PDA

View Full Version : Stagnant Weight

Strider2
04-29-2004, 08:11 AM
I have been cutting since the 1st of march and I have dropped from 171 to 164 pounds. I have been losing an average of 1 pound a week. I have dropped down from 16% to about 12%.

I was originally eating 2200 calories but this slowly went down to 2000 calories. The last few 2-3 weeks however my weight hasn't moved from 164. I am reluctant to drop the calories any more though. The only reason I can think of is that my body has become used to the low calories and is treating it like maintenance.

The only thing I can think of is coming off the diet and eating what I want for a couple of days see I if it can reset my metabolism.

Any suggestions on what I can do?

TheGimp
04-29-2004, 08:39 AM
Yes I think having some kind of reset would be good, especially as you've gotten to 12% bf and have been cutting for some time. (eight weeks?)

Dedicated
04-29-2004, 08:41 AM
You could drop the calories, 1800 cals isn't going to make you lose tons of muscle. Muscle loss does happen, but at your height/weight it would take like 1500 or less over a prolonged period to lose a significant amount. I would say try 1800 on offdays and 2000 on workout days for a week and see how it works. A refeed day might also help, not sure though if you really need one yet. What does your routine look like?

If you want to try a refeed day instead do it once a week and on a day that you lift, eat 1.1 X Maintanence on that day. Eat high GI carbs at every meal that day, and don't take fish oil on that day.

AllUp
04-29-2004, 09:03 AM
Personally I'd maybe add a load day as dedicated mentioned. It tends to kick you off that plateau. :)

Also switch up your cardio routine a little if you're doing cardio.

Strider2
04-29-2004, 10:20 AM
thanks for the replies.

Yes today is the 60th day of cutting. I plan on cutting for another 4 weeks and then getting ready for my first bulk. The plan was to get to 10% then bulk.

I don't do cardio, I've never really been a fan of it. I'm thinking maybe I should use some though. Maybe about 40 minutes of HIIT a week.

Refeeds may be an idea but i thought that they were usually for people in the single digits (BF).

I've heard some good things about UD2.0, I might try that on my next cut.

raniali
04-29-2004, 11:55 AM
refeeds are important for all dieters -- although the frequency and duration of them vary with bf. i would suggest 'refeeding' for a few days. yes, a few days. after 60 days of restricted cals, a few days would do you well to reset and reinvigorate your body. read the sticky at the top of this forum for a lot more discussion on refeeds.

AllUp
04-29-2004, 02:22 PM
I don't do cardio, I've never really been a fan of it. I'm thinking maybe I should use some though. Maybe about 40 minutes of HIIT a week.

Its ace for when you hit a plateau. :) Once you start dropping again you can ease off and incorporate it as needed as i see cardio isn't ur thing.

Refeeds may be an idea but i thought that they were usually for people in the single digits (BF).

Refeeds should work at higher BF%'s assuming its to a lesser degree than your eat 90 dollars worth of food in a day kind of refeed. :)

iLUDEd had good results with UD2 and went from like 18% to 12% (double digits)
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46791

another good recent thread.>UD2 and lossing BF when above the single digits
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46699

Shark
04-29-2004, 06:19 PM
After 8 weeks of hard dieting its possible that your thyroid has shut down from sensing starvation. At this point you need most likely need to refill your liver glycogen to moderate T3 production. To what raniali said and refeed for several days. Drink orange juice, eat some sandwiches with white bread, and don't go below 2000 calories ever. If you stop losing at 2000 start doing cardio. But add the cardio after you finish your refeed.

Strider2
04-30-2004, 03:43 AM
Thanks, good info.

GrindingOut
05-01-2004, 06:51 PM
man this thread is great...

I'm only 5'8"...I went from over 300lbs to down to about 268 late last year all from lifting at home and basketball...then i dropped another 20lbs between late last year and March 21st of this year...I joined a gym on that day and since that day about 2 months ago...i've lost about 10lbs...so now i'm about 238...my diet has been pretty restricted...probably about 2000 calories..then have maybe 3-4 cheat meals towards the weekend...but even with the cheat meals...calories probably never went over 2500 a day...

But lately...it's been HARDER and HARDER to lose...i actually think i gained a couple pounds after last week...

I workout 3-4 times a week...basketball for about 40 mins...moderate pace..shooting around...then i would lift for about 35 mins...then do 30-40 minutes of fairly high intensity cardio...about average 160 heart beats a minute...

I couldn't understand how I was GAINING while doing that much cardio...but the reset of the matabolism seems to make sense...

I've dropped all this weight in spurts over the course of about 2 years...i'd go hard for months...then plateau...start back up again harder...lose...then plateau again...it seems to be another plateau..so i guess i'll do as instructed here and attempt to reset my metabolism...

great info

Strider2
05-01-2004, 07:21 PM
go for it. I'm on my fourth day of eating over maintenance. I'm not counting cals, just eating. I'm gonna take another bash at my diet on Monday and see how it goes.

Congrats on the weight you've lost so far.