PDA

View Full Version : Cardio machines

NormalDude
04-29-2004, 12:10 PM
I do different things for cardio. Usually it is between the bike and elliptical machine. Now I do 30 miinutes after working out 3 - 5 times a week. When I do the bike it says I burn about 150 calories. When I do the elliptical I burn about 375 calories. I do them both for the same amount of time and intensity. I am tired when I get done from both of them. Which is better for burning fat and is the machine accurate in tellnig me how many calories I am burning?

Madd Hatter
04-29-2004, 12:23 PM
Answer to 2nd question: Hell no.
Answer to 1st question: Probably the elliptical. Just do something that involves good movement of both arms and legs

geoffgarcia
04-29-2004, 12:30 PM
the more data you input into the machine the more accurate it will be.
Weight
etc...

I'd guesstimate they might be off by +/- 15%

NormalDude
04-29-2004, 03:49 PM
So then the elliptical is better?

ryuage
04-29-2004, 04:56 PM
id guesstimate the elliptical is 100% off haha, cause it tells me in 1 hour ill have burned 1500-2000 calories.

Chicker
04-29-2004, 05:52 PM
I prefer the elliptical, but I don't know that it's better...I mean, it might be, I don't really know. I tend not to use the machines so much for cardio, for me it's a harder work out if I'm outside doing something (but obviously I'm stuck with the machines in the winter)..

Glaim
04-29-2004, 06:36 PM
id guesstimate the elliptical is 100% off haha, cause it tells me in 1 hour ill have burned 1500-2000 calories.

I've noticed this myself....I have a stationary bike and it tells me that in 30 minutes I burn 750 calories. Is the default weight 450 lbs or something?

NormalDude
04-30-2004, 02:30 PM
Hah thats too fuuny. No one seems to have the right answer. Well fcuk it then I will do both

AllUp
04-30-2004, 02:39 PM
Elliptical seems to burn more I would think, as with the bike some of the resistance as weight is reduced due to sitting. Not to mention with elliptical, arms and torso are both in the mix, and your working more bodyparts overall. Definitely Elliptical IMHO.

Ebu
04-30-2004, 04:44 PM
Elliptical machines are for foos (cept for the females ; ) )
I will personally go no where near an elliptical, unless you paid me. Why not just hit a treadmill? But if your going to choose, Id say the elliptical prolly burns more than the bike in the same amount of time.

SO, my answer is the elliptical. (Never thought I would say that)

Also:

for me it's a harder work out if I'm outside doing something

I don't like running and the such outside, even when its nice. I hate running, and I don't want to associate suffering with a nice day, haha.

Beast
04-30-2004, 05:13 PM
Treadmill would burn the most calories per unit time.

NormalDude
05-01-2004, 01:16 AM
Treadmill or running would mess me up. I get shin splints easy from running. So I need very low impact. Elliptical or bike seem to offer the lowest of impact. Thats why I use either or

AllUp
05-01-2004, 02:25 AM
Yep, That would have been my first if it were a choice. :D

PiKappaWRX
05-01-2004, 12:30 PM
I just do it all, bike, elliptical (w/ and w/ out arm movements), treadmill, and outside running. its always good to mix things up and keep your body guessing. whenever i do different things, i find that i get better results from my cardio. to me, its just like changing up your workouts in the weight room, your body has to work harder to adapt so it will, and by working harder, better results come with.

JSully
05-01-2004, 12:55 PM
I do outside running, treadmill running, elliptical w/arms, diff elliptical w/out arms (targets more leg muscles because of resistance angles), outside pedal bike, and very rarely stationary bike. I hate that damned thing! I also hit the heavy bag outside for 1/2 hour to an hour at a time.