PDA

View Full Version : Clean Bulk Vs Dirty Bulk

John0101
04-28-2004, 06:40 PM
In my previous bulk I did not eat clean. I was eating chips, pizza, cookies, etc. trying to pack in the calories. Does a clean bulk really have that much of an effect on BF levels during a bulk? Since there is no grantee that the extra weight will turn into muscle or fat.

What are your personal experiences with a clean bulk verus a dirty bulk?

Thanks in advance.

Dedicated
04-28-2004, 06:45 PM
I've never officially bulked but I plan to after I'm done with this cut. I would think a slow bulk would be best. Slowly increase the calories until you are gaining strength and/or size, then when the strength and/or size gains stop, increase them again. I dunno after all the hard work cutting I'm gonna take it really slow and slowly add the muscle, no need to rush, especially if you are content at your bf level which you should be since you are done cutting. In fact, after this cut I might eat maintenence for a month just to see how my body reacts, gonna take it reaaaaal slow. I think this is the best method. Goodluck.

Edit: If a dirty bulk is stuffing my face with fast food, then yea I've done that, and I got fat lol:)

Alke
04-28-2004, 07:07 PM
dont know, I found this site before I had a chance to do a dirty bulk.....

so I was clean all the way from 174 - 223, started out at 6.7% BF and ended up 18.4% BF

I think someone with a high metabolic rate could do alright with a dirty bulk, everyone is different. some people eat sh!t and get big with low BF. for myself, I am staying clean.....and eat dirty once a week :)

Paul Stagg
04-29-2004, 07:10 AM
I've tried both. I did much better on a 'dirty' bulk, where I essentially ate anything I wanted.

Keep in mind a couple of things:

Protein is king. Make getting your protein your first priority.
Eat your veggies and fruits.
Eat fiber

What tends to happen (at least to me) is that by eating fruits and veggies and getting my fiber, I really don't WANT to eat pizza every day.

ryuage
04-29-2004, 12:31 PM
I did a 'dirty' bulk and lets say I probably put on more fat then I did muscle, I have been on a clean bulk for about 7 weeks now and I must say the results are quite the opposite.

Max-Mex
04-29-2004, 01:31 PM
I did a mixture this cycle and it had mixed results I got stronger for sure, but I'm not liking the fat increase. Maybe next year when I bulk again, I'll try to stick to a clean bulk.

Vido
05-03-2004, 01:00 AM
I think it depends entirely on bodytype. Endos pretty much have to do clean bulks if they want to stay looking respectable, ectos can get away with a lot more crap. This is just what I've noticed by watching myself and friends.

PizDoff
05-03-2004, 01:14 AM
"I did a 'dirty' bulk and lets say I probably put on more fat then I did muscle, "

I agree....I'd rather the slower clean bulk keeping lower BF than a dirty bulk like I've done.

Spartacus
05-03-2004, 02:09 AM
I've tried both. I did much better on a 'dirty' bulk, where I essentially ate anything I wanted.

Keep in mind a couple of things:

Protein is king. Make getting your protein your first priority.
Eat your veggies and fruits.
Eat fiber

What tends to happen (at least to me) is that by eating fruits and veggies and getting my fiber, I really don't WANT to eat pizza every day.

yeah i agree... eating your veggies and fruit with enough protein can cover up the slack for a lot of dietary mistakes/cheats.

Buffster
05-03-2004, 04:38 AM
And how much Kcal's do you eat above maintenance when bulking clean?

greetz,
Ron

ryuage
05-03-2004, 06:14 AM
as mch as you want

Relentless
05-03-2004, 08:11 AM
I just finished a 'dirty' bulk and I have to say I made better gains that I'd ever expected. I definitely gained BF but also gained size and strength as I shot up from 215-234 from mid-January to mid-April... that's 20lbs in 3 months.

