PDA

View Full Version : Need help bulking up...

Dereksolo
04-29-2004, 08:07 AM
What is the best way to gain weight? I am 19, weigh 140lbs and am 5'7" with a high metabolism which makes it very hard for me to gain weight. How much calories should I eat per day and what percentage should be Carbs and Fats? Does it matter what foods I consume when trying to bulk up? Anyone have any food suggestions or helpful tips? I would really appreciate them. :bow:

TheGimp
04-29-2004, 08:36 AM
The number of calories you require to gain weight will depend upon many variables so it is impossible to say exactly. The best plan is to keep increasing the number of calories you eat a day each week by about 500 until you start gaining about 1 lb per week.

Make sure you eat at least 1g per lb of bodyweight (i.e. 140g) and at least 20% of your calories from fat (this is required for healthy hormone production). Good, healthy sources of fat would be fish, nuts, olive oil and avocados. Avoid saturated fat, monounsaturated is good. Supplement your diet with essential fatty acids (EFAs) from fish oil. (Or flax oil as a poor alternative). Make up the rest of your calories from carbs. Good sources would be whole grain products such as whole wheat bread, brown rice and whole wheat pasta, sweet potatoes, beans and veggies. Have some slow digesting protein before bed (cottage cheese would be a good choice) to prevent catabolism when you sleep. Check out the sticky at the top of this forum for a list of good food choices.

As a hard gainer you may find it particularly difficult to get the calories in. Some home made weight gainer shakes consisting of whole milk mixed with whey protein, some oats, fruit even some olive oil can help give you a boost.

Dereksolo
04-29-2004, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the info Gimp. I will start increasing and logging my calorie intake from now on. :thumbup: