PDA

View Full Version : Whey protien....3x day...safe ?

Raven21
04-25-2004, 06:04 PM
As the title says. I suffer from not getting enough protne with the food avaible. Now is it safe, healthy..... to have one scoop of whey protien (22g) in the morning...... and then at night ?
I get about 164g of protien a day in the food I eat. Adding those extra protien from whey should getme upto par.

Thanks

BigMatt
04-25-2004, 08:27 PM
No problem man,Ive been Drinking like 10 scoop a day.

iLUDEd
04-25-2004, 11:53 PM
10 scoops a day is a little excessive, but if your desperate to get in some protein, a few extra shakes are fine. if your not going to be consuming another meal for a few hours after the shake, have it with milk to slow down the digestion of the whey.

Raven21
04-26-2004, 04:39 AM
Someone told me that you should only have 2-3 protien shakmes a day, if you have too much then it'll kill your liver...
TYhis may sound stupid, but Im new. Is a whey protien drink the same as a protien shake I get from my gym ?

chris mason
04-26-2004, 05:38 AM
The number of shakes is irrelevant, it is the total intake of protein that matters. Too much of anything is a bad thing. That said, most weight trainees could use more protein in their diets.

I'll post a bit more later.

Raven21
04-26-2004, 08:28 AM
Ok, Becuase again I lack of protien intake. And I am going to use whey protien to fill that void. Just makin sure that using whey protien to reach my 210g protien goal (my wieght is 210) is safe to take.

geoffgarcia
04-26-2004, 08:51 AM
protein powders are just filtered milk, beef, soy, etc.
Its not like its some scientific brew made up in a test tube. (despite my parents constant nagging that it is completely unnatural!)

So yes, your just as safe drinking a protein shake as eating a turkey breast.
However (I think?) it gets digested a little different in that its already in liquid form so it runs through your body slightly faster, spending less time in your stomach and duodenum. Especially if you get hydrolyzed versions of protein which are broken down more for faster digestion. So you may want to take a bit more water throughout the day to keep your body hydrated

If your going to be taking an excessive amount of protein from a powder form, you'd be better of switching up the types of proteins you ingest (meaning don't just take the same whey shake for 150g of protein per day, get some egg, beef, etc..). There are many different sources and each has a different amino acid profile. The greater variety you have in a day the better.

This is what makes blended proteins an ideal solution for protein consumption.

Also, you might want to stay clear of using "scoop" as a size factor for your shakes, you'll find that each brand uses a completely different scale on what they deem an effective amount per serving is. Some will be 5x the size of others. And they use this size difference as marketing to hype how many servings per container or how much protein per serving. Ya gotta get past this and aim for however much protein your body needs. Personally I take 35-50g 3-4 times per day...
I'd rather go overboard on my protein and fats than on carbs.

Good luck!

Ğragons
04-26-2004, 09:08 AM
my grandad said it damages yuior liver and kidneys, but i have to sya i havent had any bother with any so, why not take as much as u need :-)

Shark
04-26-2004, 11:40 AM
I dunno, maybe its just me, but I like to eat my protein instead of drinking it. I figure that my body has to breka down the food to get the protein so its doing more work which means i'm buring more calories. It's probably a negligable difference but I like natural food.

phatmonky
04-26-2004, 12:14 PM
I dunno, maybe its just me, but I like to eat my protein instead of drinking it. I figure that my body has to breka down the food to get the protein so its doing more work which means i'm buring more calories. It's probably a negligable difference but I like natural food.

We aren't all so fortunate to have no cares about spending the extra money for 200+ grams of whole food protein a day ;)

Saint Patrick
04-26-2004, 03:14 PM
my grandad said it damages yuior liver and kidneys,

Is your grandad a nutritional expert?

Raven21
04-26-2004, 03:39 PM
Some dude at my gym told me his brother had 3 protien shakes a day....and after 5 months.... he is in the hospital for liver failure :(

WillKuenzel
04-26-2004, 03:51 PM
Some dude at my gym told me his brother had 3 protien shakes a day....and after 5 months.... he is in the hospital for liver failure :(Of course he could have been running d-bol, winny and 5 a-bombs a day.

I've had more than 3 protein shakes a day for about 5 years now and I'm fine. If you have had liver problems or are doing other things to damage your liver then you might be at risk, but any normal human being will be fine.

Raven21
04-26-2004, 04:00 PM
Okay, now I feel alot better. Thanks homeyeidl

Raven21
04-26-2004, 04:05 PM
ohhh sh1t, I just had a protien shake about 30g of protien..........then my ma made me 3 chicken patties (17g each)...****. Thats 51g of protien a waste right ?

WillKuenzel
04-26-2004, 04:14 PM
No. The protein shake will get digested a bit quicker than the chicken. As the chicken gets digested slower it'll be released after the protein shake and so it'll get processed. Just eat and quit worrying so much. Different foods are processed differently and no person's body uses just so much protein and then dumps the rest. There's too many determining factors to limit how much protein a person should eat at one time.

phatmonky
04-26-2004, 04:58 PM
Okay, now I feel alot better. Thanks homeyeidl

Drink your water and you'll be fine!

AllUp
05-06-2004, 02:58 AM
Blame it on the protein... :rolleyes: j/k

in all seriousness, as long as it isn't a rediculously large amount of protein, there shouldn't be a problem assuming sufficient water intake.

Shao-LiN
05-06-2004, 11:11 AM
my grandad said it damages yuior liver and kidneys, but i have to sya i havent had any bother with any so, why not take as much as u need :-)

Tell your grandpa to stop eating chicken, beef, etc. then. Those are all protein too.

EdgarMex
05-06-2004, 11:49 AM

Plus it tastes better and fills up up for a longer time (another plus when you're cutting)

Saint Patrick
05-06-2004, 02:07 PM
Just eat and quit worrying so much.

:withstupi