PDA

View Full Version : LOW CARB Protien bar recipes!

Mademan118
04-27-2004, 07:24 PM
I jus started my carb cycling and im in need of a low carb par that is still high in protien and cals jus about 10 or some carbs or even 12-15 but still low. Post them up!!!

jimlynch11
04-29-2004, 11:13 AM
There are a few brands selling Carb Control protein bars or whatever...powerbar is one of them. I tried the Chocolate Peanut Butter variety of one type and it was actually one of the most tasty bars I had.

power bar carb select (http://www.powerbar.com/Products/ProteinPlus/Flavors/flavor.asp?pt=cs&f=200312813543019216810109)

AllUp
04-29-2004, 11:21 AM
Hmm, PowerBars' Protein Plus (carb select) has only like 2 carbs as most of the sugar is alcohol. Excellent for lunchtime. EAS also has one, I forgot the name, I think they're (Carb Control) and have like 3 carbs.

I'd go with the carb select though, like jim said -tastes a hell of a lot better. :)

Also has better stats if my memory serves correctly.

brianbob123
04-29-2004, 02:18 PM
Hmm, PowerBars' Protein Plus (carb select) has only like 2 carbs as most of the sugar is alcohol. Excellent for lunchtime. EAS also has one, I forgot the name, I think they're (Carb Control) and have like 3 carbs.

I'd go with the carb select though, like jim said -tastes a hell of a lot better. :)

Also has better stats if my memory serves correctly.

The protein plus bars are good, but I dont think its nearly enough for a meal.... unless you were just saying as a part of a meal. The vanilla ones are very tasty.

the doc
04-29-2004, 07:30 PM
i think he wants some recipies that he can make

i'd be interested also.

Mademan118
04-29-2004, 08:49 PM
yes i wnat recipes. if i cant find any im jus gonna buy some detours.

Holto
05-05-2004, 09:42 AM
never tried this...but I do make a lot of bars

unsweetened chocolate
melted in a pot on top of the stove

once melted add some no carb syrup (sucralose)

then stir in as much ground flax as possible

Stray
05-24-2004, 04:25 PM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=5283 has a few good recipes.

John Williams
05-28-2004, 01:59 PM
Here are a couple of low-carb bars that you can make at home. They're a little sticky, but it's hard to make a bar with good texture without putting-in some sort of flour. Now if you want a low-gi bar with little sugar and whole oats, let me know because I have a killer recipe for peanut-butter banana bars.

Peanut Butter Fudge Bars

Some people have told me that these bars stick to their teeth, which might result from adding too much water. I try to use as little water as possible, making it more of a moldable matrix instead of a slimy mess. Just be sure to drink a lot of water with the bars so you can digest the protein.

Ingredients:

2 scoops chocolate protein powder
2 scoops flax meal (ground flax seeds)
4 tablespoons chunky natural peanut butter
Instructions:

Mix these together in a bowl, adding ľ cup water (or less if you can manage) and Splenda, to taste. At first, it will seem like itís not enough water, but keep stirring, and it will eventually become a moldable blob of dough that looks like what you would imagine it will on the way out of your body.
Divide the mixture in half, and put it into separate pieces of plastic wrap, shaping into a bar within the wrap. Itís easier to shape them by laying plastic wrap in one side of a small casserole dish, pressing the dough into the natural shape of the dish.
Put the bars into the fridge, or store them in the freezer. You can eat them chilled, or even frozen, or you can eat it right out of the bowl with a spoon if youíre feeling impatient.
The carb amount is on the high-end for P+F meals, but they are mostly low-impact carbs from the flax seeds. Plus, you get the added benefits of the fiber.

