PDA

View Full Version : 450g of protein

prof
04-27-2004, 10:35 AM
http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/310mut.jsp

this guys transformation is very impressive.

he eats 450g of protein each day on his cutting diet,

from the pics it obviously works really well,

my question is, do you really need more than 1g per pound

ryuage
04-27-2004, 10:43 AM
do you "need" no

can it help sure..

Allyrulez
04-27-2004, 12:03 PM
I read something that if you have reduced carbs, your body resorts to using some of the protein you eat for energy (something like that), so the protein avaliable for muscle will be less, but as the body doesnt store protein as fat so readily um well i tried

geoffgarcia
04-27-2004, 12:06 PM
I'm probably wrong, but I think goal state would be to maintain a positive nitrogen balance while keeping your calories to a point where your daily activity + BMR consumes 250-500 more cals per day than you consume.

To keep a + nitrogen balance I think the jury might still be out on if its soley a caloric issue or how much protein comes into play?

Thats the gist of what I understand...but I'm probably way off

--
oh, so point being, the 450g of protein might be to compensate for a low carb diet...ya gotta get the cals from somewhere

Spartacus
04-27-2004, 01:51 PM
I read something that if you have reduced carbs, your body resorts to using some of the protein you eat for energy (something like that), so the protein avaliable for muscle will be less, but as the body doesnt store protein as fat so readily um well i tried

you body isn't going to store protein or carbs as fat, but when you eat them it will burn less fat, so its all the same in the end. and your body always uses a large portion of the protein you eat for energy, but there isn't relaly anything you can do about it and its assumed in protein needed formulas anyway.

galileo
04-27-2004, 02:28 PM
He has been discussed in the past. I do believe he used some type of androgen during his transformation.

Holto
04-27-2004, 02:33 PM
you body isn't going to store protein or carbs as fat

it can store all three macro's as fat the only difference is efficiency

protein and carbs require calories to fuel the processes needed for conversion to fat

Alke
04-27-2004, 02:40 PM
those numbers do seem a bit low for carbs, even if you keep protein that high, I dont know......he looks extremely well defined for someone who says they are completely natural, not saying you cant look like that in that amount of time, but damn, if he is for real how do you go through half your life and not realize you have those kinds of genetics to make such a transformation naturally?

restless
04-27-2004, 02:49 PM
you body isn't going to store protein or carbs as fat, but when you eat them it will burn less fat, so its all the same in the end.

Under extreme conditions your body will store carbs as fat. It depends on how low your overall dietary fat percentage is. De Novo Lipogenesis is as effective a pathway the more fat deficient your diet is. So your afirmation is not true.

and your body always uses a large portion of the protein you eat for energy, but there isn't relaly anything you can do about it and its assumed in protein needed formulas anyway.

The body does use up to 58% of the carbon skeletons of aminoacids as energy (process known as deamination), producing glucose or ketones depending on whether it's a glucogenic or ketogenic aminoacid. But, it does so AFTER it removed the nitrogen portion of the said aminoacid. So what you should be saying is that the body recycles the remaining carbon skeleton and uses it for energy.

snow
04-27-2004, 03:46 PM
i don't know what to believe anymore, but the nutrition book i'm reading says that normal adults shouldn't take more than 1.6 g / 1 kg of bodyweight, which is twice the RDA set.

phatmonky
04-27-2004, 03:50 PM
i don't know what to believe anymore, but the nutrition book i'm reading says that normal adults shouldn't take more than 1.6 g / 1 kg of bodyweight, which is twice the RDA set.

quit bringing this into other threads :)

restless
04-27-2004, 03:51 PM

A bodybuilder or any athlete is probably not one of those (normal adults, whatever that is).

latinomasfino
04-27-2004, 04:29 PM
:withstupi
A bodybuilder or any athlete is probably not one of those (normal adults, whatever that is).

snow
04-27-2004, 04:42 PM
:withstupi

a bodybuilder or athlete is not supposed to take more than 1.6 g / 1kg, according to my book, and other internet sites i've seen.

not to mention, 450g of protein = 1800 calories, so i highly doubt this guy is getting his recommended ratio of 10-15% protein, 30% fat, and 60% carbs.

unless his diet is 10,000 plus cals.

Spartacus
04-27-2004, 04:58 PM

you're right and i should have been more clear. to clarify i was just addressing the situation referred to, a low-carb diet.

Isaac Wilkins
04-27-2004, 06:55 PM
a bodybuilder or athlete is not supposed to take more than 1.6 g / 1kg, according to my book, and other internet sites i've seen.

not to mention, 450g of protein = 1800 calories, so i highly doubt this guy is getting his recommended ratio of 10-15% protein, 30% fat, and 60% carbs.

Why does he need 60% carbs? He's not going through long, glycolic-based practices. 60% carbs for sedentary individuals, as the food pyramid and other useless protocols recommend is also a useless guide.

What he's doing is intentionally using protein as an energy source. This allows him to consume more food, cover his amino acid need bases, and enjoy a higher thermic response to food intake. He's using protein to make very expensive (metabolically) blood sugar.

ectx
04-27-2004, 07:00 PM

What you're assuming is that the only thing one adjusts in diet is calories. The truth is that depending on your goals those ratios will change. Diets higher in proteins, as Borris pointed out, favor a thermic response. I am a firm believer in adjusting your diet and macronutrient ratios to your dietary goals. My intake has varied from 100g daily to 350g.

chris mason
04-27-2004, 07:08 PM
I think 450g for almost anyone is a bit excessive.

We at AtLarge typically recommend 2g per kg of bodyweight (or just a bit less than 1g per pound). We think this will provide a hard training individual all the protein he/she needs to maximize their results in the gym.

prof
04-28-2004, 03:27 AM
but i guess if [note the if]the chap in question has some chemical assistance, more protein could be absorbed than the average trainer. Sorry my knowledge of androgens is severly limited so that's a total guess.