guess, pictures never do anyone justice. He did mention he was only 205 when they were taken (he's back up to 220 now). And man, the pics look pretty freaking gay--but don't most bodybuilding pics? Anyway, I still think it's incredibly ****ing cool. I'll probably head to the Mr Michigan next week.

And I'll be cheering for him the whole time.

For anyone interested, the pics are in 'Men's Exercise', in an article entitled 'Sculpting the Finished Physique' (pages 86-90)

Training
Full body, moderate reps. Decent workout overall. Lost a few reps on a number of exercises. Pretty good intensity.

Diet
****ed up last weekend, so I slid backwards a little bit this past week. About 182 depleted this week (was 181 last week). I think I'll do this about 4 more weeks (I've been saying that for the past year), but this time I'm pretty serious about it. I'm pretty happy with where I don't want to be much less than 175 depleted(185-190 carbed up).

Blood&Iron
05-14-2004, 05:31 PM
After looking at the magazine a bit more, it's TOTALLY GAY. I mean literally. There's nothing outright, but it's obviously targetting a less than heterosexual audience. Someone actually had to point this out to me as I just didn't want to believe it.

So, if some dude is eyeing you oddly while your looking at it at the bookstore, you're probably not imagining things.

LMAO.

EdgarMex
05-14-2004, 06:10 PM
I just bumped into your new journal. I used to read the one you kept before and it was always a very interesting read (although I don't think I ever posted on it).

Anyway, it's good to see you're back.

Ironman15
05-14-2004, 07:31 PM
Whats up, good to have you back, I used to read your old journal occasionally. Great read. I love the ramblings. Anyways goodluck man.

Maki Riddington
05-15-2004, 05:42 PM
185. Wow.

rookiebldr
06-07-2004, 10:28 PM
You're around but not updating?

I totally agree, pictures totally lie. Does the Ted actually work?

beastin v6
06-08-2004, 05:47 AM
Sup Sup/ Question....how are your workouts? Do you go around pyscho while lifting too?

Blood&Iron
06-08-2004, 11:10 AM
You're around but not updating?

I totally agree, pictures totally lie. Does the Ted actually work?
I'm lazy...and really busy. Plus I have no Internet at home. I live close to work, so if I really want to use the Internet I just come in for a little while after hours. But I *really* need to feel like posting.

I'll try to update soon...at least with a status update.

As for Ted, that was the first question I asked him when he said he was working out 6-7 hours a day. He said "I don't work much, but I get paid really well". He also said he had to head out to work (and this was at like 10:00pm) My immediate conclusion: he's a stripper. But I didn't ask. Don't much care to know, either.

Maybe I'll scan in those pics from the mag if I get a chance--although as I said they don't even come close to really representing what he looks like. I find the photos pretty unimpressive (although he's calves are insane in them). In person, he floors me.

Blood&Iron
06-08-2004, 11:12 AM
Sup Sup/ Question....how are your workouts? Do you go around pyscho while lifting too?
Meaning I go around psycho in every day life?

Yeah, I'm pretty much hate incarnate when lifting. Normal life, not so much. I'm actually reasonably well-adjusted. Reasonably.

rookiebldr
06-08-2004, 09:25 PM
As for Ted, that was the first question I asked him when he said he was working out 6-7 hours a day. He said "I don't work much, but I get paid really well". He also said he had to head out to work (and this was at like 10:00pm) My immediate conclusion: he's a stripper. But I didn't ask. Don't much care to know, either.

I'd say escort service, esp now that he has national exposure in a ghey mag. Really, better not knowing anything more.

Blood&Iron
06-12-2004, 04:14 PM
Ramblings
It's been awhile...

I've been dieting for f*cking ever. There's no f*cking reason I shouldn't have achieved my goals long, long ago. But I haven't. Why? Well, there are probably any number of reason. The first of which however is that I tend to cheat. Not cheating like eating a box of cookies (although, I have been known to polish off a bag of Oreos from to time), but 'cheating' meaning I eat a bit more than I should.

I have ****ty genetics. I'm not using that as an excuse, it's simply a fact. Certainly, I know other folks with even ****tier genetics (and I do have a few genetic strong points), but in terms of getting lean I honestly think I'm pretty well f*cked. That doesn't mean I can't get lean--just that it's hard as f*ck to do so. Dropping fat for me requires 110% dedication and I'm probably generally at 90-95%.

