PDA

View Full Version : Hack-squat machine

Chicker
04-26-2004, 03:53 PM
I used a hack squat machine the other week to switch things up, and a guy approached me and told me my stance was too wide, and my feet should only be shoulder-width apart. I'd never heard that before...was he right? I don't normally use the hack-squat machine, but incase I ever do use it again, I'd like to know.

He was sort of a weirdo, and watched the rest of my work out like he thought I was a total airhead or something. heh...

EDIT: After posting this I realized it should probably be in different section of the forum - sorry.

WillKuenzel
04-26-2004, 03:55 PM
Changing the width of the stance usually just determines at what point the hamstrings and glutes engage instead of the quads. He was probably just hitting on you. Its no big deal.

Chicker
04-26-2004, 04:01 PM
Changing the width of the stance usually just determines at what point the hamstrings and glutes engage instead of the quads. He was probably just hitting on you. Its no big deal.

Yeah, the other person I asked said the same about the stance. I just wanted to make sure, because I didn't think I had to keep my stance only shoulder-width.

I hope he wasn't hitting on me. The last person I'd want hitting on me is someone twice my age giving me wrong advice. lol

WillKuenzel
04-26-2004, 04:06 PM
There's a lot of know-it-all's in the gym. Especially when it comes to helping everybody but themselves. More often than not, there's no one way of doing things.

ectx
04-26-2004, 04:13 PM
Yeah, the other person I asked said the same about the stance. I just wanted to make sure, because I didn't think I had to keep my stance only shoulder-width.

I hope he wasn't hitting on me. The last person I'd want hitting on me is someone twice my age giving me wrong advice. lol

I'm sorry, I was hitting on you. :p

In all seriousness, what homey said. The stance just determines what engages more. I usually like to put my feet up a little, about shoulder width and squat to the floor. I also get heavily criticized for that too, but I feel like I get more out of it and my back and knees are fine with it...it's when I do things differently that it starts to hurt.

SW
05-19-2004, 05:21 PM
i'm with u ectx. i also use the shoulder width stance and find it gives me more stability and i feel a lot better about having hundreds of lbs on my shoulders lol