PDA

View Full Version : High protein diets

Wizard
10-09-2001, 09:12 AM
I had read before that high protein diets can gamage the kidneys,but now another article,says that they can damage the heart too.Well,I think it has a scientific backround so,here's the link to it.

http://www.americanheart.org/Heart_and_Stroke_A_Z_Guide/hiprodiets.html

Paul Stagg
10-09-2001, 09:20 AM
I don't see how anyone can take this seriously.

They don't cite a single study.

syntekz
10-09-2001, 09:21 AM
What is considered a high protein diet?

I consider myself to be on a high protein diet (about 300 grams/day), but I also eat a large amount of carbs and fats.

Of course if you don't get enough nutrients you are going to have problems. That's why so many people supplement with pills, etc.

I really don't think all meats are high in saturated fats like stated in the article. I can't mention one meat source in my diet that contains a high amount of saturated fats unless you want to count my 2 egg yolks I eat in the morning.

I think this article deals more with those people who are overweight, and lose weight by eating no carbs at all. Those people who basically starve themselves to lose weight and starve their body of any nutrients by eating very low calorie diets in general.

I'm just rambling...

:rolleyes:

Wizard
10-09-2001, 09:29 AM
A diet which contains more than 60%protein is considered as a high protein diet.
I too agree that they don't provide us with many -or any- proofs but wtf,they are called "scientists".. they have a degree at least...
I don't trust them though ;)

Buzzdolfo
10-09-2001, 09:36 AM
I agree with muscle authority. A high protein diet alone with minimal carbs and fat will be detrimental to health over long-term use. However, I strongly believe that a balanced diet of carbs, fats and protein is very safe. Its true that too much of anything is bad for your health ... that's why you have to balance everything out. If protein is your main source of calories your liver will have to use the protien to make fats, glucose, and energy. An increase in metabolism of protein will result in an increase in toxic metabolites that will damage organs. Adding enough carbs and fat will enable the liver to make the other necessary nutrients of the body by "safer means" therefore not converting proteins into "everything". For example, making glucose from amino acid (protein) takes several enzymatic reactions when it only takes simple digestion of carbs to end up with the same result. These enzymatic reactions results in the production of the toxic nitrogenous metabolites. Obviously the bigger you are the bigger your organs are and the greater their metabolic capacity...thus 300g of protien is probably insignificant to the 225 pounder but is probably excessive for the 100 pounder.

Wizard
10-09-2001, 09:51 AM
I totally agree.Excellent post Mr Buzzdolfo!

Paul Stagg
10-09-2001, 12:06 PM
Key points are:

Relative

High

High protein relative to carbs and fats (a % of total cals) may indeed be a Bad Thing (tm). I'm not aware of any substantive research that indicates that, but Buzz makes good points.

This article addresses the Adkins diet (about 30% protein), and the Zone Diet (30% protein, IIRC)

Neither of those diets would lead to what Buzz is talking about (Adkins via ketosis avoids gluconeogenesis, and as long as the person isn't overeating, there would be no fat storage, and Zone via the ingestion of 40% of cals from carbs - plenty for an athlete, much less a sedentary person)

If they could back up what they say with facts (like MA mentioned, there are issues with nutrients on keto diets) I'd take them seriously.

I don't see how they can even mention the Zone, which is essentially iso-caloric. Further, the assertion or implication that more than 100g of protein may be unhealthy is COMPLETELY unfounded. Further, they indicate that plant sources of protein may be better than animal sources, also unfounded, and quite possibly untrue. Obviously, the nitwit who wrote this is tying saturated fat consumption with protein consumption, which in many cases is correlated, but there is not a causal relationship between protein and heart problems.. and some reasearch I've gotten wind of (mentioned by others) may be showing the main link between high fat diets and heart problems is that most people who eat high fat diets are obese... and the obesity is the problem, not the fat in the diet.

As a scientific article, this is a complete joke.

KeepPushing
10-09-2001, 12:13 PM
high protein diet vs fast food all day and high fat foods and junk food..........

hmm which is better for ur heart ?

Hercules
10-09-2001, 01:22 PM
i personally believe that a high protein/low carb diet for fat loss is better than high car diets commonly recomended especially for those of us who have higher amounts of fat to loose, some one with signifcantly less fat may benift more from the body for life eating program which balances protein, carbs and fats. i think for bulking high protein moderate carbs and moderate fats are a good way to go as is the common moderate protein and high carbs. i would'nt stay on a high carb diet for more than a couple of weeks myself as i feel high amounts of carbs are just as bad if not worse than a diet high in saturated fats. many of you don't know that i am an advocate of the atkins diet, the greenwich diet, lyle mcdonalds diet and most keto diets, i am for the balanced approach as well, keeping carbs to moderate levels while keeping protein higher than normal. i don't agree with the food guide pyramid as i have stated before. bottom line, high protein ok, high carbs only for short tem bulking, high fats, only for keot diets(good fats are essential), high water intake a must. then again most of already know all this.

KeepPushing
10-09-2001, 02:28 PM
high protein and low carbs are working good for me... with some thermos

only been on it for 2 weeks......

body
10-09-2001, 02:33 PM
also when the write about high protein diets they always cite the worst case diets which use a lot of protien sources high in saturates. eg red meat not lean cuts.
They do not seem to cite udo emarus(the fat doctor)9fish, chicken) more healthy choice of fats. though fibre may be a problem. and its low in fibre so may involves supps.
pesoanlly give me carbs any day.

IceRgrrl
10-09-2001, 02:54 PM
I think that carefully defining the population targeted for any diet is really key to interpreting all these studies.

For those of us who are doing heavy weight training, the relatively higher protein diet makes sense, since we're trying to build more muscle tissue.

For your average American (think overweight middle-aged housewife or fat stressed businessman), a high protein diet probably isn't the best way to lose weight. This population needs basic education on nutrition, portion control, and breaking stress/comfort/boredom/convenience eating habits as well as introducing physical activity.

The publishers/authors of these studies *should* be making these distinctions...but...

Cackerot69
10-09-2001, 11:10 PM
WTF? This post is stupid. Blacky what is wrong with you lately?

Wizard
10-10-2001, 04:35 AM
Hey Cack,I'm gonna be a scientist and I can only support scientific proved articles! :D
j/k
I didn't post the link to prove that the diets I've followed for such a long time were a waste of time!.. but just to take the feedback I was waiting to get:Negative tuttut