Now, Lyle McDonald, whom I very much respect, thinks I was getting myself all stressed out by logging my workouts and my diet/supplementation to an absurd level of detail which I used to do. I'm gone back and forth with him on it (and he seemed actually fairly pissed off at one point, although he's pretty much always that way) and I still honestly believe that logging things does not cause me problems. I'm know when I'm stressed out, believe me. And keeping a detailed training/diet journal does not cause me stress. All the same, I decided to take his advice. I was starting to get worn out on keeping a journal all the time. And while IMO it was no impediment to progress, I don't think it was particularly helping me either.

I simply decided to stop keeping a journal where I religiously made super detailed entries. Further, since I bought a new car, a big screen tv, and a bunch of other crap, and am trying to budget my money a little better, I decided to drop the ridiculous quantities of supplements I was using. I was probably averaging around $150-$200 a month on them (including protein). I reduced things to:

protein (which I buy in bulk)
ephedrine/caffeine
In-Rage (my one guilty pleasure)
creatine

I haven't ordered any "supps" per se, in a couple of months. I bought about 10lbs of bulk protein (5lbs whey + 5lbs milk protein isolate) from Protein Customizer about 1.5 months ago (which should last another month or two), which cost about $70 and have most of the other stuff already sitting around. My supp budget has gone from the aformentioned $150-$200 a month to about $20. So, now that I've stopped taking massive quantities of BCAAs, glutamine, glutamine peptide, various pills and potions, etc have I noticed a difference? Nope, not really. That's not to say that I'm now anti-supplements. I've just finally got reconciled what I always knew intellectually with what I was actually doing. Sure, the supps probably help. But for the money, they're not worth it to me at the moment. If I was rich, sure I'd keep using the stuff...but I'm not.

Anyway, what's the point of all these ramblings? Well, just that I've really reduced things to the simplest I can make them. I'm still doing the UD2, but I'm not tracking things in obscene amounts of detail nor am I using absurd amounts of supplements. Neither of these helping my progress THAT much. If they had been, I'd be 2% bodyfat by now. So, I'm trying to focus on the big things. Making sure I don't eat more than I should. Trying to work hard in the gym. And that's about it.

Ditching all the extraneous sh*t, once again brought to the fore the simple truth of things: I don't adhere to my diet well enough. So, this past week I rededicated myself. I'd been cheating on my diet days by eating ****loads of peanuts, and not doing such a hot job on the carb up + maintenance days of the UD2. I'm really ****ing sick of dieting. Sh*t, I've been "dieting" for the better part of two years. What kind of f*cking sense does that make? So, here's the plan: about four weeks more of near perfect dieting (give or take). One week is already down. I'm trying to control my calories a bit better on the week days. My typical food intake on one of the low calories days is:
7:00am 1 scoop whey concentrate
11:00am 2 scoops MPI(Milk protein isolate)
3:00pm 1 chicken breast, 3-4oz raw vegetables, 1 tbsp reduced calorie dressing
7:00pm 1 LifeChoice (low carb, low fat, high protein) Microwave Meal, 2 pickles (help fill me up)
9:00pm 1/2 cup oatmeal (topped with no-fat margarine, Splenda, + cinnamon), 2 scoops MPI

THat's it. For my carb up, I've tried to cut out most of the fat and sugar. This past week looked something like:
1 box Rice Krispies (+ a ****load of Splenda)
2 cans Campbell's Chicken Soup
1 bag Bagels
1 box No-fat Eggo Waffles + low-carb syrup + no fat margarine (plus a tiny amount of real syrup)
3 Big Rice Krispy Treats (my one indulgence; they're relatively low fat)

That's it. On the whole, I'm very happy with how things went down this past week. Just before my carb up I was down to 180.5lbs--about 2lbs down from the previous week. My goal is to lose about 1.5-2lbs every week. I did lose a bit of strength during my heavy workout, but I don't f*cking care. I'll get it back once I stop dieting.

