PDA

View Full Version : Enova oil (DAG)

tryingtobebig
04-28-2004, 05:21 PM
I was wondering what everyone's opinion of enova oil (mentioned in UD2) is. Is it a good source of EFA's? Is it worth it?

Thanks.

(EDIT) The website is www.enovaoil.com

jds22
04-29-2004, 08:19 AM
I can't vouch for how effective it is, but I started taking it this week. My wife and I are doing UD2 and we have about two tablespoons of it per day. We just put it in our shakes, can't even tell it's there. Go over to Lyle's board and ask him.

Jerry

TheGimp
04-29-2004, 09:59 AM
Perhaps someone in the know could explain something about it to me - if I'm not mistaken polyunsaturated fat is linked to cancer and the majority of this oil is polyunsaturated. What are the implications? :)

geoffgarcia
04-29-2004, 10:06 AM
tryingtobebig, take an "i" out of the link above, you have two in there

I don't know...
but I collect useful nutritional information and store it in my journal, this is all the info I have about these particular fats

Saturated Fats
Most scientists state that this fat is not essential because we can make it from other fats. That may be correct up to a point. The human body does need saturated fats because they protect your organs and joints, while serving as an energy source.

The "establishment" does not recommend the intake of saturated fats because they supposedly have a negative affect on your heart function and cholesterol levels. Examples of food containing saturated fats are egg yolks, red meat, butter, sour cream, pork, cream cheese, and oils including olive oil (14%).

Polyunsaturated Fats
They serve as messengers and play an important role in muscle building. One omega 3 polyunsaturated fat is alpha-linolenic acid and it is an essential fatty acid.

One omega 6 polyunsaturated fat is another essential fatty acid (alpha linoleic acid). The essential fatty acid substructures that sound like measures of gas mileage called EPA and DHA are called marine oils and stand for eicosapapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid. Examples of polyunsaturated fats include corn oil, canola oil, flaxseed oil, cod liver oil and salmon.

Don't use oils high in polyunsaturated fats to cook because they will become hydrogenated and unstable when heated, i.e. safflower, canola, flax or corn.

Monounsaturated Fats
These fats are important in building muscle and losing fat. The most important source in this group is olive oil and extra virgin oil (canned extra virgin oil from Spain or Italy is the best source). Nuts like cashews/macadamia also are in this category.

Hydrogenated Fats
You should not consume these fats, period.
Examples include almost all commercial crackers, cookies and cakes, margarine, Crisco shortening and things like "innocent" artificial coffee creamers.

What is the optimal ratio of varying fats for health? My research is not finished so I am not sure yet, but if I had to play Jimmy the Greek, I would say 2:3:1 of polyunsaturated to monounsaturated to saturated fats.

Studies done with rats show that a high consumption of polyunsaturated fats will increase the size of the fat cells. Corn oil, specifically, and oils high in Omega 6 or other polyunsaturated oils can also increase fat size. Saturated fats increase the size and the volume or number of the fat cells, while monounsaturated don't do anything to the size of the fat cells.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/planet3.htm

at the bottom of this link (below) is a great chart that shows the ratio of omega6:omega3 in common foods

good health a diet that contains less than 30% of the fat coming from saturates (less than 30g of saturates per 100g fat) and 70% coming from polyunsaturates. Some of my colleagues even suggest that 10% of the fat coming from saturates (10g of saturates per 100g of fat) and 90% of the fat coming from polyunsaturates may be even better for optimal health.
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/qa/afc/afc_jan032003.htm

Enova Oil Breakdown (1tbsp, 14g):
Calories: 120
Fat: 14g
Sat: .5g
Poly: 7g
Mono: 5g
Carbs: 0
Protein: 0

Holto
04-29-2004, 11:21 AM
I don't think I would cook with it