Paul makes very salient comments. I was only religious about getting enough protein and a minimum level of calories daily on the bulk, other than that the diet varied widely. I found that I felt and performed much better when I did eat 'cleaner' foods and I didn't usually enjoy the 'cheat' foods that much. That said I didn't hold back. Cheesecake, Ice Cream, cookie dough right from the tube, you name it, I ate it.

I also don't know if it's just me but when gaining weight that fast it seemed mostly localized around my 'prime' fat areas... waist area and glutes. At 234lbs I still had vascularity showing on my shoulders and arms, and cuts on my legs and upper body. Its just my midsection that went to ****.

All that said, i'm going to cut down from here to sub 10% in however long it takes on a slow, controlled cut. I expect to get there sometime in July or so. I'm already down to 226 after 2.5 weeks but then I always lose lots at the start of a cut. ;)

Beast
05-03-2004, 08:25 AM
I expect to get there sometime in July or so. I'm already down to 226 after 2.5 weeks but then I always lose lots at the start of a cut. ;)
That would be amazing if you did in that time, Cal. Good luck!

HahnB
05-03-2004, 08:47 AM
I kind of do a mix of the two. I don't eat all "dirty" foods but I don't eat all clean either. It's hard to get 4000 cals a day eating chicken breats and rice.

aidano
05-03-2004, 10:04 AM
I just finished a 'dirty' bulk and I have to say I made better gains that I'd ever expected. I definitely gained BF but also gained size and strength as I shot up from 215-234 from mid-January to mid-April... that's 20lbs in 3 months.

Paul makes very salient comments. I was only religious about getting enough protein and a minimum level of calories daily on the bulk, other than that the diet varied widely. I found that I felt and performed much better when I did eat 'cleaner' foods and I didn't usually enjoy the 'cheat' foods that much. That said I didn't hold back. Cheesecake, Ice Cream, cookie dough right from the tube, you name it, I ate it.

I also don't know if it's just me but when gaining weight that fast it seemed mostly localized around my 'prime' fat areas... waist area and glutes. At 234lbs I still had vascularity showing on my shoulders and arms, and cuts on my legs and upper body. Its just my midsection that went to ****.

All that said, i'm going to cut down from here to sub 10% in however long it takes on a slow, controlled cut. I expect to get there sometime in July or so. I'm already down to 226 after 2.5 weeks but then I always lose lots at the start of a cut. ;)

I agree..I make sure I get enough protein and split it over 6 meals a day. Apart from that I don't get too religious about what I eat, just not too much fast food. I've gained 7 or 8 pounds in the last month and some of that has been fat (mostly around the waist), but the muscle gains are very evident so I'm not worried about the fat.

I just enjoy life better when I'm not too strict on my bulks. I think it comes down to whether or not you can cope with dramatic muscle AND fat gains at the same time.

Shark
05-03-2004, 12:30 PM
Any bulk for me adds a ton of body fat as I just have a terrible metabolism. However, eating clean makes me feel better in general so I do like to do it that way. If i am busy and time is an issue I tend to bulk dirty though. Hence, my current fat ass state.

Saint Patrick
05-03-2004, 01:58 PM
Another vote for clean bulking

Ebu
05-03-2004, 03:37 PM
Clean bulking. With a lot of the "dirty bulk" foods, it's just empty calories. But, with bulking in general, you don't feel so bad cheating.

Ford Prefect
05-07-2004, 12:09 PM
The only dirty foods I eat when bulking is Prolab's N-Large. I have half a serving which is 40+g of distgustingly, dirty carbs. If I wasn't an ecto I'm sure I'd put on more fat. I have it with skim milk, so it's an easy way to grab 65+g of carb and 45g of protein.

Shao-LiN
05-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Any bulk for me adds a ton of body fat as I just have a terrible metabolism. However, eating clean makes me feel better in general so I do like to do it that way. If i am busy and time is an issue I tend to bulk dirty though. Hence, my current fat ass state.

Lower your calories a bit then.