Training

Anyway, here was my heavy workout (took about 1hr 45 min)
Sumo Deadlifts: 135 x 5, 185 x 3, 245 x 1, 275 x 1, 315 x 3, 315 x 1(which was 2 less than last week. Pfft.)
Leg Extension (Unilaterally): 250 x 5 (both legs), 180 x 5, 180 x 5
Standing Leg Curl: 70 x 5, 70 x 5
DB Overhead Press: 35's x 5, 45's x 2, 55's x 1, 65's x 5, 65's x 4
Chins: bdy x 3, +35 x 4, +35 x 4
Dips: bdy x 3, +60 x 3, +60 x 3
HS Row: 150 x 5, 270 x 5, 270 x 5
Incline DB Press: 50's x 5, 65's x 2, 80's x 4, 80's x 3
Standing Calf Raise: 175 x 5, 335 x 3, 335 x 3
Reverse Pec Deck: 120 x 4, 120 x 4
Curls: 80 x 5, 90 x 3
(additional 20min curl/pushdown jockeying)

WillKuenzel
06-12-2004, 04:29 PM
Good. KISS. Makes everything a bit easier. You know what's happening without having to detail everything. Good to know you are still knocking things out.

Maki Riddington
06-17-2004, 08:01 PM
Blood, here's some advice you don't need to hear. Stop "dieting" or at least change it so it fits into your lifestyle? I mean, why do you need to have a six pack? I asked myself this question awhile ago and came to the conclusion that I don't need to have one. I know I can get one, but now it's all about gaining muscle while keeping my bodyfat below 15%.

Blood&Iron
06-18-2004, 01:46 PM
Blood, here's some advice you don't need to hear. Stop "dieting" or at least change it so it fits into your lifestyle? I mean, why do you need to have a six pack? I asked myself this question awhile ago and came to the conclusion that I don't need to have one. I know I can get one, but now it's all about gaining muscle while keeping my bodyfat below 15%.
You definitely have a point. Of course, one might just as well ask 'Why do I need to gain muscle?' or 'Why do I need to be stronger?' None of these goals is any more worthwhile than the others IMO. Being a former fatass, I think being 'ripped' is more appealing to me than being huge--although ideally I'd like to be both. I'm not too far off from my goals (I'd guess/hope that I'm around 10% bodyfat at this point) and I'd like to see this to its conclusion (7-8%) That it's taken me so long to achieve only makes my final victory that much more gratifying.

But I do plan at returning to moderately normal (as close as is possible while being a bodybuilder) in the not too distant future.

Relentless
06-18-2004, 02:22 PM
Why not enter a contest if you're going to go down in the low, low BF range?

I totally hear you about the wanting to be lean FIRST especially coming from a formerly-fat standpoint. FWIW part of how I think I was successful in dieting down last summer to 191-192 or so was that I learned to enjoy being hungry. It was a bit twisted but in one of those Tony Robbins-style moments I started to associated being hungry with very positive things (achieving my goal, etc.). Made not cheating a LOT easier.

Blood&Iron
06-18-2004, 02:52 PM
Why not enter a contest if you're going to go down in the low, low BF range?

I'd consider it, except I'd have to do a lot more than *just* get myself to 7-8%; it's not something that appeals to me that much. At some point, I may though just for the motivation it would provide. I really don't have the sort of physique to do well in a competition, though. My arms are teh suck.

I totally hear you about the wanting to be lean FIRST especially coming from a formerly-fat standpoint. FWIW part of how I think I was successful in dieting down last summer to 191-192 or so was that I learned to enjoy being hungry. It was a bit twisted but in one of those Tony Robbins-style moments I started to associated being hungry with very positive things (achieving my goal, etc.). Made not cheating a LOT easier.
I've used a similar sort of mindset in the past. I think part of my problem is that I've been dieting so long that I'm sort of indifferent to it. I guess that's both good and bad. I'm able to restrain myself from cheating for the most part. But I'm also not as 'hardcore' as I could be, since it seems I'll be doing it in perpetuity (Although, as mentioned, I expect to be done before too much longer).

rookiebldr
06-18-2004, 03:20 PM
I've used a similar sort of mindset in the past. I think part of my problem is that I've been dieting so long that I'm sort of indifferent to it. I guess that's both good and bad. I'm able to restrain myself from cheating for the most part. But I'm also not as 'hardcore' as I could be, since it seems I'll be doing it in perpetuity (Although, as mentioned, I expect to be done before too much longer).

Yes, I totally agree. You have been doing it far too long and I can't imagine how you could sustain this without being totally frustrated! I totally with you in getting it done so you can do just growing again.

Relentless
06-18-2004, 03:50 PM
now that I think of it, there's always "The Dark Side" if you want to get leaner AND bigger

:evillaugh

Scott S
06-18-2004, 11:15 PM
Hey B&I, how opposed are you to the idea of doing Mass Gain UD2.0 for a while?