PDA

View Full Version : alcohol or weed?

codei
04-27-2004, 08:32 PM
hopefully this fits in this section of the forum since drinks are consumption which could qualify as nutrition.

anyway, obviously neither are good.. but in moderation, which would have the least detriment to a very active cardio and lifting routine? lets presume by alcohol i mean a few beers and no munchies associated w/the weed.

JustinASU
04-27-2004, 09:13 PM
I would say marijuana (personally), buuuut, both have very detrimental effects to training. Do a search as there are numerous threads on these topics.

JTyrell710
04-27-2004, 09:40 PM
what do u mean by moderation w/ the weed? how much in what time period

codei
04-27-2004, 09:43 PM
twice a week.. one or two modest bowls

JTyrell710
04-27-2004, 09:55 PM
i would think that theyre about the same, the worst effects of mj i would think is the smoke to your lungs.. thats very little smoke- and alcohal isnt too bad for you in moderation

codei
04-27-2004, 10:04 PM
yea im currently getting over a year long "cigarette" habit. when i run its not that i get tired, its more that my lungs just dont feel like theyre taking in enough oxygen.

Shark
04-27-2004, 10:13 PM
Weed. Straight up. No calories. Keep it in moderation.

JRockTTU
04-27-2004, 11:16 PM
both lower testosterone levels which is bad. I have seen studies that both confirm and contradict that marijuana can increase estrogen production and cause gyno. Alcohol leaves you VERY dehydrated. I would say, other than the lowered test, weed would be better for you. For myself, when I drink beer I drink around 10 which is atleast 1000 calories. If I do that 3 times a week it's like adding a pound of fat almost (3500 calories= 1lb.). But if I smoke a little bit of weed then I might get the munchies, but I'm eating food, not empty calories.

Shao-LiN
04-27-2004, 11:36 PM
Alcohol has calories, weed makes yah hungry and you end up eating more calories...take a pick, hehe.

Ah, quantifying weed usage. I recommend 45mg of weed, every 4 hours, twice a week...yes.

heathj
04-28-2004, 01:05 AM
Don't worry about either. Smoking weed twice a week? Do not worry...Drinking?...as long as your not drinking every day..well, even if you did you could still make gains. I smoke almost every day(trying to quit) and I have drank as much as 5 days a week for several months in a row and have been fine with training.

Just see how your body reacts.

JTyrell710
04-28-2004, 05:10 AM
has any actually seen these so called studies where weed lowers your testosterone signifigantly???
i kno people who've heard of em, but never one who saw em

restless
04-28-2004, 06:34 AM
has any actually seen these so called studies where weed lowers your testosterone signifigantly???
i kno people who've heard of em, but never one who saw em

I could never find any. It's probably just one more myth.

pruneman
04-28-2004, 07:30 AM
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=1964220

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=3033703

Jasonl
04-28-2004, 07:46 AM
I found this on alcohol and muscle growth,

Alcohol & Muscle Growth Importantly for today's discussion, it appears that alcohol use inhibits muscular protein synthesis. In fact, this inhibitory effect of alcohol is most pronounced in fast muscle fibers, especially after prolonged alcohol use. The scenario would be detrimental for any athlete trying to gain muscle mass and strength through training. After all, isn't the goal of training to increase muscle protein synthesis? The problem is that creatine allows us to work harder, which is generally a good thing. However, this would also mean that muscle recovery is more critical while supplementing with creatine. Now, as alcohol consumption inhibits protein synthesis, a potentially fruitless situation may arise by mixing the two. That is, creatine and alcohol. Finally, there is also some indication that creatine also stimulates protein synthesis. This effect may underlie part of creatine's benefit. If so, then alcohol consumption would offset this benefit of creatine as well.

Taken from:http://www.criticalbench.com/creatineandbeer.htm

Ğragons
04-28-2004, 08:06 AM
well with a person losing weight, how many beers would u say is acceptable?

restless
04-28-2004, 08:06 AM
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=1964220

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=3033703

Interesting. I think when I searched I did for evidence of increased estrogen and about that I found nothing. If it lowers testosterone, then it should also lower estrogen.

But, on the other hand, they're using 50mg/Kg of THC, for an 80 kg male this would translate into 4 gr of THC. Smoking won't give you nothing near those levels even if you do nothing else 24 hours per day. You might manage it by eating hash or pollen, but never by smoking.

Do you know of studies in humans with more reasonable dosages?

geoffgarcia
04-28-2004, 08:10 AM
this would be an ideal question for a poll

weed>alcohol

Shao-LiN
04-28-2004, 08:58 AM
well with a person losing weight, how many beers would u say is acceptable?

Well, if you're serious about losing weight, I'd say none. But if you're hard up to drink, then chalk it up as a cheat day and then get over it.

Holto
04-28-2004, 12:44 PM

both of these studies use delta-9 THC

only a small percentage of THC in pot is delta-9

NL is really strong at 12-14% but Electric Haze can knock you into the atmosphere at 8% because it has a higer % of delta-9

just one thing that skews the results of these studies...

Restless makes a very good point too...

even if POT was PURE THC nobodys smokes 4g dubies...

Holto
04-28-2004, 12:47 PM
this is alot like the RAT studies with aspartame where they were fed 4x bodyweight intravenously

this is the equivalent of a human drinking a can every 3 seconds...

thutch90
04-28-2004, 02:35 PM
The only problem I see with Pot is the I will work tommorow idea.
-Travis

tryingtobebig
04-28-2004, 05:16 PM
Any negative effect of weed is far outweighed by its usefulness during a bulk.

JTyrell710
04-28-2004, 05:32 PM
yea i was gonna say, that is an insane amount of weed, and first of all nothin has been done with humans- and i'd say there would probably be some detrimental effects of smoking 4g's of anything, say .5grams is a meal (one big ass bowl or two), thats like feeding 8 meals a day of X food and saying its terrible for you.
There's nothing realistically conclusive here.

Ebu
04-28-2004, 09:51 PM
I would choose alcohol over weed. Weed is dirty. With alcohol, at least it is in a sealed package. Calorie wise, yeah, mj would win. But I would still choose to drink over mj.

Holto
04-29-2004, 11:26 AM
Weed is dirty

do you mean physically dirty ?

I guess in Canada it's more sacred

and we smoke more indoor

the US see's some angel dust and stuff that never makes it north of the border

BigMatt
04-29-2004, 12:09 PM
None of them.Juice is the ****.