PDA

View Full Version : Improving my deadlift

EdgarMex
04-29-2004, 11:33 AM
Today I maxed on deads after not maxing for quite a while. I noticed that with the heavier weight the problem was to start pulling the bar off the floor. Once tha bar started moving it wasn't too hard to go all the way up and lock it out.

What would be a good way to streghten that weakness?

Shark
04-29-2004, 11:38 AM
Are you doing SLDL or are you bending your legs?

EdgarMex
04-29-2004, 11:41 AM
I bend my legs, at the start position my hips are a bit higher than parallel

Anthony
04-29-2004, 11:47 AM
I'm confused about what you think your weakness is ... either way ....

Weak off the floor, do platform pulls. Load up the bar, stand on a 3-4" box and pull. They are hard.

Weak lockout, do rack pulls. Set up the power rack so the bar is just below knee level and pull. You can usually use a lot more weight on these.

I think it's a good idea to rotate all 3 types of deads (normal, platform pull, rack pull).

EdgarMex
04-29-2004, 11:53 AM
Lockout is fine, problem is off the floor, so I'll try the platform pulls, I'll just have to build the box since I workout at home.

About rotating the 3 types of deads, how do you go about it? do you do one type for a few weeks and then switch to another type for another few weeks or do you do one type this week, don another next week and then change it on the third week again?

Anthony
04-29-2004, 01:14 PM
Trial and error. If you feel you can increase your 1RM the following week with the same exercise, give it a shot. One of the things westside promotes is changing the exercise when you plateau, but using a new exercise that is similar. Depending on your level of training, you may progress for many weeks (novice) or you may only progress 1-2 weeks in a row with the same exercise (intermediate/advanced). It's not exact, but it gives you an idea of what to expect.

My suggestion, and take this with a grain of salt - I'm not an expert, is to start with platform pulls until you hit a plateau. Then switch to normal and do the same thing. Then rack pulls. After this, you should have a pretty good idea of where you stand.

EdgarMex
04-29-2004, 01:16 PM
Cool, thanks for the advice.