Macronutrient Profile (each bar):

K/cal: 380
Fat: 23 g (5s, 11m, 7p)
Carbs: 15 g (6 g fiber)
Protein: 33 g
Almond-Coconut Bars

Hereís a variation of the previous bars, with a few more bells and whistles, making them taste sort-of like an Almond Joy, if you have a vivid imagination.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup flax seed meal
5 tablespoons lowfat cream cheese
1/2 cup sliced almonds (blanched and raw)
5 scoops chocolate whey protein powder
1/2 cup granulated Splenda
1/4 cup water
Ĺ tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon coconut extract
2 teaspoons almond extract
Instructions:

Nuke the cream cheese just until itís soft enough to mix.
Combine all dry ingredients in bowl, and then mix in the rest, until it becomes a big glob. Resist the temptation to add more water; just keep stirring and it will mix.
Press into 8x8 brownie pan, sprayed with pam.
Chill and cut into 5 pieces. Put each piece in plastic wrap and store in fridge or freezer.
Like the other bars, these melt very easily; so donít keep them in your back pocket.

Makes 5 bars.

Macronutrient Profile (each bar):

K/cal: 270
Fat: 14 g (4 s, 5m, 5p)
Carbs: 12 g (3 fiber)
Protein: 27 g

Vido
05-28-2004, 05:55 PM
Hey John, post the peanut butter banana bar recipe.

John Williams
05-29-2004, 11:37 AM
Hey John, post the peanut butter banana bar recipe.

Vido, here you go:

If any of you missed the controversy about Tri-O-plex bars - they're not all they're made out to be: http://www.labelclaimstesting.com/?pageID=20

So last month I decided to make my own version. These are modeled after the claims that Tri-O-Plex is making - a high protein bar with complex carbs and fiber from oats, rather than empty carbs from sugar or sugar alcohol.

The most important thing about making these bars is that you don't cook them too long. When experimenting with the recipe, I cooked one batch (350 degrees F) for 15 minutes, another batch for 20 minutes, and a third batch for 25 minutes. The 15 minute batch were undercooked, but were very tasty. The 20-minute batch weren't sticky and gooey, but were almost overcooked and didn't quite have the flavor of the 15 minute batch. The 25-minute batch were nasty and could be used for hockey pucks. So the ideal time is right between 15 and 20 minutes. Just check to make sure they don't get too hard.

Here are the ingredients:

8 scoops vanilla or chocolate whey protein powder
2 cups rolled oats
4 medium bananas (raw)
1.2 oz banana chips (about one handful)
4 tbsp chunky peanut butter
1 cup granulated Splenda
1 tsp salt

Instructions:

1. In a clean, dry blender, process one cup of rolled oats into flour (blend on medium for about 1 minute).

2. After removing the oat flour, put the banana chips into the blender and chop into chips (only takes a few seconds).

3. Put all of the dry ingredients into a large bowl and stir together: oat flour, the remaining rolled oats (1 cup), chopped banana chips, protein powder, Splenda, salt.

4. Slice the raw bananas into the blender and process on medium speed, until producing a puree. Add the peanut butter and blend for a few seconds, just until mixed (you want to leave some peanut chunks for texture).

5. Stir the banana-peanut butter puree together with the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.

6. Cut 8 squares of aluminum foil, about 6X10 inches each. Lightly coat the interior with a cooking spray. Spoon out an equal portion of the mixture onto each foil square, and roll them into a bar shape. I fold them like tamales, folding the ends over as well. You can flatten them into bar shapes if you want, to avoid the resemblance to what it might look like after it passes through your body.

7. Bake the bars in the foil in a preheated oven at 350-degrees F, for 16-20 minutes. *Be sure not to overcook*

Nutritional Information:

(Makes 8 bars)

Each Bar:
k/cal - 323
Protein - 28 g
Fat - 8 g (3s, 3m, 2p)
Carbohydrates - 37 g (5 fiber)

The bars can stay in the foil until you're ready to eat them, and they don't need to be refrigerated, unless you want to keep them for longer than a week or so.

Optimum08
05-29-2004, 05:53 PM
wow sounds very tasty john...looks like im doing some baking...